Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

UnderTheRadars

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bikepacking romper suit anyone?
I'd 'ave me some of them if they weren't 220 euro ... wonders off to cut legs and arms from overalls.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cycle clotthing prices are just nuts

A pair of leggings from the market and change from a tenner
Call them cycling longs and charge up to £200 for them or more if you add a r@pha label or other premium brand.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:39 am
Bikepacking romper suit anyone?
I'd 'ave me some of them if they weren't 220 euro ... wonders off to cut legs and arms from overalls.
I could probably get you one for 111.70 quid. Happy to send it to you free of charge. But then I guess you can get overalls for 5 quid somewhere...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A full set of ovvies would have been of great help to me last weekend as I suspect they would probably be mosquito proof!
faustus

Post by faustus »

I think the Fairlight Holt hardtail full details are to be released today. Looks like a lovely bike, but would expect it to be £1k frame only at least...
Boab

Post by Boab »

The Fairlight Holt, all deets in the look book - https://fairlightcycles.com/wp-content/ ... okbook.pdf

It's quite a lot cheaperer than the Mason...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I do like their rear drop out detailing. Not available for SS though which their gravel bike frame is. Probs just as well as I'd end up buying one....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Interesting that they have gone for the (relatively) new T47 "standard" BB shell, not seen too many frames go that route. Fairly expensive but not eye wateringly so for the frame £1000 vs £720 for something like the Cotic Solaris.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I never really appreciate how one hardtail frame looks very much different from most others.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

'Tis all in the positioning of ABCD tho innit?
That and the colour.
It would be nice if manus did vary geo a bit more, it seems like that as soon as someone makes a tweak (losing a degree or two off the head angle say), everyone progressively follows suit. Things with shorter TT's high head tubes etc. seem to be the preserve of custom builders (or Jeff Jones) and yet plenty of people want something a bit more upright and more suited to picking your way through stuff rather than flying over the top of it.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:10 pm I do like their rear drop out detailing. Not available for SS though which their gravel bike frame is. Probs just as well as I'd end up buying one....
The T47 bottom bracket means that you can fit an EBB. The gear hanger is removable and isn't tied into the axle placement so it can be removed really neatly. I think a PF30/T47 EBB is the best singlespeed solution anyway. No issue with brakemounts also having to move. Fitting and adjusting mudguards/racks is much easier too.

Thumbs up from me. I like.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

stevenshand wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:21 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:10 pm I do like their rear drop out detailing. Not available for SS though which their gravel bike frame is. Probs just as well as I'd end up buying one....
The T47 bottom bracket means that you can fit an EBB. The gear hanger is removable and isn't tied into the axle placement so it can be removed really neatly. I think a PF30/T47 EBB is the best singlespeed solution anyway. No issue with brakemounts also having to move. Fitting and adjusting mudguards/racks is much easier too.

Thumbs up from me. I like.
I guess those EBB's that Shand supply wouldn't be affected by the threaded BB shell then?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Apparently Dom (Fairlight) has said the Holt is supposed to be a light, fast, and compliant XC bike. A 30.9 or 31.6mm seat tube would be unnecessarily stiff and heavy. Especially with a long dropper, hence 27.2. Furthermore the trick with the offset seat tube on the t47 bottom bracket shell is to keep the chainstays short without bending the seat tube.

I like the theory, and it seems like A Good Thing that bike designers are considering and making these choices. Still can't quite shake the feeling the seat tube closes off a number of options though.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:31 pm I guess those EBB's that Shand supply wouldn't be affected by the threaded BB shell then?
No issues, they're designed to work with a threaded T47 or a PF30. The minor diameter of a PF47 is the same (or close enough to be irrelevant) to the internal diameter of a PF30.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

https://absoluteblack.cc/shop/shop/ospw ... cjJ4RrEU0Y

Advantages? Well, they say

"*It is super silent (over 12dB noise reduction vs stock). (12dB? Can the human ear even detect that?)
*The shifting is as good as with the original Dura Ace cage. (for £450, I'd want it to be sh1t loads better)
*It’s more aero than the OEM cage and other oversized cages. (way and indeed hay)
*It saves more watts than other cages. (How much though, enough to flatten hills?)
*One of the lightest oversized cages on the market. (yeah but it sounds like it isn't THE lightest?)
*First mono plate construction of its kind."

Me, I'm thinking it'll simply prevent you from having money to squander on coffee and cakes?

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I might be tempted if it had an "Inbuilt laser cuts through rocks, rather than the cage pinging into your spokes and making a very expensive mess of mech and wheel" feature.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

12dB difference could very well be detectable but would depend on the absolute value. A difference of 10dB is a doubling (or halving) of how we perceive the sound. For example 70dB is the level of a dishwasher/washing machine and 60dB is the level of a normal conversation.

The rest is just marketing BS.

Looks cool though :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

12dB difference could very well be detectable but would depend on the absolute value. A difference of 10dB is a doubling (or halving) of how we perceive the sound. For example 70dB is the level of a dishwasher/washing machine and 60dB is the level of a normal conversation.
So over the traffic noise, bird song or even your own breathing ... you're perhaps unlikely to notice?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

As they mention Dura Ace then I assume it's for road bikes? They'll sell loads, there's no logic to a roadies choices. For example, on the Giro the other day a rider emptied out 2 wrappers from his jersey in the litter zone at the start of a climb to save weight.... but with his open jersey you could see he was wearing a thick gold chain which probably weighed more than the bars the wrappers came from :???:

I see the bottom pulley is also thick/thin, nice touch.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:28 am As they mention Dura Ace then I assume it's for road bikes? They'll sell loads, there's no logic to a roadies choices. For example, on the Giro the other day a rider emptied out 2 wrappers from his jersey in the litter zone at the start of a climb to save weight.... but with his open jersey you could see he was wearing a thick gold chain which probably weighed more than the bars the wrappers came from :???:

I see the bottom pulley is also thick/thin, nice touch.
bottom pulley, all weighadvantages canceled out by the extra 4 chain links needed to go round half the bottom pulley.
a
Also what are the 'pips' on the side of the top pulley?
is it on the pulley or a carrier?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not sure about the pips/lugs on the top jockey but the dimples on the cage remind me of the dimples on golf balls and various aero skins as they improve air flow presumably the reasoning behind the "Watts saved".

Sound levels? I doubt you'd hear the difference above road noise of your own wheels!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

sean_iow wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:28 amThey'll sell loads, there's no logic to a roadies choices.
This. My mate Mad Johnnie refused to put caps on his tube valves to save weight. I kid ye not.
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

£430 for a mech cage??
A fool and his money are soon parted.
My roadbikes mech cage is infinitely lighter than that one and was free :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

TheBrownDog wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:32 pm
sean_iow wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:28 amThey'll sell loads, there's no logic to a roadies choices.
This. My mate Mad Johnnie refused to put caps on his tube valves to save weight. I kid ye not.
The first thing I was told when I bought my first road bike umpteen years ago now was to ditch the reflectors, dork disk and valve caps. Not for weight but for aesthetics.