New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by redefined_cycles »

rudedog wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:01 am For another £20 you can get your name added to them :lol:

https://www.sinter.si/en/sinter-elite/8 ... elite.html

Essential for those times you’ve accidentally mixed your pads up with someone else’s.
:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Is there a gravel specific version too?
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:48 pm https://slam69.co.uk/products/schwalbe- ... re-26x4-8/
Not seen these before - a bit spendy (!) but looks suitably humongous - might even beat a Surly Bud on the weight stakes :-bd
Ooooo, chonky!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Spa Cycles advert for their new Rove has just popped up on my FB feed. Would like to see pix of a full build
faustus

Post by faustus »

Sounds interesting, what kind of bike was it, gravel etc?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p4 ... e-Frameset

Looking at the reach figures, I'd guess drop-bar off-road (a la Fargo etc.)?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Gravel bikes are so passé these days, it's all about the drop bar mountain bike.
faustus

Post by faustus »

You're right about drop bar MTBs (see https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/kutxo-frame)

I quite like the sound of the 725 steel version of the Rove. It looks super practical, with mounts for everything including mudguards. It'll no doubt be good value too. Quite 'old fashioned' geometry in some ways, as it's supposed to be based on flat bars (so the blurb says), but the reach would work with drops too to make it a bit like a fargo as mentioned An XL with a slackerizer headset would make it a cracking ATB I reckon!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm guessing the chaps at Spa haven't bothered googling for other bikes that might be called "Rove" or are confident that some brands lawyers aren't so eager to get stuck in! :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://cyclorise.com/pages/ochain
I'm forever amazed at the **** that people come up with to solve non-problems....
And a snip at £300
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm forever amazed at the **** that people come up with to solve non-problems....
And a snip at £300
So it's basically a 'cush drive'? I'm reckoning that there's only a small amount of movement available, so while the benefits listed would in theory be correct (depending on the bike design), they'd be very limited.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:31 pm
And a snip at £300
So it's basically a 'cush drive'? I'm reckoning that there's only a small amount of movement available, so while the benefits listed would in theory be correct (depending on the bike design), they'd be very limited.
Pretty much, and given the effect of suspension from pedalling will be minimal if the pivot is close to the chain line which most are, the effect of this will be minimal x minimal = BA....
Funny how at the other end hub manus are adding more pawls and teeth for instant engagement....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

so while the benefits listed would in theory be correct (depending on the bike design), they'd be very limited.
You are never going to make it in marketing with this sort of honest appraisal of a product :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Forget droppers - we now have a 'thing' that alters the angle of your saddle. Apparently, it's a game changer and only £170

https://www.aenomalyconstructs.com/
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:31 pm
And a snip at £300
Similar to the rubbers in the sprocket carrier of a rear motorcycle hub.
Next thing you know they'll put the gears at the front sprocket end.
Then it'll be shaft drive.
Then we'll ask if a shaft drive bike can do a wheelie.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Forget droppers - we now have a 'thing' that alters the angle of your saddle. Apparently, it's a game changer and only £170
Its for droppers
Bolt onto your favorite dropper post or fixed seatpost. Tilt the back up for more saddle height and a steeper seat angle to crush climbs with ease and in total comfort. Then rotate the saddle out of the way for more clearance and control on descents.
As if dropping the saddle 4-8 " is not enough you can tilt the saddle down as well - a solution to a problem that just does not exist
One wonder why anyone went to all that trouble to design something that does nothing of use at all
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

yourguitarhero wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:22 pm Then it'll be shaft drive.
Then we'll ask if a shaft drive bike can do a wheelie.
:grin:
Lazarus wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:22 pm As if dropping the saddle 4-8 " is not enough you can tilt the saddle down as well - a solution to a problem that just does not exist
One wonder why anyone went to all that trouble to design something that does nothing of use at all
I can't say I've ever felt the need to alter the saddle angle for a descent or a climb, or at all once I've got it where I want it. I know I'm me and not everyone else but +1 this is a load of old rubbish. I wonder if it's a semi scam? Get a load of them knocked up cheap from china, do some clever marketing so you can flog most of them at a tidy profit, then disappear off the face of the earth (well to south America)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

There's at least two doctors he quotes on his website that think it's great. Plus a pro-freerider.

Dammit - TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!

And who ever said the beauty of a bike was its simplicity :lol: :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Reminds me a bit of this old Specialized post

Call me a sucker for marketing but a product that is designed by people who ride in BC might have a value that we don't appreciate so much here?
I expect they see the value in it ; )

When I rode an MTB that had it's saddle down 90% of the time I preferred the saddle to be nose-up. If I climb for a while I tend to sit fwd on it and angling it down can help. Do I need a gadget to do that mid ride? No. Do most of my rides consist of really tricky climbs for 2+ hours then ride back to the valley on one go? Unf not.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:06 pm Do I need a gadget to do that mid ride? No. Do most of my rides consist of really tricky climbs for 2+ hours then ride back to the valley on one go? Unf not.
Thanks James.
I thought I was the only one who does see some potential for that sort of product. But then I do in fact ride quite a bit of that sort.
I get around the issue of the saddle being in a position that helps me on the ups (and flats), by collecting bruises. Despite 175 mm dropper, the rear of the saddle still gets in the way on the cruxes of steep & techy descends. Yet, not too big of an issue to have considered that or similar products.

Similar to me with the o-chain spider. I do sometimes (rarely) feel this surprising hit on the pedals (kickback), when riding (coasting and pedalling) over rough terrain with hard hits at low speeds. With some bikes more than with others.
But again, never enough to consider the o-chain.
Never tried one, but probably would, if I was racing DH and was good at it and with a bike that has a rear ward axle path.

Some of my mates make proper fun of my fatbike and say pretty much the same (marketing bs, rubbish, no need etc.) about it as some say about the discussed components. I guess it simply depends on where you come from and where you're heading (riding style/terrain).

Horses for courses.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Interesting that even this aspect of bike riding is personal

never entered my head to change seat angle and 4" dropper works for me - though the lakes wont be the alps- i am confident you are riding more technical /harder stuff than i am
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Matt Beer of pinkbike thought the saddle angle thing was a decent bit of kit. He kinda glossed over the price tag a little.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-aeno ... ster.html
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having never ever once thought whilst riding, 'ooh, I wish there was a way I could adjust the angle of my saddle at the stroke of a lever', I now feel like I've somehow failed in my cycling life. I honestly thought honing my ability to register a 0.5psi difference in tyre pressures would be enough to prove my 'at oneness' with my bicycle but no.

On a slightly more serious note and it's a genuine question ... once someone has dropped their saddle for descending, is it not so far below them, that they won't be in contact with it anyway, so what angle it's at is unimportant?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

New Salsa out later today (US office hours presumably), looks like an alloy framed Cutthroat from the bar width and tyres fitted.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Now that sounds interesting! Even though I just said my camino al was a keeper! :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

faustus wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:14 am Now that sounds interesting! Even though I just said my camino al was a keeper! :lol:
Stand down, the new bike is just an old bike in a different colour! :lol: