SORTED proposed mod to a cheap chinese bike light, advice please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

shutupthepunx

SORTED proposed mod to a cheap chinese bike light, advice please

Post by shutupthepunx »

EDIT: i found a solution

i am interested in doing some modifications to the fire hazard that is this.....

im sure at fair few of yous have come across them. when i bought it i got three things... light plus cable, battery plus cable, and usb cable to charge battery. so the fact that ive misplaced the usb cable doesnt help, but it will show up...

my idea was basically to sack off the battery and mangle the light cable, and the usb cable together so that they become one.

a cable with a bike light on one end and a male usb plug on the other. which can then be plugged into a power bank (which on longer trips i am carrying anyway, and charging by the dynamo hub). my thinking is that this system removes the need to carry around a lump of a battery which can only be used for this light.

i imagine the usb connecter end, as well as the connection i make, will both we weak points. in an arguably pretty weak setup anyway but i quite like the light ...cheaps. effective.

any ideas on advice on joining the cables? silly idea? whats this heat shrinking business that ive heard people talk about? cheers
Last edited by shutupthepunx on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shutupthepunx

Re: proposed mod to a cheap chinese bike light, advice please

Post by shutupthepunx »

so ive been thinking this up for weeks. and, uhhh, i stumpled across something and it turns out i can buy exactly what im after off ebay for £8.63 inc postage https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PIEAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

sorry folks. feel free to delete this topic.
AlexGold

Re: proposed mod to a cheap chinese bike light, advice please

Post by AlexGold »

I was reading the first post and about to reply "that's exactly what I carry as a backup light, and I bought it for no money off ebay"!

Good to see you found it. It's not the brightest but really doesn't draw huge amounts of power either (I ran it off a 10,000 mah Anker power pack and it went down less than 1/4 over a good 5 hours use so it's fairly efficient)
In Reverse

Re: SORTED proposed mod to a cheap chinese bike light, advice please

Post by In Reverse »

It looks massive! :shock: