Which bike lock

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chrisjones

Which bike lock

Post by chrisjones »

I'm looking for suggestions for a light weight lock to take on trips.

What do folks use & would you recommend them?

I've seen the ottolock tape style ones, but have no idea if they're any good.
Lazarus

Re: Which bike lock

Post by Lazarus »

Personally if i need to lock the bike up i remove the chain using the quick link and use a tiny padlock through the links as a lock
it great for TLS, does gets your hands dirty and is a faff and they wont be riding off on it so you will probably catch them as well
there is no lock you can take that works as anything other than a visual deterent for a casual thief
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

I like that idea :grin:

I know a light weight lock isn't going to stop someone who really wants your bike, but I'd be interested tohear what folks use.

I do a lot of solo rides so I'm just thinking of something light weight which would allow me to pop into a shop etc.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There was a recent thread on this

I use an abus combination cable lock. Just prevents opportunistic theft and drunken dares
Gari

Post by Gari »

I’ve got a couple of hiplocks. You can put them through a wheel/seatstays or, my favourite, clamp a brake leaver shut( makes a good handbrake too if parked on a slope!)
Basically a big zip tie with a bit of a metal core. 2pin key to release.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have one of the combination Hiplok's, I've used it twice so far. I got it for when I need to pop into a shop for supplies while out on a ride. It's not going to stop anyone with any tools, but should hopefully stop anyone just picking my bike u and riding off, which is all I wanted. Got it off SportPursuit, although it was one of those ones that you order, then it arrives a couple of months later...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
matt_brk

Post by matt_brk »

Also got one of the Hiplok Z-Loks, not going to stop a determined thief with tools, but will stop an opportunist thief outside a shop/cafe. Lightweight and can be curled up into a jersey pocket.
jameso

Post by jameso »

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/ ... pe=bicycle
One of these, 75cm x 5mm cable ^
with an Abus 'Titalium' aluminium body padlock -

Probably as secure as you'll get for 100g. Loops onto itself around the SS, wrap around the SS-ST area, keep the key on a bit of cord either locked to the cable or around my wrist in the shops (tired me can lose things too easily!). I've got a tiny snowboard/luggage retractable cable lock for trips when the bike won't be out of sight, prefer the Kryptonite+Abus combo if I need to dive into a supermarket etc.

Hiplock Z-Locks do look good, will be getting one of those simply as it's easier to pack.
matt_brk

Post by matt_brk »

jameso wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:37 am I've got a tiny snowboard/luggage retractable cable lock for trips when the bike won't be out of sigh
I used a Dakine snowboard lock before too, nice and easy and can't lose the key. Though a bit bulky in a jersey pocket, swapped for the hiplok now as it's alot smaller/lighter.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Thanks folks.

Think I'll check out the hiploc.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've got a knog party Frank lock for this sort of use. Claims to be 250g online, I'm surprised it's that heavy. Bright orange so it's obvious the bike is locked too.