Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by techno »

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

techno wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:16 pm Richey carbon boost forks: https://eu.ritcheylogic.com/eu_en/bike/ ... ntain-fork
€600 :lol:
atk

Post by atk »

Guess this fits here :wink:

Missed a trick not being a three way collab with Lachlan Morton.

belugabob

Post by belugabob »

atk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:29 am Guess this fits here :wink:

Missed a trick not being a three way collab with Lachlan Morton.

Are they SPD compatible?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:52 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:31 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am
This should appeal to everyone
Uhm, maybe if they weren't quite so fugly.

:YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK:
is this classed as Hike-a-bike? :lol:
with the stepping rather than peddling propulsion.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Boab

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I suppose if nothing else, they ^ completely disprove the idea that you 'pull up' when riding clipped in :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Many, many years ago I did a week-long tour of the Blue Mountains in St'raya in summer. I had my cycling shoes but dangled them off the rack after Day One as it was so hot and there were a bizzillion stream crossings, and rode the rest in the thongs* I'd taken along for camp duties. Crocs hadn't been invented but I'd had given a very big lot of something to have had a pair. I love my Crocs, and I wear them with socks. I ride in them regularly, mostly up to the Tesco on shopping trips and they are my house slippers as well. I don't need SPD compatible Crocs though as I ride flats and Crocs interface beautifully with them.

* Reg, I suspect if you read this you won't be able to resist the idea that I was wearing g-strings on me feet. I challenge you to find a fitting photo, sir.
I'm just going outside ...
ton

Post by ton »

i ride in a pair of £1.99 croc-a-likes from aldi.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've got a pair of old Crocs with worn out soles, so I got some dot pattern sticky rubber and glued it on. I mostly use them for canoeing, but the sticky rubber makes the soles quite a bit stiffer and even better for cycling in.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ton wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:11 pm i ride in a pair of £1.99 croc-a-likes from aldi.
Better than Croc-a-lakes. :o
or ChocCrocs, they double as rations :-bd , but very soft in the sun. :sad:
I bet you can see the C'l'ogs turning in mi' mind, which thinks of another Pun-a-rama, as its nearly cheerily Friday.

ducts for cover.....
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm getting a prototype rear rack cum holster that https://www.spokeduk.com/ have designed to have a look at soonish. Think bindle rack rather than a tubus jobby.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

these look promising at a price.
fillmore bike valves, ex engineers from Santa Cruz

https://bikepacking.com/gear/reserve-fi ... es-review/
* 1st adopter warning...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Think I will save £45 and remove my cores to make tubeless.
Also not sure filling via valve won't block it
That said it does look like it's probably an improvement but the price is steep for limited gain ( and it's gain when faffing in your warm shed / kitchen )
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

From an armchair POV that looks like a massive waste of money. Still, biking innit :roll: :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's nice to see someone taking a design and actually improving it rather than simply changing it for the sake of it ... but yes, they do seem expensive and I'm wary of any review where the writer needs to spend a quarter of it justifying the price of something. Generally, that means whatever it is, is too expensive for the market.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:45 pm It's nice to see someone taking a design and actually improving it rather than simply changing it for the sake of it ... but yes, they do seem expensive and I'm wary of any review where the writer needs to spend a quarter of it justifying the price of something. Generally, that means whatever it is, is too expensive for the market.
Suprised something like this hadn't come out sooner tbh. £25-40 is only 3-4 pairs of cloggy old roadie's valves and the price will come down in time. And we have £9k E-MTBs on £2k wheels so a £40 valve is fine (esp if the ano colours are cool - hey not my thing but based on the bikes I see it's critical to many). I agree, for most they're a bit ££.

People need some payback for the time needed in getting something like this to market though and ok it's just a threaded bit of tube, and I've bodged an old Woods-style valve that Indian bikes use to see if it could be adapted for tubeless - it was easy, results were halfway there.. But putting a proper machined version onto the market where the outcome of a faulty valve letting a load of air go (4x faster than a standard valve no less?) means you'd need some sound testing, liability insurance etc? Plus protecting the idea so you don't get ripped off? Most of us wouldn't bother. I didn't :smile: Good luck to those who do and it needs to pay them back for improving one of the things on a bike that's been in need of it for a long time. I have my eye on a couple of sets of the 76 bikes valve sets.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

People need some payback for the time needed in getting something like this to market though and ok it's just a threaded bit of tube, and I've bodged an old Woods-style valve that Indian bikes use to see if it could be adapted for tubeless - it was easy, results were halfway there.. But putting a proper machined version onto the market where the outcome of a faulty valve letting a load of air go (4x faster than a standard valve no less?) means you'd need some sound testing, liability insurance etc? Plus protecting the idea so you don't get ripped off? Most of us wouldn't bother. I didn't :smile: Good luck to those who do and it needs to pay them back for improving one of the things on a bike that's been in need of it for a long time. I have my eye on a couple of sets of the 76 bikes valve sets.
Totally agree with all that James but I don't see that that the market will stand the price until it lowers and that might not happen until (a) the price lowers which a catch 22 obviously or (b) someone in China starts banging them out for £4.99 on Aliexpress.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Would be interesting to see how well they did against Stans Race.

Do people really have that much trouble getting tyres to seat? I don't have a compressor and I've never really struggled too badly (original Stans Tubeless valves). Never had them clog on me either (but I also don't fill through the valve, even with the old Stans).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Everyone I know, in the real world, has some degree of difficulty seating tyres but the internet keeps telling me it's dead easy. Continental tyres are so poor two shops who refused to try for a mate. Took me two week to fully seat (!had to use an inner tube to bead one side and a tyre strap and it still took 3 more days to seal.
I have also had one that just pop on first time without drama.

All valves jam if you use the valve to fill but it's easy to clean them
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've never used Continental tyres, so maybe that helps?

I've got three bikes running tubeless and have never had any significant issues with any of the tyres I own (Bontrager, Maxxis and Schwalbe). Odd.

Are people using inappropriate width tyres on their rims?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I didn’t think much to the review tbh. Takes out the old gunked up valve, inserts spanking new ones, inflates tyre, is amazed. Great, come back after 12 months of sealant sloshing around your tyres and try it again.

Agree with James and Stu about development cost + risk etc affecting the price, but I’ve not had a massive issue with the removable cores on Presta valves to warrant a change. I remove the cores to fit my ghetto blaster anyway, and you hardly loose much air between removing said blaster and threading the valve core back in (if you’re quick/ well practiced) and pump to desired pressure with hand or track pump.
a faulty valve letting a load of air go (4x faster than a standard valve no less?)
This made me laugh though!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Still not better than a schraeder from which you can unscrew the valve core for seating (and cleaning). Also £5 off ebay....
On the gravel bike I've had enough hassles with tubeless for expensive valves to be of little value but then everyone else seems to manage tubeless on gravel bikes without any problems.....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I had hassle but I did get there ( commuter tyres don't last a month without a top up of air (35 mm) the 44 stay up fine(!different wheelset)
. Are people using inappropriate width tyres on their rims?
I doubt we all are it's just my experience is tubeless set up can be anything from 20 seconds to a few days. Basically it's just very variable results going ttubeless but I always get there in the end.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I didn’t think much to the review tbh. Takes out the old gunked up valve, inserts spanking new ones, inflates tyre, is amazed. Great, come back after 12 months of sealant sloshing around your tyres and try it again.
Agreed.

Also re: tubeless - mine have been fine so far, so much so that I wonder what the folks struggling are doing "wrong" (probably nowt). I'm sure mentioning this means my next attempt will be an utter 'mare :lol: