Tell me about the Tour of the Cairngorms route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Tell me about the Tour of the Cairngorms route

Post by Dan_K »

Got a pass for a few days in April and fancied a bit of quiet time on my own so am going to head up to Scotland for a few days and pootle about.
Have got my heart set on doing the tour of the Cairngorms route starting and finishing in Aviemore. I believe it's around 115 miles so i've given myself 4 days with the idea to roll around it in 3 and have one day for if I divert off route to distilleries or have issues or am just plain lazy/slow.
I know a few on here have done the longer Cairngorms loop race but I won't be adding on the extra loop.

Few questions, looking at the route, it passes through a few towns - I take it there places to restock en route?
Any recommendations for things to do or see on my way round?
Anyone know of anywhere in Aviemore I can leave a bag? I'd like to have some fresh clothes to travel home in and i'll be going up by coach.
I'm guessing that Scotland at the end of April can be anything from sunshine/snow/rain so fingers crossed for nice weather.
FLV

Re: Tell me about the Tour of the Cairngorms route

Post by FLV »

Hey, no Idea on aviemore as I started and finished in Blair Athol (which has the odd shop and pub) the couple of times I've done the tour of the cairngorms.

From memory we restocked in Kingussie, decent co-op here, chippy's etc. I dont remember the pubs being great. Its a quick detour after descending out of Glen Tromie before heading to feshie bridge. Not that far from aviemore though.

Tomintoul is probably next. Whilst there was a shop here, we only just caught it open and it didnt have loads of stuff. There is however a nice pub (glen Avon Hotel) which does decent food. Theres a distillery or two round here too.
Also in tomintoul and not to be missed in my opinion is a shop called the Whiskey Castle. The owner is very very enthusiastic about whiskey, and very knowledgable. He also has a lot of them for tasting and had no problem entertaining muddy mountain bikers for a while either. We did buy from him too (he will ship things home for you).

Braemar has a fair bit of stuff. OK pub or two, spar (I think) but also right next to the shop is a butchers. The butchers has pre cooked food in stock, Plum chicken stirfry etc, very tasty stuff for heating on your stove if wild camping). Outdoor shop here too which was good for us as last april it snowed like crazy overnight on us and freezing for the ride over the glen back to blair.
As an extra, the public toilets here are some of the warmest I've ever used. I was in there about half an hour waming my kit up :oops:

It being scotland, water re-supply was plentyful from the rivers.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

If you don't want to go by coach, here was an offer in the Scottish Sun last week for any single train journey in Scotland for £9:50 until end April thru Scotrail. I'll dig out the code if you need it.

Edit: SUNOFFER13
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks for the info FLV. That snow looks worrying!!

Plan is to wild camp but if the forecast is truly terrible, i'll book into somewhere like a hostel last minute. That whisky shop looks good!

Thanks for the code Jamie but i'll be heading up from London on an overnight coach and looking at the ScotRail site, the offer is only for journeys that start and finish inside Scotland.
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

Try the Old Bridge Inn in Aviemore. Its a lovely pub with good food, and they have a bunkhouse next door so might let you leave a bag there for a few days?

If not then there is a good bike shop, Bothy Bikes, who might be able to help also.

Backcountry Biking might also help you out with a storage if you asked nicely. I don't know them but they were in MBR recently and seem pretty cool.

I suppose you could also ask at Glenmore Lodge.

If you're in Aviemore for a meal, particularly breakfast, you need to go to the Mountain Cafe (above an outdoor shop) - great breakfasts and all manner of cakes and things... :-)
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
FLV

Post by FLV »

Theres a SYH in tomintoul, and in (or near I forget) braemar (bunkhouse here too I think)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Cheers guys, hopefully the weather will be kind. I plan to camp out anyway but it may be nice to spend one night warm and dry if the weather's terrible...

Looks like there will be plenty of options for food though so i'll just carry 2 dehydrated meals for emergencies and a few snacks.

I guess i'll have to hope someone takes pity on me with my luggage. :lol:
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Did the tour twice, once alone, then a year later with a friend

Started Blair Atholl heading north over Meall an Uillt Chreagaich, then down to Glen Feshie - overnight in a bunkhouse sort of B&B
(a tough day, 27 miles over desolate hills, some good tracks, some faint, but rideable 95% - definitely need compass and navigational skills)

Second day through Rothiemurchus, past Loch Morlich, then Ryvoan Bothy, Dorbach Lodge, Tomintoul - B&B there.
(good riding but a bit tricky to find the way over to Dorbach Lodge. From there fairly straightforward BUT do not just take a track because it looks obvious - I have done this and ended up going wrong, you do need to watch your compass/gps)

Day 3 head south towards Loch Builg... ascend Culardoch (good track) then down to Braemar

Day 4 head west for White Bridge, then south towards Falls of Tarf...
either :
1) straightforwardly back down Glen Tilt to Blair Atholl or
2) a lot harder and longer :- cross the river and head for Fealar Lodge, good track all tjhe way to Daldhu, then NW via Allt Glen Loch, then SW all the way to Loch Moraig, and easily down to Blair Atholl.

Look for multi-day epics
http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/

Hope this is of use

Regards

Ericrobo
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks for the link Ericrobo it's a good read.

I've allowed 4 days but as I'll be camping I won't really be against the clock so will see how things go.

Was looking at paper maps as a backup but as per usual, it'll be several OS maps and even a custom map can't quite cover the whole route :roll:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Dan_K wrote:I'm guessing that Scotland at the end of April can be anything from sunshine/snow/rain so fingers crossed for nice weather.
You'll have all those before breakfast :D

Highly recomend taking the inner loop that goes north bound through Glen Feshie if the weathers suitable. Its one of the most wonderful places i've ever been and really sums up the Cairngorms.

Mostly rideable if the ground is dry. One section could be a bit interesting if its been churned up by vehicles over the winter, but its worth the pain.

1 day Aviemore to Tomitoul
1 Day Tomitoul to Breamar
1 Day Breamar to Ruigh Aiteachain
1 Day Ruigh Aiteachain to Aviemore

Reasonable daily milage and back up options if the weathers poor. The YHA in Tomitoul is quite good and theres a cafe, and a local corner shop.

Also be prepared to get your feet wet crossing a river or two ;)
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi Dan, the Harvey 40k Cairngorm map will cover most of what you want. If you are going via Glenfeshie as long as you follow the single track road out to the lodge and over the the bothy you will just cycle of the edge and back on again, Glen Tromie not so much....
I live in Glenmore, close to the lodge so you can leave some gear with me if you want, it can be a starting point for most of the rides you are interested in. I did the trip from here via glen Tromie, Tilt and then through Loch Builg and home via Tomintoul in 3days, about 220km. Plenty of scope for wild camping along the route. I have the printed maps for the trip if you want a set, a day to an A4 sheet, double sided, and then just carried said 40k Harvey map just in case.
If you want more info etc just PM me. There's loads of options to put a multi day tour together from Aviemore.

Cheers
Gari

Trip report link.
https://racksonracksoff.wordpress.com/2 ... r-day-one/
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks Gari.

I'll order that Harvey's map. Cheers for the offer of the map sheets but I'll be using GPS with the Harvey map as backup so I won't need them.
How similar is the route you did to "standard" Cairngorms loop (minus the inner loop)? From what I understand, I'm looking at doing the standard tour of the cairngorms loop.

May take you up on the offer of a kit drop although I was thinking of booking a hostel in Aviemore for the 3rd night (my 4th day is likely to be a backup really) and so I'd ask them to look after a bag for me. Saves detouring to get a bag and then heading back to Aviemore for the coach. Will let you know though.

Nice blog. The more I read, the more excited I am about going! Only been to Scotland once before and that was Glasgow city centre!
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

Hi Buddy

Just popping in to say We would happily look after a bag, if the Hostel wont, I live 5 min cycle from the hostel.
In fact the night your staying gis a shout and i@ll come a swing the lantern with you over a beveridge in the pub next door.

Andy

http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Backcountrybiking wrote:Hi Buddy

Just popping in to say We would happily look after a bag, if the Hostel wont, I live 5 min cycle from the hostel.
In fact the night your staying gis a shout and i@ll come a swing the lantern with you over a beveridge in the pub next door.

Andy

Sounds good Andy. I'll give you a shout nearer the time.....
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Hmmm.... what are the chances of even being able to ride this route at the end of April with all the recent snow?

Is this likely to be a weekend of hiking instead??!!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Dan_K wrote:Hmmm.... what are the chances of even being able to ride this route at the end of April with all the recent snow?

Its a way off yet. hopefully theres a good melt before then, hopefully the melt dosnt destroy the trails too...
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

FLV wrote:
Dan_K wrote:Hmmm.... what are the chances of even being able to ride this route at the end of April with all the recent snow?

Its a way off yet. hopefully theres a good melt before then, hopefully the melt dosnt destroy the trails too...
Yeah, that's what i'm worried about. I was hoping for dryish trails rather than a slogfest. I've booked the time off anyway so I could always go walking and do some summit bivvies instead and do this later in the year.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Dan_K wrote: I've booked the time off anyway so I could always go walking and do some summit bivvies instead and do this later in the year.
Dan,
Im going to be doing this Mid August (2nd or 3rd wk, no firm date yet so flexible)
If timings suit you and you fancy doing it with company let me know
Cheers
Mart
2924 miles per Gallon
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Mart wrote:
Dan_K wrote: I've booked the time off anyway so I could always go walking and do some summit bivvies instead and do this later in the year.
Dan,
Im going to be doing this Mid August (2nd or 3rd wk, no firm date yet so flexible)
If timings suit you and you fancy doing it with company let me know
Cheers
Mart
Thanks Mart. I'm heading to Iceland at the start of August so unlikely i'm afraid. If the conditions don't suit in April, i'll probably head back up in September. I enjoy walking as much as cycling so won't lose out too much if April is a bit optomistic for passable trails.
Mike

Post by Mike »

hi Dan, im also doing this end of April start of May i have four weeks off so got plenty of time im also heading across to torridon to bike packing the whole trip. some good tips above. what dates are u up there we may pass on the trail
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm up there from thurs 25/4 - sun 28/4. I'll be on a rigid ss giant 26er with a red dry bag on the bars. Wave as you pass me :lol:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Heading northwards tomorrow night......

How are the conditions? Sunshine and 19 degrees C in the sunny south.....

Am I right to risk death by leaving the down jacket at home and relying on a Montane Fireball smock with optional Enlightened quilt hobo cape combo??!!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Did you finalise a route?

I'm planning to head up late summer and toying with routes just now
Last edited by restlessshawn on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dan_K wrote:Heading northwards tomorrow night......

How are the conditions? Sunshine and 19 degrees C in the sunny south.....

Am I right to risk death by leaving the down jacket at home and relying on a Montane Fireball smock with optional Enlightened quilt hobo cape combo??!!
Frost forecast over the weekend - with wintry showers on the hills. Having said that, I've been relying n my Prism jacket all winter and I've been fine so you should be too.

Wave on your way past :)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

restlessnative wrote:Did you finalise a route?

I'm planning to head up late summer and toying with routes just now
I'm doing the classic tour of the cairngorms loop. Starting and finishing in Aviemore. Looks like mainly forestry and land rover tracks which is more suited to my kind of riding. Here's a link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 98e357b4c1

Scotroutes, I'll give you a wave!