Roadies playing music out loud

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Roadies playing music out loud

Post by ssnowman »

Came across this twice today. Roadies out on club rides with one of the bikes equipped with a speaker.

It seems a bit antisocial to me. But then I'm a grumpy old git!
May satan walk with you
sean_iow

Re: Roadies playing music out loud

Post by sean_iow »

Perhaps they're worried about bear attacks? :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

"one of the bikes equipped with a speaker" - was it the one at the back? Maybe it's a new Thing - the biking equivalent of a coxswain? "Hands on, you chaps", "Pedal On", "Easy Pedals", "Cafe Ahoy"....blah blah.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I come across this regular but its not music. It's Quran playing from a tiny speaker in my TT bag. Alqays get worried for attacks but not from bears. There was this one time (during Covid middle weeks) when I came out of some ST and some of the elderly chaps stood around each other in some posh looking area sounded bemused. I'm more careful now though and either play it quieter or ensure its turned down before i reach any elderly posh chaps mid covid that might be offended.

Not on the roadie though. That'd be absurd...

:smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not very 'aero' is it?

May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I just find any music outside a bit of an intursion if I wanted to listen to the exact music you are playing right now I would have brought my pwn copy of it and would be listening to it.
There is a guy locally with massive speakers and what looks like a car stereo strapped to hithe bike as well as battery - he does seem to enjoy pushing it up hills though one day I may see him riding it .
Not sure why roadies would bother with this on a group ride though
Spent many a long bus journey listening to the Quran
Last edited by Lazarus on Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Probably wannabe honda gold wing owners!
:lol:
Insanity over vanity
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:49 pm Probably wannabe honda gold wing owners!
:lol:
Is there anything more ridiculous?
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Personally I think its finding that balance (loud enough for you but not enough to disturb everyone around you) and I'm just thankful they've not all got headphones in instead. Now that's what you call idiotic :o (IMO)
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

ssnowman wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:28 pm

Is there anything more ridiculous?
Makes me laugh,Especially as they have a lid on too! (Gold wing owners)
Perhaps it's the look at me thing?

:roll:
Insanity over vanity
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Only time I witnessed this the chap was playing YMCA. Never realised anyone actually played that song on their own accord, always had it down as party classic :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I first come across folk playing music on rides when i was in colorado many yrs ago mtbing. I thought it was ridiculous then but iv since noticed a few mtbers here on trails doing it... must make the trails more rad. But yet to see it on roadies. Its this new way of life we are being sold by the government, things are changing :roll:
I guess at least we wont have to sit behind them shouting to come past because their earphones are to loud for them to hear you!!
chris n

Post by chris n »

I've done it while solo touring. It's great. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I’d be OK with it but it would defo depend on the music

Rich G had xmas music playing on a Chilterns winter bivy one year. Was a nice bit of xmas spirit
jameso

Post by jameso »

chris n wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 pm I've done it while solo touring. It's great. :-bd
Same here, some mornings about 5 days into a tour, phone sticking out of the bar bag. Often singing along to (some would say 'murdering') something I know all the words to from holiday car journeys when I was a kid, ie what I used to call 'old people's music' :grin: It's one of the best times on a trip. Alone on a nice road in Europe where no-one knows me, I'm bad karaoke Neil Diamond. Maybe because I wouldn't ever want to do it in public but it's something everyone should do now and then.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

There is nothing wrong with playing music at low volume ,we all enjoy it.
However, excessive volume is inappropriate except within a club, building or festival imo.
it can lift ones spirit during appalling weather or tiredness etc when riding,driving, walking etc.
just saying,there's a time and place for loud music! :cool:
Insanity over vanity
composite

Post by composite »

There are 2 different people who commute into Birmingham on the same route as me that I used to see a few times a month that have a speaker attached to their bikes. One normally plays music and the other radio. I'm always just a bit bemused by it honestly.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I guess it's just an extension of having music on in the car - lots of people do it (some to excess). I've never figured out why some people in cars drive with noise cancelling headphones - just cutting out one of your key senses for the world around you...

I've never quite understood why anyone would want to play speaker music rather than earplugs though
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I was in Seville earlier this year and I saw the same guy a few times riding along playing really loud music. I thought it was just a bit antisocial till I hired one of those electric scooters and instantly realised just how many pedestrians walk into your path on those busy mixed-use streets because they can’t hear you coming.

Maybe it’s a safety thing?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:37 pm Rich G had xmas music playing on a Chilterns winter bivy one year. Was a nice bit of xmas spirit
I've done it for special occasions, but I'd never make a habit of it, that's for sure!
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I’m sometime have TMS playing aloud
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

It's not just roadies, though, anybody foisting their taste in music onto others (especially in the peace and quiet of the countryside) is sure to upset somebody
Scud

Post by Scud »

I just have the voices in my head....

That and getting Yazz's "The only way is up" stuck on repeat in my head going Col de Finestre.. why is it always the poor show songs that get stuck in your head?
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Scud wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 pm I just have the voices in my head....

That and getting Yazz's "The only way is up" stuck on repeat in my head going Col de Finestre.. why is it always the poor show songs that get stuck in your head?
My head is a virtual jukebox. If I don't pick an artist or genre, I too end up with the same song going round and round and it's usually something crap.
May satan walk with you
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I've never quite understood why anyone would want to play speaker music rather than earplugs though
they have no consideration for others and have decided that in the countryside you should listen to their music