Lazarus

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Lazarus »

I would prefer your good luck than you have my bad luck :-bd

There is also another thread asking how to get tubeless tyres off
Boab

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Always lusted after a Brooklyn

May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:14 pm Always lusted after a Brooklyn

Yeah me too. Proper machine those.
Boab wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:21 pm LAL split-derailleur Supre Drive...

That's a really interesting system. Requires a custom frame to work with it unfortunately, looks to me like the top run of chain is in a bad place, same with the brooklyn tbf. Still, good to see someone developing new drivetrain tech.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

What don't you like about the chain routing? High pivot with an idler cog seems to be highly thought of by folk designing rear suspension systems, as they prevent the chain tension affecting the suspension performance (and vice versa).
techno

Post by techno »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:01 pm What don't you like about the chain routing? High pivot with an idler cog seems to be highly thought of by folk designing rear suspension systems, as they prevent the chain tension affecting the suspension performance (and vice versa).
It looks vulnerable to me. More exposed to mud and prone to dragging stuff/itself around the the wheel. I'm probably wrong.
The high idler looks ready to pull wayward clothing in too.
I love the hidden mech idea and engineering though.
jameso

Post by jameso »

That Lal system's a fascinating project, similar to old road bike systems in a way but designed for full-on MTB use.

You might get a lot of the clearance benefits plus more frame compatibility from a clutched chain tensioner at the BB area (1x makes this practical) and then having a very short, cage-less mech on a hanger as normal. That really would be pre-war road bike ideas on modern MTB.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

techno wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:37 am The high idler looks ready to pull wayward clothing in too
Also not very practical for folks with big calves.
When I rode a high idler DH bike for a couple of minutes down a track near Leysin where Dan tests bikes for Pinkbike, I rode in shorts and knee pads and my calf showed quite some rubbing. Not enough to be sore, but the way I'm built and ride I would certainly need to do something about it (-> not get one). No change I'd ride such a thing for long days in the saddle (be it with or without shuttles).

Still, many good ideas in there. Hopefully his next step will be to move the whole rear bunch forward (and some of the front would obv. need to go to the hub). Kind of what Honda did and Trinity has just presented, but with his genius take at solving problems. He and Vince from Bold should get talking...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

https://brickcaps.com/products/customlegovalvecaps

Lego valve caps

I’ll say that slowly, LEGO VALVE CAPS :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Six quid for a Lego head? Wow. Pretty sure I could raid the kids Lego bits box and get a pair for nowt. Obviously need to tap a thread into them, but I guess that’s not hard if they’re doing it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Mason RAW steel hardtail.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Boab wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:20 pm Mason RAW steel hardtail.
That's a nice looking bike (like all Mason's), but I always think the chain should be parallel top and bottom - so small cog at the back not one of the big cogs. It would look so much nicer (or is that just me?)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I think I know what you're getting at, but I'm not sure that visual rule of thumb quite works in these days of wide range cassettes and loads of chain slack. Feels like a vintage road bike kind of thing.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Ian wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:53 am Six quid for a Lego head? Wow. Pretty sure I could raid the kids Lego bits box and get a pair for nowt. Obviously need to tap a thread into them, but I guess that’s not hard if they’re doing it.
Lego heads are about 30p each from lego.com if you're buying in bulk
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's a nice looking bike
It's not hard to look at but I'm just not seeing anything that hasn't been available from various manufacturers for years. Am I missing something obvious?
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:01 pm It's not hard to look at but I'm just not seeing anything that hasn't been available from various manufacturers for years. Am I missing something obvious?
I think it's really nice. I don't think it has to offer something that is unique or hasn't been available before. People buy all sorts of things because they like the colour, the shape, the fit, the ethos of the company making it, the logo, the packaging, the adverts they see, the founder's haircut, the dog they post pictures of on Instagram.....

It does seem like an odd thing with bike consumers getting offended by something they're unlikely to buy (not a dig at you Stu, I'm not assuming you're offended but if you look at some of the comments on other forums about this bike, it's insane). I'm not sure that attitude is unique to bicycles but I don't think we'd see the same commentary on socks or trousers. Or cars. How many cars actually offer something that isn't available from other manufacturers? And yet here we have hundreds of models of cars and loads that all effectively look and perform the same way.

I like it and I'm sure it'll do ok.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's really nice. I don't think it has to offer something that is unique or hasn't been available before. People buy all sorts of things because they like the colour, the shape, the fit, the ethos of the company making it, the logo, the packaging, the adverts they see, the founder's haircut, the dog they post pictures of on Instagram.....

It does seem like an odd thing with bike consumers getting offended by something they're unlikely to buy (not a dig at you Stu, I'm not assuming you're offended but if you look at some of the comments on other forums about this bike, it's insane). I'm not sure that attitude is unique to bicycles but I don't think we'd see the same commentary on socks or trousers. Or cars. How many cars actually offer something that isn't available from other manufacturers? And yet here we have hundreds of models of cars and loads that all effectively look and perform the same way.

I like it and I'm sure it'll do ok.
No, don't get me wrong, I don't mind it and I'm certainly not offended by it and I hope they sell lots. My comment was perhaps a reply to Steve's comment about its looks and the fact that I couldn't see anything that would make me think it was any better or worse looking than a whole host of other bikes. I appreciate that it's quite difficult to make two triangles welded together look anything other than two triangles welded together :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just what I was thinking - hardtails have become quite the thing in the last 15 years or so but from a distance they all look the same, because they are, roughly speaking. The devil is in the detail but the basic structure aint going to change - every attempt to do that didn't last long, usually for a good reason (E stays anybody?) I guess its about choice - if you have a specific geo requirement / like then you'll find it without having to go custom. Fair play to fiveland bikes for netting the contract.

I think it looks pretty good but then I ride a stupid weird Jones so I'm a poor judge of aesthetics...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:01 pm Am I missing something obvious?
I had a closer look at the numbers and... wow.
Spot on geo for an offroad touring bike and my likes/shapes. May not be applicable for you.

If I wasn't such a sucker for ssp and more tyre options (more clearance), it would be at the top of my list if I would have to I replace my current offroad tourer.
Probably one of a very few options I'd seriously consider next to custom made.

From a personal perspective I say well done Mason.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ yeah, agreed. There's not a lot around that isn't full LLS enduro geometry and is set up for shorter forks. There's a lot I like about it. As I tried to get across on another thread I don't think it's particularly overpriced, it's just made in the UK by one quality company and sold by another company who doesn't want to sell on price and has pride in what they do. That's a good thing and I'd like to see more of it, or a larger market for it.
It does seem like an odd thing with bike consumers getting offended by something they're unlikely to buy

I wonder if it's like luxury goods brands, it brings out a kind of inferiority complex in those who don't want those goods but feel as if people might look down on them for not having them. Defensive against perception of inferiority in a superficial / materialistic society. Comes across into bikes like any aspect of life. A bit like me and my taste in cars, ie cheap. I have to admit there's an element of feeling defensive about why I wouldn't have something more aspirational. Or, aspirational in any way :smile: Marketing gets to us all somehow.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I think the Mason is obviously very well thought out indeed, good geometry, good finish, and It's really good that it's made and finished in the UK. It's totally outside of my price range (by about 3x), so my only minor gripe is really the market forces that mean UK built stuff is out of my reach. Having said that, others have mentioned elsewhere that for less money you could get a custom Curtis or something like that - which is a good point (thought still out of my reach for now. maybe a long term goal).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I tend to keep an eye on Bikeradar for no other reason than it occupies a few minutes when I'm having by breakfast and its always nice to see their take on bikepacking stuff :???: . Anyway, a couple of things caught my eye this week - https://www.bikeradar.com/features/firs ... -dungaree/ errr. £500 for a pair of dungas.... My experience of using them (Keela munros to be clear) for skiing is that unless its at least -10 they are far too hot... Further down is a pair of £200 pedals. They look nice but would you really spend that much dosh on something you are then going to repeatedly hit off a rock. Its bad enough with fancy cranks....

And (OT I sincerely hope)... https://www.bikeradar.com/news/adidas-l ... door-shoe/ I keep thinking there needs to be a vigilante mob that roams the country dragging people off their trainers and telling them to ride outside, as well as offering helpful advice on suitable clothing to wear (not dungarees)
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

faustus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:26 pm I think the Mason is obviously very well thought out indeed, good geometry, good finish, and It's really good that it's made and finished in the UK. It's totally outside of my price range (by about 3x), so my only minor gripe is really the market forces that mean UK built stuff is out of my reach. Having said that, others have mentioned elsewhere that for less money you could get a custom Curtis or something like that - which is a good point (thought still out of my reach for now. maybe a long term goal).
Yikes, £1700 just for the frame! That would make it about 10x outside my price range :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:30 am I tend to keep an eye on Bikeradar for no other reason than it occupies a few minutes when I'm having by breakfast and its always nice to see their take on bikepacking stuff :???: . Anyway, a couple of things caught my eye this week - https://www.bikeradar.com/features/firs ... -dungaree/ errr. £500 for a pair of dungas.... My experience of using them (Keela munros to be clear) for skiing is that unless its at least -10 they are far too hot... Further down is a pair of £200 pedals. They look nice but would you really spend that much dosh on something you are then going to repeatedly hit off a rock. Its bad enough with fancy cranks....

And (OT I sincerely hope)... https://www.bikeradar.com/news/adidas-l ... door-shoe/ I keep thinking there needs to be a vigilante mob that roams the country dragging people off their trainers and telling them to ride outside, as well as offering helpful advice on suitable clothing to wear (not dungarees)
Well Reg the Marshian, is a candidate for the Dungarees, following his love of bog, and using waders to get remote grid ref ticks on his Bedford NSEW epic this year. Pete had more sense or less scents , well certain not as smelly as fetid swam muddy waders. he need the full foot special ediion, waterproof zips
Of course you need indoor cycling shoes, so they look good on social media, you don't want to wear out the outdoor shoes only used in the dry.... and the your spinning classes, you ,must have the latest, lightest kit for going nowhere. :wink:
Pedal made in Scotland, what not to like needle bearing proper oil seals, pricey ?- wait for the sale. But they'll last for ever. Pedal Bash, whats that ? , Improve your technique & speed., more airtime = less bash time 'It's a thing' as the kids say. its on Utube authenticity guaranteed.
You have previewed the route with your drone?Up your game :grin: :lol: invest in the outdoor industry that thrives on making & marketing the unnecessary.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

. The shoe will retail for £110
For an indoor shoe..... nuts