New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

Thinking about it, pedal strikes only happens to Jones owners....
As you were
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:03 pm
. The shoe will retail for £110
For an indoor shoe..... nuts
spintastic!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It’ll go nicely with the £2375 r@pha coffee machine!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Can I just point out that "indoor" shoes are nothing new?* For instance, Shimano have the IC100.

* slippers.....
FLV

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:17 pm Can I just point out that "indoor" shoes are nothing new?* For instance, Shimano have the IC100.

* slippers.....
You're not wrong. Someone at work mainly cycles indoor year round. Has 3 turbos and 3 screens all connected to 3 Apple wotsits (his wife and kid do it too). He has told me before all his kit he uses indoor is specific for that use.
He doesn't like going outdoors as there are too many factors that effect the data so he just wouldn't know how his performance was.
He's been at it for years

Madness in my eyes
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I see Strava adverts that only feature indoor 'cycling' with the tag line 'never stop cycling', yet for me, the act largely ceases to be cycling once it's brought inside and it's reduced to simply another form of exercise. Each to their own and all that but a bike is first and foremost a mode of transport and once it becomes static ....
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was thinking the same Stu, is it cycling if you don't go anywhere? And you're not actually riding the bike.

If it's indoors it's just pedalling? Unless it's on one of those giant whole-floor treadmills where you just ride a normal bike.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:08 pm I was thinking the same Stu, is it cycling if you don't go anywhere? And you're not actually riding the bike.

If it's indoors it's just pedalling? Unless it's on one of those giant whole-floor treadmills where you just ride a normal bike.
let's all take it up as a new indoor sport but on unicycles*. unispinning.. which i i mistyped an autocorrect suggested uninspiring.. apt.

* it has a smaller foot print and I'm sure is more exciting.. w-w-wobble...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

FLV wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:29 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:17 pm Can I just point out that "indoor" shoes are nothing new?* For instance, Shimano have the IC100.

* slippers.....
You're not wrong. Someone at work mainly cycles indoor year round. Has 3 turbos and 3 screens all connected to 3 Apple wotsits (his wife and kid do it too). He has told me before all his kit he uses indoor is specific for that use.
He doesn't like going outdoors as there are too many factors that effect the data so he just wouldn't know how his performance was.

Madness in my eyes

Holy cr@p. Reducing the act to nothing more than numbers and statistics. I would rather go into work for some exercise, at least your mind is stimulated.
Years ago I asked for a trainer for my birthday, I had visions of supreme fitness etc. After 30 minutes I threw it into the back of the garage and it's been there ever since.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:01 pm I see Strava adverts that only feature indoor 'cycling' with the tag line 'never stop cycling', yet for me, the act largely ceases to be cycling once it's brought inside and it's reduced to simply another form of exercise. Each to their own and all that but a bike is first and foremost a mode of transport and once it becomes static ....
This.

I have a smart trainer, a zwift subscription and am in the middle of converting our dining room into a gym (pain cave...). However, I don't really see it as cycling, it's just a form of exercise that uses much the same muscles. Of course, that means that it benefits my cycling too. Anyone who has done any weights work to help with climbing will be in much the same boat.

As regards indoor-specific clothing, I can see the attraction as the demands on it aren't quite the same.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Mleh

If they're having fun and staving off early death and obesity I'll leave them to it and not worry about the oddity they've created, even though it is really odd :wink:

Similar happens with climbing walls / gyms. In my day :roll: they were just where you went when the nights were too dark or the weather too awful to go *proper* climbing outdoors. Now they're a whole thing in themselves.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

As a recovering triathlete who used to watch entire F1 races while on the TT bike on a turbo before going for long, long runs.... it has its moments, but it's not real cycling, it's a poor substitute, but better than not cycling.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:37 pm As a recovering triathlete who used to watch entire F1 races while on the TT bike on a turbo before going for long, long runs.... it has its moments, but it's not real cycling, it's a poor substitute, but better than not cycling.
As if a long session on the Turbo wasn't bad enough...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:58 pm Mleh

If they're having fun and staving off early death and obesity I'll leave them to it and not worry about the oddity they've created, even though it is really odd :wink:

Similar happens with climbing walls / gyms. In my day :roll: they were just where you went when the nights were too dark or the weather too awful to go *proper* climbing outdoors. Now they're a whole thing in themselves.
Same here. A bit more bleurgh though. Only thing indoors, next to 'bed sports' is stretching, using the roll etc. just the usual 'maintenance'

But then with climbing (on a high level) it's really, really difficult to train outdoors (even in complete disregard of the risks involved). I once got to a point where the weekends wouldn't be enough to improve in mixed climbing and built a boulder room with a mate for dry tooling.
There was hardly a vertical place and we'd be hanging in figures of four and nine all the time.
We had an old record player and beastie boys lp from '86 constanty running. Was good fun and good training.

I don't see how cycling can be made fun on so little room, no matter how good and fun the trainings software has become, for some that's just not enough (since it's the basic and boring same movement all the time), no matter how shiny the shoes are.
Perhaps when I'm old and still haven't learned to ride rubber side down.
Until then someone will surely come up with new indoor bike gear that makes it all fun.
FLV wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:29 am Someone at work mainly cycles indoor year round. Has 3 turbos and 3 screens all connected to 3 Apple wotsits (his wife and kid do it too). He has told me before all his kit he uses indoor is specific for that use.

Madness in my eyes
Yeah, that seems quite crazy.
techno

Post by techno »

Drop bar nubbins for extra hand positions. https://peng.bike/products/track-hoods

Perfect for riding your drip bar off road fixie :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

https://peng.bike/products/track-hoods
$10 for a £1 length of threaded bar - bargain :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:50 am https://peng.bike/products/track-hoods
$10 for a £1 length of threaded bar - bargain :wink:
:???:
I should be buying those dummy brake hoods though and bunging them on the steamroller in lieu of brakes
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

£20 is more like it. That said I think I'm going with F&R brakes as it makes riding fixed much easier.....
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:50 pm Here you go Phil https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-t ... amp-black/
Much betterer
Boab

Post by Boab »

Adidas are really slaying it with their naming, I give you The Strapless Cycling Bib Shorts, featuring unaggressive leg grippers. Whatever next...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Strapless Bib Shorts, aka Shorts?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Boab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:13 am , featuring unaggressive leg grippers. Whatever next...

Unaggressive meaning loose judging by the pictures. Maybe they're that way to enable the full "Slav squat"
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:14 pm Always lusted after a Brooklyn

Now's your chance stu:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooklyn-Mac ... 635-2958-0
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... but not that much :wink: