1 X

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

1 X

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've noticed most bikes are coming with 1 x setup now. Lots of pros and cons published on the internet. What's people's thoughts and experiences on this setup? I'm still running a triple. 😁
RIP

Re: 1 X

Post by RIP »

rocklobstercat wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:10 pm a triple
Good man. That'll be just you and me on Here then :-bd .

Shaf's right, 1x has got out of hand... 51 indeed.....

It'll come full circle fear not.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I just got rid of my last triple. Nothing wrong with the gearing, I just wanted hydro brakes so went 2x11 at the same time. So, seven bikes. Four are 2x11, one is 2x10, one is 1x11 and one is 1x1. Fir the use case of the latter two, both have sufficient gear range.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I waited from 2006 til 2018 to leave 9x3... Currently on the 1x11 and kinda love it. Maybe not for the right reasons though. Yesterday (well, day before... been on night shift, erm, lost count... yeah, think it was yesterday) I gave it a 'oh sugar, this could do with a clean' wash. Just having the front 1 ring to worry about is such a nice feeling.

Get it. 1 x whatever - as long as you're not silly and forget to get an appropriately big rear sprocket and small front chainring - I doubt you'd regret it.

4 thumbs up from me

:-bd

Well done industry standard 'we need to sell you everything, good or cr*p' people. You got it right with the 1x stuff
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:12 pm 51 indeed.....
51 was so last week, SRAM have gone 52
RIP

Post by RIP »

#-O
PaulB2 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:51 pm
#-O X_X
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:17 pm I just got rid of my last triple. Nothing wrong with the gearing, I just wanted hydro brakes so went 2x11 at the same time. So, seven bikes. Four are 2x11, one is 2x10, one is 1x11 and one is 1x1. Fir the use case of the latter two, both have sufficient gear range.
C'mon 'Routes, there's loads still to collect (getting a bit like postboxes this is).... adding three different Bromptons would also give you 1x2, 1x3, and 2x3(6)...... never mind Rohloff....

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Depends I dont slavish adhere to it and none of my bikepacking bikes are single ring. Its a mixture of practical and fashion IMHO and not necessarily lways the right solution
For example my cx bike is used for a pancake flat commute and actual hills/mountains
Its pretty hard to have a gear that works optimally for both scenarios with just a single ring - it can be done but both flat and hilly are a bit compromised so its not a great solution for these needs
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I understand the simplicity but seems like technology is going backwards. Less gears, less choice and less combinations. One thing I can't work out is if you're powering up a hill out of the saddle in a mid gear and want to get down to a small gear quickly once you're at the top you can do so quickly and easily by changing down a chainring. With a 1 x you'll have to grind through maybe 5 gears on the rear cassette. And how much do these big cassettes weigh?😯
FLV

Post by FLV »

Going 1x banished chainsuck for me. That was enough.

Ive hot 2x on the gravelwanker as it sees a lot of 70/30 road/trail miles and it makes sense for that.

For the mtbs, ive used 32 front, 11.46 rear for ages but am fitting 30front 11.42 rear

Works enough generally. I might miss the easiest gear loaded up. If i do, ill drop to 28t front.

I personally think the 10.51 or 52 only give an advantage if you run a big front ring to get yet speed up on the roads
Boab

Post by Boab »

The only issue I have with 1x11 on my gravel bike, is the noticeable gaps in gears when on the road. It's either too easy, or just too hard. Having said that I would only go back to 2x if I had a dedicated road bike, I don't miss it for the majority of the riding I do...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I went from 3x9 to 1x10 on the same bike and to be honest I much prefer 1x10 (with 42 cassette and 30,32 or 34 front depending on where I'm riding). My local trails are fine with a 34 front as it's not at all hilly, but if I go to Wales or Peak then 30 or 32 is good. I only really notice the lack of gears when pedaling downhill but it still tops out at around 32-34kmh, so it's OK.

Overall it took a chunk of weight out as well (heavier cassette, but lose shifter, front mech and chainrings).
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

1x1 works well enough, why complicate it?! :lol:
Dean

Post by Dean »

I went to 1x11 in 2018 from 3x8 and not having to think about what front chain ring to choose when negotiating technical uphill riding was one less thing to worry about. Less going on in the cockpit, one less cable to get in the way of handlebar bag, etc. I have a standard Shimano 30x11-46 for bikepacking with weight on the bike and I can change the front chainring in two minutes to a 36 tooth for blasting around the local (flatish) woods unencumbered. I am considering 28x10-50 in the future (or just do some more training)

Gravel and road still require 2x but I cannot see myself getting another crosscountry hardtail with two front chainrings.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The only bike I possess with a single chainring has 14 different ratios at the back :wink:
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Is having a front derailleur to change chain rings not a better idea than doing it by hand? I thought that's what it was invented for. I'm interested in trying 1 x, no doubt I'll think it's great and not go back 😁👍
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You don't lose as many gears as you might think. On a 3x9 or 2x10 there are some duplicates and quite a few near duplicates, i.e. the gear ratios are close enough that they might as well be a duplicate. Remove the duplicates and the various small ring to small cog type combos and you might only have 13 or 14 usable and different ratios out of your 27.

As for range, I reckon I've lost two to three ratios in going 1x but ... on a typical ride I'll rarely use either top or bottom gear so it's not really a problem. The only downside is if you really have to drop four or five ratios very quickly in which case you do have to go through the intervening gears. It's rare that that happens though, not enough to negate all the positives.

My MTBs are all 1x, two are 1x10 and one is 1x11. I wouldn't have 1x on my road bike though.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Oooo it’ll work with my rear derailleur :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:24 pm
Oooo it’ll work with my rear derailleur :-bd
Your rear derailleur is worth about the same as my entire bike :grin:
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

The only bike I possess with a single chainring has 14 different ratios at the back :wink:
Well yes... I have one of those too. It still has a bigger range than SRAM's newest offering, has perfect chain line all the time and would clear a plus tyre if the bike I have it on would fit them. Although they do seem to have fallen out of favour with the bikepacking glitterati who get review the latest 1x groupos and ride them for a while before they wear out.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Hamish wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:48 pm
Well yes... I have one of those too. It still has a bigger range than SRAM's newest offering, has perfect chain line all the time and would clear a plus tyre if the bike I have it on would fit them. Although they do seem to have fallen out of favour with the bikepacking glitterati who get review the latest 1x groupos and ride them for a while before they wear out.
Amen brothers - Rohloff all the way :ugeek:

1x is simple is a phrase I read on here all the time.... then I read the constant supply of threads in which folk are having trouble getting their 1x set up working well, or with the right ratio etc.
If things keep on the way they are I can envisage bikes running no rear tyre or rim - just a massive cassette :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Hear! Hear!! (Igh & pinion)

Insanity over vanity
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

When I first tried 1x on the fatbike it was a revelation, no more mud catching front mech, no more mashed front changes, no more angst about whether to tackle a hill in the granny ring or middle ring, only one shifter to concentrate on (which suits my limited mental capacities) plenty of gears, just use a small front ring (26 or 28 max). Soon enough all of my front mechs and chainrings went over the back fence and I've never missed them. (Not true I have a large collection of front mechs, free to a good home)

Then the rear der and cassette went the same way and I've never looked back. Gears are over-rated and I think freewheels could be next..... :???:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:12 pm Hear! Hear!! (Igh & pinion)

I’d so much love a bike with Pinion 18.
If only I also had a time machine to go back 20 years and not buy a Rohloff - those damn things just don’t stop working :wink:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC