Best way to tubeless a fatty

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Best way to tubeless a fatty

Post by redefined_cycles »

Managed to acquire an OOF for the little one(thanks to Nige off here). Hoping to get it out myself a few times aswell if he'd allow..

Currently its running tubes inside it 4 inch wide tyres and wondering whats the strongest/lightest/cheapest (choose 2: I choose strong n light) way to tubeless these so I'm not seeping air every couple of weeks or whatever...

Thanks
JohnClimber

Re: Best way to tubeless a fatty

Post by JohnClimber »

If it's the On One rims and floater tyres you will have a hard job sealing those they are not designed to be tubless but sold at a lower price point.
You can try the fattest possible 24" BMX inner tube to go tubless, and use Duct tape to fill it to the edges, but it's very hit and miss.

Best off search through a fat bike FB UK based group page like https://www.facebook.com/groups/260838637377100

If nothing shows up on the search ask them their thoughts.
redefined_cycles

Thanks John...

Yeah, its the OnOne fat tyres thats on just now but I also have some Vee Rubber 8 that he kindly gave me with the bike. I wonder whether they'll be better at sealing etc. Will check that link you mentioned (although dont have FB so might be interesting navigationally)...

Thanks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Different rims, but I used wide insulating tape. 3 times around - once at each edge and once in the middle.

Cheapo tubeless valves.

IMPORTANT Super P Nuts. https://problemsolversbike.com/products ... t_tubeless

Without these, I couldn't get the valve to actually tighten on the rim enough.

Stans Sealant

I also used a reservoir-type/tubeless pump. It's the only time I've ever needed to use one, I normally manage with a track pump.

I did my normal thing of inflating them with a tube, leaving them overnight, breaking one bead, removing the tube, fitting the valve, re-seating the bead and them pumping them up.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, if you want sign up to fat-bike.co.uk there's a thread on there (that I started) about tubeless on fat bikes. Might also be worth looking through the fat bike sub-forum at MTBR - https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/.

Rims tend not to be much of a problem: seal the rim with tape or a split innertube/fatty stripper, put in the valve and you are good to go.

Tyres can vary, some, even tubeless ready, are trouble from the off, others are no problem at all.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Hmmm... Interesting. Hadn't thought bout the rims being single walled (had a problem with the higher pressures on road tubeless and made my own adaptation to manage the concentrated stress).

Sounds like my issue (Nige told me that they were a pain to seat tubeless and would lose pressure over the days/weeks if not used) mihht be related to the fact the rims are OnOnes as are the tyres.

I'm gonna take a guess that using a bit of drillium on the rims to drop some weight isn't gonna be a very smart idea!!...

Hmmm :smile:
redefined_cycles

*thanks Bob. Will bear that in mind bout the thread on that forum (went ahead just before you pisted and registering had put me off a little)...
Never thought I'd be considering and talking about fat bike fettling one day in my life :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Drilled rims aren't a problem. Make sure you have some sort of thicker rim strip in place before you apply whatever your tubeless tape is.

The Fatty Stripper gets over the problem of the rims being single wall should you choose to go that route.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did my On One rims using laminate floor underlay and gorilla tape. Bit of a faff but it worked okay. Tyres were Maxxis.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

This made me smile.. less than 1100$ you say. Very cheap

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I was working at Planet X/On One when the Fatty was originally launched. As it was half the price of any of the competition, it sold like hot cakes, we built literally hundreds. They were full component builds which involved assembling tyres and tubes which was a time consuming ball-ache and slowing down the mechanics productivity. The job of doing this was therefore given to the company's village idiot to do all day long using a fairly low tech compressor to bang the tyres onto the rim which involved inflating to about 50psi then deflating them. He was easily distracted and was chatting whilst standing with the air line filling a tyre. It must have reached about 100psi before blowing off the rim and him off his feet and about 10ft across the warehouse. The bang made the rest of us deaf for about 2 hours. I'd be very wary about trying tubeless, the standard rims are crap and they will need a lot of air to seat properly.
redefined_cycles

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xA7e2az8JT4

Then I should discount this straight out the window :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xA7e2az8JT4

That won't make any difference to the ability of the rim to run tubeless.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:52 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xA7e2az8JT4

That won't make any difference to the ability of the rim to run tubeless.
From a strength POV after what Duncan said. To be fair though, 100 psi is alot of pressure for a rim thats that wide and planned to be run at 10ish psi.

Will see about getting some kit together and thinking about giving it a try...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I did the same as Stu with my On-One Fatty rims and Floater tyres. Once I’d packed out the rims to take up the slop in the tyres they seated easily and are still holding air about three or more years later.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've done the underlay thing and also the ghetto split tube method on my OOF back in the day. Both worked and were reliable. The only problem with the split tube method is finding wide enough inner tubes with a Presta valve (and preferably removable core). From subsequent experience though I reckon you could bodge a Presta valve cut out of an old tube with a patch of tube left round it into a wide Schrader tube that you've pulled the valve out of and glue the Presta in to make your own liner. It saves worrying about rim tape coming unstuck if the sealant affects the adhesive (although it is a bit heavier than just taping the rim). With the underlay method I actually ended up with the tyre too tight and struggled to get the tyre out of the well of the rim and onto the beads. Lots of pressure and sealant acting as a lube allowed it to happen but it was a bit nerve wracking.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I did ghetto tubeless on my Calibre Dune, which I think had similar rims to the OOF. Decathlon camping map, duck tape, a couple of fat bike inner tubes and a whole truck load of OKO Offroad Sealant (not the best at sealing, but cheap), they went up fine with the compressor that came with my Fiesta. The tyres are still on the rims and still inflated, sitting in my shed, haven't had my fattie in over a year.

Having said all of that though. Get yourself a 15 psi pressure gauge, as I found myself adjusting the psi for pretty much every ride, depending on where I was going and what the underlying conditions were like. Everyone else will tell you they have a calibrated hand for testing their psi... 🙄
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

LOL. I'm one of those who has no idea of tyre pressures. I tend to just give it a squeeze to make sure it's not flat.

Having said that, I need to pay more attention now that I have suspension forks. Getting the balance between tyre squish/rebound and suspension travel is taking some practice and is very much dependent on route/terrain.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

K1100T wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:23 amas I found myself adjusting the psi for pretty much every ride, depending on where I was going and what the underlying conditions were like. Everyone else will tell you they have a calibrated hand for testing their psi... 🙄
Err, yeah!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not completely sure what pressure I was running at but it was the only way to maintain traction in the snow!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you are going ghetto style on a non-tubeless rim I found cheap motorcycle innertubes worked well - something off a Honda C90 or similar (i.e. 2.75 x 17) worked well on rolling daryls and buds. (neither of which were tubeless)

For seating stretch a road bike inner tube round the outside of the tyre - it squashes the tyre beads onto the rim for the initial inflation.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:39 pm

For seating stretch a road bike inner tube round the outside of the tyre - it squashes the tyre beads onto the rim for the initial inflation.
I've been told that using a tie down strap (roof rack type) round the tyre can help in the same way (i.e. round the circumference of the tyre). I've not tried it but was assured that it works by a fat bike expert in the know.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:48 pm

I've been told that using a tie down strap (roof rack type) round the tyre can help in the same way (i.e. round the circumference of the tyre). I've not tried it but was assured that it works by a fat bike expert in the know.
Yup it does too!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:31 pm
Jurassic wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Yup it does too!
I need to have another go at my latest fat bike wheels. I had Nextie carbon rims and they were so easy to set up tubless but I broke the rear and swapped to DT Swiss BR 710s. After a brief initial (failed) attempt with the new wheels I lost patience and just bunged some tubes in. I'm running an Edna front Nate rear combo and they were pretty baggy on the DT rims but were nice and tight on the Nexties.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've got DT's on the ICT and they can be a bit temperamental even with JJ's which normally go on dead easy but occasionally require a fair bit of faffing. I've got the effeto mariposa rim strips (which are good but dear) which have proven fairly idiot proof.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's DT Swiss rims and Jumbo Jims on my Cube.