What compressor

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

What compressor

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Having set up 2 sets of tubeless wheels this week, I’d like to get a compressor. Any advice on what I should be looking for? I’ll probably just be using it to set bikes up tubeless, top up bike and car tyres. I’d like to spend as little as possible but still get a reliable piece of kit.

What volume and power compressor is suitable and what attachments should I be looking for? Do I need a regulator or is it safe to do it all on a gauge?

Cheers, Andy
Lazarus

Re: What compressor

Post by Lazarus »

I have a cheap 6 llitre one that came with some cheap tyre inflater tool with guage and rather thin pipe.

its really poor ,only fits shraedar ,the pipe bore is too small and , whilst it will inflate tyres I find it easier to just inflate the fire extinquisher i used before the compressor , using the compressor, as it gives the air faster and seems to work better [ and the compressor is burried behing bikes]. The compressor may work when i eventually replace the pipe and tools with good quality ones ine really is pound shop quality accesories.

the moral of this story is dont get a cheap inflater and pipe . i am not sure how big a tank you need but how quick it will come out - most bike specfic ones are only a few litres but i assume they dump in one go - is going to be more important.
i think ts 8 bar/120psi which is pretty standard
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd look at spending at least £100 on a direct drive compressor with a reasonable receiver size. Something like this would be ideal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SGS-24-Litre ... SwFjleUqHE

Certainly enough for tyres, a limited amount of spraying and even air tools as long as you don't want continual use. Having two outlets is a handy feature but just check the fittings as I think they're 'Euro' ... nothing wrong with that but remember your line will also need a euro fitting.

SGS seem to have a good reputation but they also appear out of stock at most places, so some shopping about might be required.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I bought this recently, and am very impressed with it , although the tools are a bit basic.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc24l-k ... tarter-kit
May satan walk with you
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Do you really need a compressor?

I bought a Bontrager Flash Charger a couple of years ago and its done me proud - Lezyne do a similar pump.

Honest the best money I've spent on bike bits for a good while - setting up tubless is an absolute breeze with it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/airmast ... r-compres/ :-bd
A bit big though so go with the 25l 2.5hp.....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

mikehowarth wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 am Do you really need a compressor?

I bought a Bontrager Flash Charger a couple of years ago and its done me proud - Lezyne do a similar pump.

Honest the best money I've spent on bike bits for a good while - setting up tubless is an absolute breeze with it.
I bought my flash charger when they first came out. Have used it for bike and van tyres. Appreciate the compressor has more uses but obviously isn't as portable.

The flashcharger is great for taking down the park and launching bottle rockets! :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh I see Phil's just upped the stakes with a v twin :wink:

Also, I'd avoid anything that's described as 'oil-less'.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a Joe Blow tubeless pump, I really wanted a compressor because it's a good "man tool" and would be handy for the odd job, but sadly I don't have enough room to store one
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks all, the SGS looks good to me, I'll try getting one or wait till they're back in stock.
I probably don't need a compressor, and I have an Airshot which is great for being so portable. However, I tend to help friends out replacing tyres and setting them up tubeless so a compressor would just make it all a bit easier.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:50 pm Thanks all, the SGS looks good to me, I'll try getting one or wait till they're back in stock.
I probably don't need a compressor, and I have an Airshot which is great for being so portable. However, I tend to help friends out replacing tyres and setting them up tubeless so a compressor would just make it all a bit easier.
They are one of those tools that, once you have one, will come in handy for lots of stuff. Cleaning things is a good one i.e blasting things with compressed air. Its also worth getting a burp gun for it as tight (large) bolts and nuts will never be a problem again (for example sprocket lock rings, square taper BB's that have been in the frame for 15 years, siezed pedal bolts all having relented to mine over the years). Before my current V twin monster I had a cheapo wolf air 1.5hp 'oil free' compressor which cost me £50 new. It was a bit rubbish but lasted 15 years.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They are one of those tools that, once you have one, will come in handy for lots of stuff.
That is true. I can't remember never having one but I also can't imagine never having one.