This accident should not have happened

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bigtalljohn

This accident should not have happened

Post by bigtalljohn »

hi
A little story about me over the last 2 weeks, I was on my bike going down a hill I've been down before went around the corner at the bottom and at 19mph hit a 15mm steel wire recently placed across the track.
I was in bright sunshine and the wire in dappled shade just wasn't visible, also the car caught my eye and I was looking for people or dogs but not steel cable.
The result was one cyclist on the floor having somehow had the cable come over my my bike taking my hands off the bars by the wrist and then hitting my legs. The medical people out there will tell you the femur is the strongest bone and somehow i didn't break both legs. In A&E I discovered I'm a very lucky guy with damage to my legs that will heal, two shoulders and a neck that will need daily exercise to get mobile, two wrist that are healing nicely and a broken finger. So I'm thinking thats lucky.
The police were called and a local bike shop put this picture up on their social media, and then loads of other people come forward and say I hit that and was hurt but didnt do anything about it, WHY NOT! The estate has now decided not to use wire and replaced it with a highly visible gate.

If something is dangerous report it to the police, lets not wait till somebody gets seriously injured or killed
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
chrisjones

Re: This accident should not have happened

Post by chrisjones »

:o

Jesus! Hope you have a speedy recovery, that sounds particularly nasty.

Is the track a right of way?

If it is I'd speak to a solicitor as that may well be in breach of health & safety.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:08 pm :o

Jesus! Hope you have a speedy recovery, that sounds particularly nasty.

Is the track a right of way?

If it is I'd speak to a solicitor as that may well be in breach of health & safety.
The police have spoken with the estate and yes the solicitors are on the case, in Scotland we have right to roam and the other side of the cable is a public road.
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Meh. Danny would have reverse-flipped it.

Really though - glad you're not totalled. Could have been really nasty.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:31 pm Meh. Danny would have reverse-flipped it.

Did think afterwards how low it was and wondered if a bunny hop was the better option than slapping the brakes on, but in a blind panic decisions about reverse flipping it like Danny don't always come to me😁😁😁😁
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Hope you heal well.

On the estate I work at (England) I’ve had to put a chain across a private track I use for our ATV. It comes off a bridleway and we’ve had horses and bikers ride it instead of following the bridlepath. I’ve tied some haz tape around it (and there’s a gate the other end) so it’s visible should anyone not follow the correct route (and open the gates)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

bigtalljohn wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:33 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:31 pm Meh. Danny would have reverse-flipped it.

Did think afterwards how low it was and wondered if a bunny hop was the better option than slapping the brakes on, but in a blind panic decisions about reverse flipping it like Danny don't always come to me😁😁😁😁
I tried jumping a big ditch that suddenly appeared on the way down from Wessenden Head. About 10 years ago it was. Can confirm it wasn't much less pleasant than what you described. I ended up on one side of the Moors track and the ridee behind me about 5 metres away IIRC.

Glad you're ok...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ridiculous that previous riders never flagged this up or the estate didn’t even put something on the wire to make it obvious.

Hope you mend soon :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

The estate has now decided not to use wire and replaced it with a highly visible gate.
Piss. Boiling.

We've had trail saboteurs round here for ever but at least they put the barbed wire at head height so it properly garrotes you and kills you clean dead. Looks to me like the estate managers round your manor prefer to put riders in wheelchairs. Can't think why but.

Arsehatfukkerbasterdshitbags
I'm just going outside ...