Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: When?????

Post by Lazarus »

yes for once it was actually relevant rather than gloating :grin:
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Charged with culpable and reckless conduct for what reason? For breaking lockdown, being ill equipped or needing rescued?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-52892409
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Received this from a senior police officer (but one who is an active outdoor person) in relation to a different activity.
Regulation 6 of the Coronavirus Regulations was amended on 1st June to clarify what was meant by staying away from home. There had been some misconception that this only related to second homes. The amended wording is as follows;

“6.—(1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living.”
Prior to a subsequent telephone conversation (with a colleague not me) he had taken legal counsel to clarify that at one minute to midnight you must be "at home".

And
The legislation was obviously hurried due to circumstances and many try to find loopholes by claiming that it does not specifically mention their activity (fishing, running etc.) and there is a ‘reasonableness’ aspect that allows officers to use discretion, but the principle is – stay at home overnight. I really do not want our officers to give out any fines at all and would prefer that everybody just adhered to the Guidance and Regulations.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting that Bob..... pretty unequivocal...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I assume there must be more wording somewhere, otherwise being a nurse on night shift will be tricky :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 pm I assume there must be more wording somewhere, otherwise being a nurse on night shift will be tricky :wink:
F’ing brilliant that Sean!
I’m calling my boss now.....! :-bd

....hang on a minute... ‘just cause’ ....b0ll0x....
I’ll be going to work after all :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:15 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 pm I assume there must be more wording somewhere, otherwise being a nurse on night shift will be tricky :wink:

....hang on a minute... ‘reasonable excuse’ ....b0ll0x....
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Whist we're sort of on the topic, it was revealed today that the MP for the Isle of Wight went to a bbq where the brexit party leader and his wife were plus others, this was several weeks ago. Several attendees were staying at their second homes on the Island.

So regarding staying out overnight you could say that you went for a ride to a bbq to test your eyesight but on the way home it got dark you couldn't see well enough to continue :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:15 pm

....hang on a minute... ‘just cause’ ....b0ll0x....
When has going to work been reasonable, I think it's rather unreasonable I'm still having to work :smile:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

This evening been chatting (on the phone) with my pensions guy.

He tells me that his head office has had a tip off that the North West (where the R number is now above 1) will get put on a 3 week lockdown if the R rate doesn't drop below 1 in the very near future.

What with the last 2 weeks shenanigans from the politicians and litter louts I can't see the R number dropping here any time soon.
Lockdown #2 here we come
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Another quote:
There are some exceptions that are not really relevant to this debate. In response to an issue that was raised earlier in the week I have taken legal advice on possible interpretations of this wording. This advice concludes that the act of being somewhere other than your home overnight in any manner is a breach of the Regulations and potentially enforceable. As you will be aware numerous campers & campervanners have been fined in relation to this Regulation recently.
None of the exceptions apply to leisure activities - going to work, with caring for others specifically mentioned, legal obligations like court appearances, funerals of close family members, etc.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Unless its reasonablebto be on nighshift Sean. I'm not sure it is...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There is no equivalent clause in the Scottish regulations or associated guidance.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lockdown #2 here we come
The irony is John, number 1 was never lifted, some people just seem to think it was :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 pm There is no equivalent clause in the Scottish regulations or associated guidance.
I'm wrestling with myself over what I can/n't do currently, reading the regs and guidance for a steer. We dont have that reg but we do have:

Restrictions on movement
5.—(1) Except to the extent that a defence would be available under regulation 8(4), during the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living.

8. -(4) It is a defence ... a reasonable excuse.
...a reasonable excuse includes the need— a)to obtain basic necessities, ... etc, I'll not copy the whole lot
---

And importantly, thankfully rule 1 front at the centre of the guidance.

Where in the guidance do you think it's ok, in phase 1, to wild camp? I guess it's the mention of "Non-contact, outdoor activities in your local areas"(?).

I have read and reread the regs and guidance, and I think I am searching for a piece of justification that simply isnt and wouldnt be specifically written down, leaving people to rule 1. Entirely subjectively, I am considering a night camping in phase 3 or probably even 4.

NB I'm not arguing with you or anyone, just trying to understand your opinion (so I can better understand my own, which is currently hazy and ill-formed)
Last edited by jamiep on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 pm There is no equivalent clause in the Scottish regulations or associated guidance.
Very specific warnings from the First Minister last week on taking the piss by camping.

In addition: the article is Scottish police dealing with Scottish people in Scotland :roll:
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It seems like people are looking at the exceptions and trying to wrangle things to make their circumstances fit the exceptions rather than accepting that the rules apply to them. I do realise that many of the comments are rhetorical/tongue in cheek BTW.

I don't like the current situation any more than anyone else here (or elsewhere). I could go for a bivy away from my home, which would be illegal (in England and Wales Colin) anyway without the landowner's permission. But, unless I posted about it on here or someone happened to see me bivvying then no-one would know. Would it be a problem in any case? Probably not, in fact if I didn't meet anyone almost certainly not, but it's like speeding - just because others are doing it doesn't make it right for me to do it.

No doubt there will be further obfuscation, bluster and blunder from the government in the coming weeks leading to more problems in understanding what we are meant to do for the best for everyone.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:06 am what we are meant to do for the best for everyone.
That's just it though, it's us that's meant to do the best for everyone whilst the government ministers / MPs do what they want. My MP claimed he didn't know it was a bbq he was attending and he thought it was a meeting to discuss the tracing app. So he decided that he needed a face to face meeting to discuss an app for a phone, why not just use the phone to call them :roll:

Meanwhile, my social media and strava is full of people carrying on with life as normal, the SD300 record has been beaten twice in the last few weeks, how can a 200 mile ride lasting just under 24 hours be acceptable, or even legal if you're meant to be home by midnight?

Why should I put my life on hold if loads of others aren't bothering, am I wasting my time doing the right thing, it's beginning to feel like I am.
jameso

Post by jameso »

No doubt there will be further obfuscation, bluster and blunder from the government in the coming weeks
Weeks? Optimistic. I reckon it's a full-time thing for these idiots :grin:

Edit - 'Idiots' absolves them somewhat. They're acting intentionally. So more like professional liars and disaster profiteers.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

am I wasting my time doing the right thing, it's beginning to feel like I am.
The problem is that the rule breakers will bring us down to their level rather than we bring them up to our level

its goes on everywhere - Bivvy rides on here being another example
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

its goes on everywhere - Bivvy rides on here being another example
Has anyone posted any? We've had discussion, I don't recall anyone posting anything that didn't take place on their own land / garden? I could have missed something mind.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I think you have missed more than one
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think you have missed more than one
Must pay more attention.
postierich

Post by postierich »

None of mine I hope!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The irony is John, number 1 was never lifted, some people just seem to think it was
Whatever gave them that idea..... :|

I went for a pre-breakfast ride this morning and chatted to a fella creeping out of the woods in Borrowdale with road bike and full touring kit - panniers etc. Said he's been in the Lakes touring all week. Off back to Forest of Bowland today. :roll: