New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Saw those a few weeks ago but just can't justify that kind of money on a pair of socks. I do like 'em though which is probably a first for me and this thread :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Teaser pics from Fairlight on their new HT frame. Looks lovely.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:33 pm Saw those a few weeks ago but just can't justify that kind of money on a pair of socks. I do like 'em though which is probably a first for me and this thread :wink:
you only live once. it's only beer money🍺🤣
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
samwise

Post by samwise »

A couple of new synthetic sleeping bags from Alpkit. Ultra 80 & 120

https://alpkit.com/products/ultra-120-u ... eeping-bag
samwise

Post by samwise »

FLV

Post by FLV »

samwise wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am https://quoc.cc/collections/chelsea :???:
Ohhh. Super....

But I'm going to wait a little longer...

With a bit more development work, the team can progress the design, likely by adding small holes running parallel down the front, either side of a slot....
They can then add some string and allow 'cinching' of the boot around the riders foot....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

samwise wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am https://quoc.cc/collections/chelsea :???:
Saw them on Bikepacking....hmmm.....
If they brought out Dm's with cleats I'd buy a pair :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Boab wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:20 pm Mason RAW steel hardtail.
A review of the Mason RAW; anyone need a kidney...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Refreshing to see muddy, ridden bikes in a review.

Nice HT, but I have several already :)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

£4k isn't that much compared to what you can pay for a bike. That said, the word 'Cotic' springs to mind...
I love those reviews, they have to say it can't handle downhills like a bouncer as they'll be testing an FS bike later and need to be able to justify it. I suspect a bike like that would be an absolute blast on a steep and rocky descent and only a stopwatch would indicate any disadvantage to a suspension bike....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Never quite understood bikes getting 5 star reviews and then getting marked down by quite a bit on the value of the bike. Maybe I’m too black n white in my thinking but surely if a bike performs well, then it’s worth it
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:51 pm Never quite understood bikes getting 5 star reviews and then getting marked down by quite a bit on the value of the bike. Maybe I’m too black n white in my thinking but surely if a bike performs well, then it’s worth it
But if another bike performs equally well (or even better) and is half the price then isn't that better value? (everything else being equal)
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'm certainly out of touch, but I did chuckle when they said about it getting out of shape when pushed hard downhill, but it wasn't built for that...but it still has a 66 degree head angle...is that xc now? I dunno, I probably don't care anymore either :|
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:05 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:51 pm Never quite understood bikes getting 5 star reviews and then getting marked down by quite a bit on the value of the bike. Maybe I’m too black n white in my thinking but surely if a bike performs well, then it’s worth it
But if another bike performs equally well (or even better) and is half the price then isn't that better value? (everything else being equal)
Well, when you put it like that…. :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

faustus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:06 pm I'm certainly out of touch, but I did chuckle when they said about it getting out of shape when pushed hard downhill, but it wasn't built for that...but it still has a 66 degree head angle...is that xc now? I dunno, I probably don't care anymore either :|
I suppose 'pushed hard' is just relative to what your know of other bikes' ability on the same trail.

I'm just pleased to see sensible geometry XC bikes coming back around. The current take on LLS geo does little for me on a hardtail(tho I have to say I've not spent enough time on one to really get used to it or understand how it fits between a susser and what I see as a more agile, zippy but still capable kind of HT). The idea of a decent fork and not-too-steep front end on a light, quick XC bike was always a good one. My V1 Chameleon with Bomber Z1s, big tyres and rims, 1x and Azonic bars was still the most fun all-round bike I've ever owned. Currently I really want a compact Al XC 29er with a 65-66 HTA and a 100mm dual crown Lefty. Same kind of format 20+ years later.
FLV

Post by FLV »

jameso wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:40 am Currently I really want a compact Al XC 29er with a 65-66 HTA and a 100mm dual crown Lefty. Same kind of format 20+ years later.
That's almost a Niner Air 9
jameso

Post by jameso »

FLV wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:28 am
jameso wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:40 am Currently I really want a compact Al XC 29er with a 65-66 HTA and a 100mm dual crown Lefty. Same kind of format 20+ years later.
That's almost a Niner Air 9
Yeah, sort of. I'm thinking more 'reverse mullet' than that though. XCO flat our racer mentality kind of business at the back, lairy handling let it all loose up front. The Genesis Core bikes were sort of that way inclined, light, quick frames with 120mm thru axle tapered Rebas thats were a custom part # for us from Rockshox at first. But, 12 years ago and the geometry was still quite agile/XC. I think there's more to be done there now. 'down country' haha :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Isn’t down country just trail bikes from 5-6 years ago before they added 20-30mm to the travel?
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:47 pm Isn’t down country just trail bikes from 5-6 years ago before they added 20-30mm to the travel?
I thought it was "the lengths MTB Bros will go to to avoid saying they ride cross-country" :)
See also 'Trail Riding'
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Down Country' - is that an actual term people use then? :lol:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Aren’t we at ‘overland’ for anything XC/gravel(ish)
Boab

Post by Boab »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:19 pm Aren’t we at ‘overland’ for anything XC/gravel(ish)
Isn't all cycling over land...? Either way, that Mason is now my laptop background.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

XC will never die ✊🏻

Down Country has been said to be traced back to a joke comment on pinkbike, someone ribbing the way everything gets recategorised and named. Now bike brands are using it to describe their new models.