New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:57 am My opinion matters not but looking at the pictures (and I appreciate that they're only pictures), the bars look very low compared to the saddle and the brake levers only much use if braking from the hoods. Neither of those things are what I'd want when riding drops off-road. Perhaps it just makes it appear less odd and more appealing for pictures?
Plus a dropper post limits the seat pack options.
I've never understood the need for a dropper post on a gravel bike packing bike.
One niche to far for me
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Many folk have only one bike or use a bike for many roles.

I'm not in the market but I can see that this new Cotic might cover a few riding options. There are certainly tracks I've ridden on my Amazon where a dropper might have been a good idea and if this is capable of more lairy stuff then it's a natural option.
psling

Post by psling »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:58 pm
I've never understood the need for a dropper post on a gravel bike packing bike.
I occasionally use mine when the miles pile up and I can't swing my leg over any more; dropping the post is the only way I can get on or off the bike without falling over.... :lol: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I think it looks really good and I really like all the colours, and the built in seat tube bolt - wish more bikes had them! I like its promise of versatility and off road capability. The geometry is very close to a previous Unit drop bar build that I had, which made me realise monster cross was not for me. I can see that it depends what your main mtb is and local terrain, or what capability gap is between your mtb and road/grave bike, as to whether it suits. Mine's a rigid Unit which isn't a huge amount different in geometry, but has a flat bar and it's staying that way.

I like what they've done and I hope it does well, but it's too mtb to be a drop bar bike for me, I don't enjoy tyres that chunky with drops, and on the fliside it's too much chunk for road sections - 2.4 isn't the goldilocks size for road/off road mix for me at least (closer to 2 inch/50mm). Sticking with drops and thus Advent X on bronze level builds means cable discs only unless you get new shifters - which means whole new transmission. I know it's down to availability, so totally understandable.
faustus

Post by faustus »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm Bizarre promo video
Yeah, it was a bit like a car advert; lots of lifestyle aspiration and not a huge amount of bike. But they've done a sterling marketing job and the video probably ticks all the customer segmentation boxes so fair enough. :geek:
psling

Post by psling »

faustus wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:24 pm The geometry is very close to a previous Unit drop bar build that I had...
I have the uLTD which I absolutely love riding; I'll have to check geometries but it looks very similar to the Cascade. Running 29/2.3 at the moment. EDIT: a major difference appears to be headtube length which addresses Stu's point earlier.

We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
faustus

Post by faustus »

psling wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:33 pm
faustus wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:24 pm The geometry is very close to a previous Unit drop bar build that I had...
I have the uLTD which I absolutely love riding; I'll have to check geometries but it looks very similar to the Cascade. Running 29/2.3 at the moment. EDIT: a major difference appears to be headtube length which addresses Stu's point earlier.
Yeah agree on the headtube length completely, my camino has a decent headtube length in XL, which is one of the factors for choosing it. The ULTD looks a great bike, and slightly less all-out mtb with drops - i think it's shorter in the TT than a cascade and not as steep a seat tube...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Head tube looks short and therefore difficult to run "high" drop bars which is what you want for a drop bar MTB, IMO (and others, though it may not be a universal truth :cool:).

Price seems steep though 853 might justify and guess it makes the new Gryphon look "poor" value.

I've got a Roadrat running an Alfine, I've never loved it though it's been interesting. The forks are chuffin' awful so I hope the rigids on this are better (I'm sure they will be).

Not a fan of that "article" on STW or the writing style.

Mleh, I'm obviously a bit grumpy today.

And to pick a fight with John, I'd quite like a dropper on my Gryphon :wink:
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I really like the look of this bike but read the above concerns about ETT and now am not so sure.

It’s now on bikeinsights and comparing a small cascade vs a medium Fargo the reach is 20mm longer and stack 39mm lower. Given it’s a similar concept I’m not sure how it’s going to work on long rocky rides.

It seems like the most similar frame with the same idea behind it is the Genesis Vagabond which is close in stack but 13mm less reach. So I think you’d want a very very short stem.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's all armchair navel gazing. Best get a ride :cool:

I know from the Gryphon that even though it's got a long HT I still have a few inches of spacer. That's probably just me a bit (very much an MTBer, not even the vaguest of roadie HDAU) but if you want something that is an MTB with drop bars then you really do need them quite high, often higher than many would imagine.

YMMV

Be interesting to see what ride reviews say though they might have to be run thru' a fan-boy filter :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Saw this and thought it might have some appeal here...
Saddle with polybushes: https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/b ... ers-review
Seems like a nice simple idea. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me it was tried in the 90s and failed miserably...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That saddle might be an interesting option for indoor trainers too
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, nowt new Dave (although this is much neater) ... my mum's Raleigh 20 that she rode to work 45 years ago had saddle rails that were attached to the base via 'rubber' bushes. I recall they were much like skateboard truck bushings. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

The shock absorbers look identical to the Morgaw saddle I bought years ago. Didn't get on with the shape so it's stuck in the garage somewhere.

<Edit> yeah, looks the same https://road.cc/content/review/186770-morgaw-trian
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

See, I told you :wink:

I guess a big limitation of this is that you're limited to this particular saddle in terms of the saddle itself, while I'm sure all of us have our own personal preferences for that.
I can't see an obvious way of implementing this suspension with your own choice of saddle.
Suspension seatposts are the obvious answer to that, but a separate topic.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Looks like the new Surly frame is soon to land. Ghyllside Cycles just posted a teaser window display with the bike under wraps and there’s a guy with one unboxed in Europe somewhere.

Looks like a less upright Fargo. V keen to see the numbers on it as my wrists stop me using flat bars these days and my Ritchey maxes out at 650b x 2”.
Boab

Post by Boab »

£800 mudguards anyone...?

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:27 pm Looks like the new Surly frame is soon to land. Ghyllside Cycles just posted a teaser window display with the bike under wraps and there’s a guy with one unboxed in Europe somewhere.

Looks like a less upright Fargo. V keen to see the numbers on it as my wrists stop me using flat bars these days and my Ritchey maxes out at 650b x 2”.
Is this the mythical Ghost Grappler?
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Yup
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 pm £800 mudguards anyone...?

Saw them the other day.... I like the way the stays are just the right length and fairly rigid instead of bits of wire clamped up with sharp bits to catch your shins but not enough to lay out £800. I'm also not convinced that thin Ti sheet will last very long on something that will be vibrating and wobbling about a fair bit. SKS for me :grin:
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

It appears to be out… https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ghost_grappler
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Hamish wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:03 pm
It appears to be out… https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ghost_grappler
Il Like the colour and the front rack in the pics looks interesting.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 pm Hmmmmm not convinced by this

https://www.a-bikeshop.com/bike/surly-m ... ppler-mtb/
In what regard?