New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:42 am Not sure they'll be up to much walking and at £160 :shock:

If there was more rubber on the bottom, you' d all Diss they as Wa--y T-o-o He-eavy!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Saw them and thought what a good upper, but what a crap sole. Looks like for minimal walking only, hence the gravel bike moniker. If they had a typical vibram type cycling shoe sole they would be pretty good.
At least they have laces instead of those stupid boa dials.....
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm Looks like for minimal walking only, hence the gravel bike moniker.
Oh the irony, as on a gravel bike off road you have to walk most of the time :wink:
htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm If they had a typical vibram type cycling shoe sole they would be pretty good.
Scott make some nice shoes including lace up with decent soles, Crus-R, and good value

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/prod ... 8322006400

I've got the Cirus-R (boa) and I'm really pleased with them.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:51 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm Looks like for minimal walking only, hence the gravel bike moniker.
Oh the irony, as on a gravel bike off road you have to walk most of the time :wink:
htrider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm If they had a typical vibram type cycling shoe sole they would be pretty good.
Scott make some nice shoes including lace up with decent soles, Crus-R, and good value

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/prod ... 8322006400

I've got the Cirus-R (boa) and I'm really pleased with them.
Way ahead of you :grin: - I'm on the Crus_R' lace. At first I thought they would be crap as they look a bit cheap (they were only £55 mind) but they have been pretty good, even dealing with excessive YD300 hike a bike without any foot issues.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

The inverse surly corner bar. a flat bar for your drop bar bike:
https://www.curvecycling.com.au/collect ... mlaw-bar-1
I'm not wholly convinced by this product. The Surly bar meant you could convert to drops but still use the existing brakes and shifters. These have 22.2mm grip areas, which means you'll need to change your shifters and brakes. Seems to me that changing all the gears and brakes is the biggest faff when it comes to converting between drops and flats and these bars don't seem to address that.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

warlaw and Walmer are a naming paradox.
Edit bike packing review if not ready mentioned
https://bikepacking.com/gear/curve-remlaw-bar-review/
Logan Watts share his opinion
Boab

Post by Boab »

So Canyon have taken the Lux and the Neuron and smooshed them together. The new Lux Trail, quite possibly n + 1.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Am I right in saying that relies on the chainstays bending, given there is no pivot above the drop out?
psling

Post by psling »

I've got my eye on the new Scott Spark range due out next year

Yes, the rear shock is enclosed within the frame :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:20 am Am I right in saying that relies on the chainstays bending, given there is no pivot above the drop out?
So the same as my 2012 Salsa Spearfish then :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
psling

Post by psling »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:20 am Am I right in saying that relies on the chainstays bending, given there is no pivot above the drop out?
Going from memory now but I believe the link at the drop out is called a Horst Link and is patented meaning a licence fee payable to copy / use. The link at the seat tube should factor out any undue flex in the stays.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Not sure it needs one, as the two other pivot points and the short travel mean you can get away without it. :shrug:
psling wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:22 am I've got my eye on the new Scott Spark range due out next year

Yes, the rear shock is enclosed within the frame :cool:
I looked into that one when they announced it the other week. Having the rear shock hidden away is a nice feature, if a bit spendy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Same as my Occam
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the drop out is called a Horst Link
I think its called a split pivot [ spearfish certainly is as I own one]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_s ... plit_pivot
Horst link is just underneath it

The horst link is a four bar of which there are alot of variations - my turner is a DW link for example.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm - I guess the movement will be minimal and as the swing arm is placcy I 'spose it will flex plenty :???:
Horst links were an actual pivot on the chainstay, first used on the Amp (flex tastic). I believe it was widely copied and Horst got the huff. It was highly susceptible to sideways wear so it soon fell out of favour for one on the 'seat stay' so its just part of the shock activation linkage, as the swingarm then takes all the lateral load. Salsa uses a ball race so any flex in the swingarm doesn't immediately wear a bush (which would be lighter and stiffer). MY SC heckler (which was single pivot) used eat rear shock bushes because of flex in the swingarm. The patriot and 5 didn't as the swing arms were monster stiff.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

There is a pivot just behind the top chain ring... a little obscured..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 pm Hmm - I guess the movement will be minimal and as the swing arm is placcy I 'spose it will flex plenty :???:
Yep - the alloy version of the Occam has a pivot at the seatstay/chainstay join. The carbon one doesn't,
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Hamish wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:43 pm Bamboo ‘bars…

Interesting.

https://www.passchier.co.nz/

https://youtu.be/_W1BC9F7194
$350 NZ, that about £180.
They'd have to be nice,
At least they won't snap like carbon. :roll:
jameso

Post by jameso »

psling wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:03 am
Going from memory now but I believe the link at the drop out is called a Horst Link and is patented meaning a licence fee payable to copy / use. The link at the seat tube should factor out any undue flex in the stays.
:ugeek: - Horst link chainstay pivot patent has expired now. The axle / concentric pivot 'split pivot' itself is also expired (was patented in 1890s!) but both Trek and Dave Weagle managed to wrap it up with other suspension claims and get separate patents on it in the US at least. Not sure it was granted in EU where they require more originality, or what went on between Trek and DW who both use it in the US. Suspension engineering - first start with the lawyers, then go to the engineers. When a brand says they have this system because of blah it always needs considering with what was actually available to them in the first place. Split Pivot is a great system though, a lot of benefits I think.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

that Canyon above looks unbelievably similar to my bouncer, an Orbea Oiz TR. Basically a beefed up XC bike. 120mm travel, not massively slack, space for two bottles, remote lockout suspension, flex carbon chainstays

Really loving it for the majority of riding I'm doing
Boab

Post by Boab »

On-the-fly tyre pressure adjustment, yours to pre-order for €2.219,00. More on CyclingTips...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On-the-fly tyre pressure adjustment, yours to pre-order for €2.219,00. More on CyclingTips...
Just - why?*

* no need for any suggestions - you'll not convince me and trying would just be a waste of all our time :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

K1100T wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:15 am On-the-fly tyre pressure adjustment
Isn't that know also as a puncture?
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:54 am
Just - why?*

* no need for any suggestions - you'll not convince me and trying would just be a waste of all our time :wink:
10 years ago maybe I could have seen the benefit as back then like many I was convinced that higher pressures meant much faster rolling.
But now I will happily ride a gravel bike on road for miles at 30psi and it doesn't feel slow.

I can only think that is the benefit many might see but the reality is there won't be a performance advantage to warrant the extra weight and faff.