Like a Brooks C15 but not a C15

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Like a Brooks C15 but not a C15

Post by sean_iow »

My Brooks C15 has failed at the nose, this is the second one that has done that. It lasted just over a year but I didn't buy it new so no guarantee to fall back on.

Is there another saddle which is the same/similar shape but hopefully more durable and/or cheaper? I get on with the shape, although maybe it won't be as comfortable if it's not the same type where the top is suspended from the frame?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Al

Re: Like a Brooks C15 but not a C15

Post by Al »

My dad swore by brooks saddles but now has these spa cycles saddles on most of his bikes:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s204p0/ ... es-Leather
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm My Brooks C15 has failed at the nose, this is the second one that has done that. It lasted just over a year but I didn't buy it new so no guarantee to fall back on.

Is there another saddle which is the same/similar shape but hopefully more durable and/or cheaper? I get on with the shape, although maybe it won't be as comfortable if it's not the same type where the top is suspended from the frame?
Is that the cotton or all weather version?
May satan walk with you
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's not an all weather so I guess it's the cotton version. Is the all weather more durable? It's not just the top layer that has failed, it's gone right through the rubber underneath as well. I think is starts where it's flexing over the nose piece and the cracks are always in this location.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:25 pm It's not an all weather so I guess it's the cotton version. Is the all weather more durable? It's not just the top layer that has failed, it's gone right through the rubber underneath as well. I think is starts where it's flexing over the nose piece and the cracks are always in this location.
I'm not sure. There have been quite a few failures, and I am wondering if the all weather nylon one is a bit more robust. I did read somewhere that Brooks saddles have a 10 year warranty, but I don't know if that is just for the leather ones.
May satan walk with you
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I assume that's the one you bought from me, it had about 5 miles on it, so practically new. If there's something we can do with the warranty let me know.
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

a charge spoon is almost exactly the same size as a c15

so much so that i switched spoon to c15 and didnt really notice
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

What about a leather Brooks. Mine, like countless others are still working after an age. I use Proofride regularly top side and bottom and have no issues. After a few days in the pissing wet they get a bit saggy but all is good in the world otherwise. I may just have a black Swift titanium that could be looking for a new home on account of not having a bike attached to it...
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:50 pm I assume that's the one you bought from me, it had about 5 miles on it, so practically new. If there's something we can do with the warranty let me know.
Thanks. I've messaged Brooks so I'll see if they respond.
dnrc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:53 pm a charge spoon is almost exactly the same size as a c15
I had a nearly new Spoon in the shed so that's what I've put back on for now. I used to have them on all my bikes but as the distance increased over 70 ish miles they weren't as comfortable, but thinking about it the Brooks has been quite uncomfortable on some big rides (150 miles+) so perhaps that's just the way it is if you ride all day and night.
lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:10 pm What about a leather Brooks. Mine, like countless others are still working after an age. I use Proofride regularly top side and bottom and have no issues. After a few days in the pissing wet they get a bit saggy but all is good in the world otherwise. I may just have a black Swift titanium that could be looking for a new home on account of not having a bike attached to it...
I've never thought about the leather ones, the do have a legendary reputation for comfort. I'll see what happens about the C15 and let you know.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I was a long time Spoon fan but also found that anything longer than 4-5 hours became very uncomfortable.

I then rode a few C15's and C17's and found the 15 to be perfect.

And then.....I wanted a leather Brooks saddle and so emailed asking which model was closest and got it for my birthday last year.

But unfortunately that's where my helpfulness ends as I can't remember what model it was and I haven't gotten around to fitting it yet as I was injured in January, in lockdown until recently and am now über busy :roll:

But I'll check and let you know the model asap :-bd
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Hello Sean

I have a c17 carved and mine is doing the same but I can live with it, I also have a b17 which is so much more comfortable for as far as I can ride, just keep on top of the proof hide and all is well.
I thought I read somewhere they have changed the design of the nose on the cambium saddles or maybe its urban myth.
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
JackT

Post by JackT »

All the cotton topped ones fail at the nose eventually - some sooner than others, depending I suppose on the weight of the rider and the type of riding. This may be why they've been discontinued and replaced by the nylon topped 'all weather' model.

The cotton topped ones were user serviceable (if you could get a replacement top - they weren't offered officially as a spare part, which is a shame as i'd have happily paid £20 or so every few years for a new one). The new all weather ones aren't user serviceable. Probably because some people were having problems with the bolts coming loose, so now I think they have rivets.

I've recently replaced a failed cotton topped C17 with the new all weather one but haven't done enough miles to find out whether it will suffer the same failure.
Mike

Post by Mike »

my c17 on the stooge has a mark across the nose but still hasnt broken yet, id say its got about 8000+miles in it so if it does fail iv had my moneys worth but i dont find it as comfortable now as when it was new. Iv a wtb on the salsa and i like that so i think ill go back to that kinda saddle once i need a new one.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:25 am my c17 on the stooge has a mark across the nose but still hasnt broken yet, id say its got about 8000+miles in it so if it does fail iv had my moneys worth
My C15 had the mark for some time before failure*. I've done between about 6000 and 7000 miles but that has only taken about 14 months. That means if you were riding round the world you'd have to take a spare saddle to make it round. I am about half a stone heavier than I normally am due to lock-down cake and ale consumption :lol: But at 11 St 4 lb I'm hardly an outlier on the user weight graph.

* For about a week or so it had started to creak as I peddled, this got louder as the days went on, so this might be a warning sign of imminent failure, so either carry a spare or stay close to home once the squeak level reaches the point where it's embarrassing to ride past people :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Al wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:56 pm My dad swore by brooks saddles but now has these spa cycles saddles on most of his bikes:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s204p0/ ... es-Leather
The Spa Cycles branded ones? (Not the Gilles Bethoud ones?) They look like good value if they come recommended.

The Aire seems to be the narrowest at 148mm. After measuring my sit bones, I calculated 135mm to be the right width for me, and using narrower saddles seems to have worked for me, but leather ones tend to be wider. Is that just the way it is and a "narrow" (~150) leather saddle will suit someone with narrow sit bones?
Al

Post by Al »

Yep. The spa ones.
He loves them and has bought 3, I can try and find out which one if it helps.

Edit: it was a b17 copy ‘nidd’
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheers. Would be interesting, but guess it's quite a personal decision. Looked at a few other reviews and the general consensus seems to be they're decent for the money, but the leather is thicker than on a Brooks and takes a while to break in.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have two c17s and both have the line on them. I have a C17 carved all weather which doesn't seem to be developing the line. But it isn't as comfy as the cotton versions. It could be the cutout that makes it less comfy, but I wonder if it's because it is more shiny and slippery as I tend to rode them a bit nose down.

I also find that some seat posts rub and cut little nicks in the flanks of the saddle if you run them set right back on the rails. I have been wondering g if a crack will propagate out from these on day. Is suspect the nose will go first though.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hamish wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:01 am I have two c17s and both have the line on them. I have a C17 carved all weather which doesn't seem to be developing the line.
Are the C17's with the line developing the style with the alloy nose/rear support? And is the all weather the sort with the new style composite nose/rear support? I wonder if they have changed the shape of the rear of the nose under the saddle top with the change to the new material, the lines seem to develop where the saddle flexes over the rear edge of the nose underneath and a softening of edge might prevent it.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Yes, the ones with the lines are with alloy supports and the all weather is plastic. I am hoping the all weather version has sorted the problem as I feel a bit committed to these bloody seats now and don't want to start another saddle quest!