there's no logic to a roadies choices
Unlike MTB who always make sensible/cheap choices such as carbon jones bars eh
fatbikephil

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

Lazarus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:20 pm
there's no logic to a roadies choices
Unlike MTB who always make sensible/cheap choices such as carbon jones bars eh
I'll have you know, my decision to buy a set of Carbon Jones bars was based on months of research, much soul searching, hours of working out comparative weight to cost ratios and 1 minute on the trail with them. I made a wise choice I'm absolutely sure :mrgreen: OK they were second hand on here and a fool and his money are soon parted.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have some as well :oops:

They are lovely but are they really worth the new price?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:06 pm I have some as well :oops:

I bought mine to try and solve the loss of sensation in my hands when riding, which they sort have helped. Have you seen the current price of them new, £399 :o At that price some sort of surgical option would have been cheaper :lol: That's over £100 increase in 3 years.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lazarus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:06 pm I have some as well :oops:

It's like all Jones stuff, over priced, but if you wish to join that exclusive club, then the price is irrelevant :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Think I'd rather buy some of those bouncy bamboo bars Stu has...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Boab wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm Think I'd rather buy some of those bouncy bamboo bars Stu has...
Not after having read on Bikepacking.com about the catastrophic failure one guy had. :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not after having read on Bikepacking.com about the catastrophic failure one guy had.
Out of how many pairs though? Obviously it's not good but one failure doesn't make a poor product ... they've undergone the same test procedures as other bars.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:51 pm
Not after having read on Bikepacking.com about the catastrophic failure one guy had.
Out of how many pairs though? Obviously it's not good but one failure doesn't make a poor product ... they've undergone the same test procedures as other bars.
Only to city and trekking bike standards , not MTB. There seems to some question over there suitability, but where bikepacking falls into the grey area between " trkking" and " mtb" is anybody's guess.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Only to city and trekking bike standards , not MTB.
True. I suppose it's a blurred line and it's up to each of us to decide if or when we cross it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Anyone for a 100% recycled plastic city runaround...?
Meet the igus:bike.
'The plastic in the world's landfills is becoming a valuable resource'
igus® presents a world first: A robust and durable bicycle that consists of more than 90% plastic - from the frame to the bearings to the toothed belt. A high proportion of the raw materials required can be covered by recycling plastic waste.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ugly as sin but I like their thinking :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

My first though was if it would survive some off road bike packing. Would be a perfect bike to use between the park and ride, and work...
psling

Post by psling »

I wonder if it floats? No need to strap it to the packraft, just tow it behind :wink:

And imagine the storage options within the frame for bikepacking :o
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:51 pm
There have been multiple failures.

Not all bars run through the same tests. These (Paschier resin/bamboo bars) were tested according to the ISO test for city and kids bikes. Not the mtb test. There's a huge difference between the two.

All the gummi explanations on their website only showed up once users with broken bars went public.

How much is weight per weight is actually bamboo? Of one bamboo bar making brand I know that they use carbon sleeves and resin. Seems these are not much different.
As with a bamboo frame, just go check how much resin actually is needed. But yeah, so much greener than my 5 y old carbon bars, which are still going strong :wink:

Not so long story short; I would recommend then to folks I dislike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

were tested according to the ISO test for city and kids bikes
My understanding is that also includes 'trekking' Gian but in fairness I, like everyone else isn't quite sure where that starts and stops. I shall continue to use them and report back on my progress ... unless of course I'm dead somewhere. :wink:
As with a bamboo frame, just go check how much resin actually is needed.
Perhaps not quite as much resin required to laminate as people imagine ... after all, a thin 'glue line' on well prepared surfaces is generally stronger than a thick one.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:15 pm
My understanding is that also includes 'trekking' Gian but in fairness I, like everyone else isn't quite sure where that starts and stops. I shall continue to use them and report back on my progress ... unless of course I'm dead somewhere. :wink:
As with a bamboo frame, just go check how much resin actually is needed.
Perhaps not quite as much resin required to laminate as people imagine ... after all, a thin 'glue line' on well prepared surfaces is generally stronger than a thick one.
I just hope they have it sorted and don't run into trouble.
Their marketing goes beyond touring use after all.
And then there's also the issue with cold temperatures.
I find it quite sketchy. Seems safer to ride a penny on easy single tracks...

Edit: just went through their IG feed and saw a set of images how they're made. Seems to involve a fair amount of resin (eg. seemingly more than with prepeg carbon laminates).
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:15 pm
There are two different, relevant tests here. One for City/Trekking and one for MTB. There are others for 'kids' and 'racing'. The fatigue tests for Trekking and MTB are similar. The test method is the same, applying a force to each end of the bar 50mm from the end. The cycle count is the same for both tests (100,000 cycles) but the applied force is different. In a test where the force is applied to both ends in the same direction then the force applied is 250N for trekking and 450N for MTB, so quite a difference. There's also a test with a smaller applied force where the application of force to each end of the bar is out of phase. These tests assume the bar is clamped in a stem. These are CEN tests from a while back. There are newer tests in play now, maybe @jameso is more familiar with the newer ones but I'd be surprised if they are much different.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thank you Steven.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just had a look on the Passchier bar website. imho they're not very clear about the relevance of the testing they do and leave it as a grey area. They say they're not for DH use but are ok for 'trail'. So are they MTB bars or not? In all the info they give about testing they don't clarify that they test to EN City + Trekking, not MTB. They leave you to figure what level they're tested to (or even that there are levels) from reading a section of EN4120. As Steven pointed out the MTB test uses 45kgs not 25kgs of the C+T test which is a big difference.
So many 31.8mm clamp 'city' bike bars I know of from decent OEM manufacturers pass the MTB standard. Because the end use isn't clear and you can fit MTB controls it makes sense to test to the higher standard to be on the safe side, and it's not a difficult test to pass with a 31.8mm Alu bar of average rather than 800mm widths.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Zit Bitz!? Maybe if they did a Bearbones edition :wink: https://ridepdw.com/products/zit-bitz-frame-bolts
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

$15 each could soon get very expensive. I'm sure an M5 x 15 cap-head would be much cheaper. Oh yes, 200 in stainless for £19 or if you're reet posh £3.40 each for Ti including coloured variations. :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Or just a plastic bung. Cheaper , lighter and more aerodynamic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202879897613 ... BM1peX5axg
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Plastic screws are cheap as chips. Or a wee dod of silicon sealant in the hole
faustus

Post by faustus »

Yep, rubber caps available too...plus the zitbitz have all got really sh1te graphics on them. These look nicer and a bit cheaper if you want bling, and easier to remove: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSNITSSB/ ... SNITSSB-M5