Sleeping mat options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Sleeping mat options

Post by Rob S »

Hello everyone,
I used to use a thermarest prolite but as I got older it got more uncomfortable, then I bought a monster exped which is great but too heavy for the bike at 1800g! I've recently purchased a thermarest z lite and put the prolite on top, still not comfy though. Now I'm thinking a Numo https://alpkit.com/collections/sleeping ... ducts/numo on top of the z lite may work well. Guaranteed puncture proof, should be comfy and ok R rating at 750g.
Anybody else use an air bed on top of a closed cell mat? Any downsides?
Dean

Re: Sleeping mat options

Post by Dean »

Did you have the standard Prolite? Because if so it is not surprising that it was uncomfortable as it is pretty thin.

An air bed on a closed cell mattress is the way to go for exceptionally cold travel (think Antarctica, alpine bivvying), and the Z-lite is bulky for bike travel unless you run panniers so you might consider the Prolite Apex (2 inches thick) or a Trail Pro (3 inches thick), both are suitable for use on snow.

I personally have never got along with air beds as I need structure to my mattress, so I happily take a self inflating foam mattress and need to carry some extra weight.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I have the Numo and find it a little uncomfy, it maybe me but I just find myself moving around alot on it and its quite slim as well. Currently looking around myself at the moment. :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think the only downside to having two mats is bulk / weight. If you're happy with those, then there's no reason not to really. Personally, for 750g I'd like something thicker / wider / warmer but obvously that would also be more expensive by some margin.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My experience is that a deflated Prolight is warmer and more comfortable than a Numo.

I bought a Numo a few years back in an effort to save weight and bulk over my Prolight. It was on eBay shortly afterwards.

I’ve ended up with a second hand Exped Synmat 7 and am pleased with it. It’s comfy enough and warm for most of the trips I do, it’s not that warm past 1-2deg C but that’s not a practical problem for me.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I thought my numo was rubbish. Narrow and cold. Nothing wrong with its construction or quality but the concept of it is bobbins, for me.

Personally I'd spring for the "best" exped I could afford. I also couldn't be bothered to fanny about with two mats. If you can then fair play, as Stu said, it'll work.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Thanks everyone, I'll probably give the Numo a miss and do a bit more research.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With a little careful shopping you can usually pick up an Exped Synmat-lite for not much more than a Numo. A little heavier but insulated so should negate the need for a second mat.
May the bridges you burn light your way
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

I use a 6mm CCF full length mat coupled with a ¾ length 25mm self inflating mattress.
The CCF mat goes under the tent groundsheet giving some protection to the waterproof coating from rough ground. Combined weight is less than 500g.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I asked a similar question a while back. I'm very happy with the Exped DownMat Lite 5 M that I bought off eBay...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.