This should work, right?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

This should work, right?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Singular Gryphon.
10 speed bar end shifter.
Middleburn cranks with triple spider, 32T ring in middle.
10 speed chain.
Deore 11 to 42 cassette.
SLX 11 speed mech.

Just can't get reliable shifting from about 4th sprocket.
Wont get to 42T whatever I've tried.

Puzzled at mo. Have I missed something obvious?
redefined_cycles

Re: This should work, right?

Post by redefined_cycles »

I always understood it was the 9 speed mtb mechs (Shimano flavours) that had/worked with 10 speed road shifters. Thats what I had running anyway with a 9 spd mtb xt or slx rear mech on a 32 cassette and compact up front double crankset (50/34)...

If i had planned to use a dinner plate cassette I'd probably have struggled and had to ger at least a wolftooth rear mech hanger adaptor involved.

Sure Colin will be along in morning who knows alot more on this dept (and others :smile: )
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

The 10 speed bar end shifter and SLX mech arent compatible due to different pull ratios. Your options are;

-Try a 9 speed mtb mech, which has the same pull ratio as a 10 speed road mech. You may need a wolftooth roadlink (for non shadow mechs - Sunrace do a copy) or goat link for shadow mechs
-Use one of the pulleys to compensate. Jtech shiftmate or wolftooth tanpan
-You could use an mtb shifter and mount it on one of those extensions in front of bars. Something like this https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... ssory-bar/
-try a 10 speed road mech with a roadlink

The 9 speed mtb mech is my prefered option
Last edited by wriggles on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ yes
10 speed bar end shifter.
Road or MTB(microshift)?

Shimano Road 10s is 1.7 pull ratio so works with 1.7 pull ratio 8-9s Shimano MTB kit.
10s MTB is 1.2 ratio
11s is about 1.1 according to the link below

Won't work unless you can switch the shifter to friction or get the shifter and mech on the same pull ratio.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-beh ... atibility/ - more here
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yeah good point James. I assumed it was a Shimano shifter. Not tried a Microshift shifter
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Damn. Forgot about the pull ratio difference!

I started with a really old XT 9 speed mech but couldn't get it to clear the dinner plate sprocket.

In swapping for something to clear that I forgot about the other issues.

Hey ho, off to raid the parts bin and see if theres anything that might work with a goat link, I guess.

And yes, shimano bar end shifter that are indexed (dont think it can be switched to friction). Second potential solution sounds like a microshift 10 speed MTB ratio bar end shifter (if such a thing exists).

Ah the joys 🤪 and thanks for the advice 😎
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Seems like you're sorted. As an aside I was wondering if the new Altus 9-speed rear mech would work. Rated max cassette size is 36T but we know Shimano are a bit conservative about these things.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And yes, shimano bar end shifter that are indexed (dont think it can be switched to friction). Second potential solution sounds like a microshift 10 speed MTB ratio bar end shifter (if such a thing exists).
Or simply buy a Dia-compe power ratchet shifter because it'll work with anything and everything :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You can buy a cable pulley widget thingy which allows a road shifter to work with a mtb rear mech. Wolftooth components I think.
jameso

Post by jameso »

wriggles wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:49 am Yeah good point James. I assumed it was a Shimano shifter. Not tried a Microshift shifter
Wouldn't work here either way : ) was just wondering about what the fix options might be. AFAIK all Shimano shifters can have the index switched off but I haven't used the 10s versions so not sure, just 8 and 9s. Microshift doesn't seem to have a friction option.
Second potential solution sounds like a microshift 10 speed MTB ratio bar end shifter (if such a thing exists).
- they do, they're not great ime though. It's because of where the indents/'index click' point is and where the shift happens compared to where the lever settles back to... vague at times but functional. I've used them for years but the Shimanos and SRAMs are much better. And they will only work with a 10s MTB mech, though if it clears the 42 all's good.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

My spare mechs are all really old XT (M761) or slightly less old XT (M772).

Have ordered a sunrace derallieur expander thingy.

Stu's nuclear option is in reserve (dia compe).

Bloody barend shifters are (IIRC) Dura-ace so the rear one is index shifting only.

Not sure how I've managed to bodge stuff so easily previously.

Waaaahhhhh!

:oops:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Middleburn (BETD) do a direct mount 32t narrow wide which looks nice and neat, just put one on my Inbred

Sunrace expander, I had to dremel a little inside to get it to sit on my hanger
chris n

Post by chris n »

jameso wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:53 am
wriggles wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:49 am Second potential solution sounds like a microshift 10 speed MTB ratio bar end shifter (if such a thing exists).
- they do, they're not great ime though. It's because of where the indents/'index click' point is and where the shift happens compared to where the lever settles back to... vague at times but functional. I've used them for years but the Shimanos and SRAMs are much better. And they will only work with a 10s MTB mech, though if it clears the 42 all's good.
It feels to me like the detents in the Microshift shifter are too big for the ball (or whatever mechanism they use) that does the indexing. I've found that I get better shifting if I back the preload off as much as I dare on the screw that holds it all together - it helps the cable tension pull the shifter into a known position rather than being held slightly to one side of the sweet spot.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

restlessshawn wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:26 am Middleburn (BETD) do a direct mount 32t narrow wide which looks nice and neat, just put one on my Inbred

Sunrace expander, I had to dremel a little inside to get it to sit on my hanger
I need to get the gearing working before spaffing on a direct mount ring. You're right they do look good, though it's a bit stoking the fire / looking at the mantle-piece as well :wink:

I'd seen mention of the need to maybe fettle the Sunrace adapter, cheers.

Fingers crossed it all works :|
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:54 am Or simply buy a Dia-compe power ratchet shifter because it'll work with anything and everything :wink:
how does that work then? do they have a cable throw that covers all possible ratios?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

techno wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:20 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:54 am Or simply buy a Dia-compe power ratchet shifter because it'll work with anything and everything :wink:
how does that work then? do they have a cable throw that covers all possible ratios?
So far as I know they have no detents / indexing. You shift by a bit of guesswork and trimming, just like bikes "back in the day". I suspect Shimano BE shifters working in friction mode would achieve the same, however, the version I have is one that cannot be set to friction mode.

What a palaver ;-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Tim says, there's no indexing. You simply move the lever until you've moved it enough and find yourself in the gear required. Dead quick to change gears without the click, click, click and you very quickly learn how much is enough.
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:54 pm
As Tim says, there's no indexing. You simply move the lever until you've moved it enough and find yourself in the gear required. Dead quick to change gears without the click, click, click and you very quickly learn how much is enough.
So they work with Shimano shadow 10sp mechs then?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep. They'll work with any combination.
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 pm
Yep. They'll work with any combination.
Thanks.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Like the man says:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifte ... n-control/

Bar End Shift Levers
H-bar end fit
Power Ratchet friction control
Cables NOT included
No Index positions… works with all systems
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fingers crossed the latest delivery solves this:
Attachments
20200618_153153_copy_111x155.jpg
(3.9 KiB) Downloaded 812 times
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fitted and so far it seems to have sorted the drivetrain issue. With a following wind I might get a shakedown ride in today / this week.

Incidentally, I always seem to lack cable end crimps when I'm building up bikes and trimming cables. So I bought one of those 100-for-£3-or-whatever packs recently. After searching high and low whilst fettling this weekend I can only conclude I left them in the bag they and the (inappropriate) SLX mech came in and has now gone in the bin. So I still have no crimps. Bag of arse!

:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So I still have no crimps. Bag of arse!
Pop a bit of heat shrink on it or simply solder it :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I am embarrassed to say that chuff knows where either of those items are in my garage. I tried the solder thing before but it kept "sliding" off. I seem to remember from schooldays you need a powder or some-such to help with soldering.

I am a chuffin' numpty at the mo :lol: