When?????

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: When?????

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 am The problem in cricket is the ball.
That's what I found when I played it at school, without the ball it would be much easier :grin:

Can't the fielders just wear gloves? And ban the bowler from spitting on it before polishing his knackers.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm ...when you see that the "Leader of the free world" has built a wall across the south of the US...
US immigration policy defeated by a piece of tape :roll: . He clearly didn't think it through :lol: .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dkG7koiNiq4
May you always have tail wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When? Whenever you like having seen this picture. I don't think there's any odd angles or funny lenses going on there.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

MuddyPete wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Jurassic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm ...when you see that the "Leader of the free world" has built a wall across the south of the US...
US immigration policy defeated by a piece of tape :roll: . He clearly didn't think it through :lol: .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dkG7koiNiq4
Wow, thanks for sharing that Pete it was fantastic! :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... outh-coast

Video available here its looks to me like its crowded with folk largely trying to remain in bubbles

Would i go there no - dont like crowds or beaches but I am not 100% sure its illegal/unlawful I am 100% sure its unwise to be there
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

To me, lockdown has ended. If we can go on holiday next week, go to the pub, queue up outside our favourite clothes shop etc etc what’s the point anymore
Chew

Post by Chew »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:55 pm To me, lockdown has ended. If we can go on holiday next week, go to the pub, queue up outside our favourite clothes shop etc etc what’s the point anymore
The reality is this virus isn’t going to go away anytime in the next 12 months (paraphrasing Chris Whitty)
There’s a certain amount of just having to get on with it now.

I’m not saying that going to the beach with thousands of other people is wise, but I don’t think locking yourself away at home Indefinitely is sustainable.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Agreed but there is quite a lot of room between those two extremes

Its the end of lockdown til lthe inevitable second spike
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Chew wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:10 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:55 pm To me, lockdown has ended. If we can go on holiday next week, go to the pub, queue up outside our favourite clothes shop etc etc what’s the point anymore
The reality is this virus isn’t going to go away anytime in the next 12 months (paraphrasing Chris Whitty)
There’s a certain amount of just having to get on with it now.

I’m not saying that going to the beach with thousands of other people is wise, but I don’t think locking yourself away at home Indefinitely is sustainable.
That’s a better way of putting it.

I’ve been to the beach but waited until the evening time when it was quiet, same with my ice cream on the Wirral, went in the evening when the crowds have gone.

I’ve turned away from my local forest after seeing the parking and gone somewhere quieter.

All about being sensible now :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:12 pmIts the end of lockdown til lthe inevitable second spike
Lockdown or no lockdown, there’s a lot to be said for taking responsibility for your own safety. There’s a lot of
“ They should be doing more to keep people safe” around,
but that’s dodging our own responsibilities. We’ve become so dependent on the “THEY” that should do something, it’s become the first line of defence for many.

If you’re feeling unsafe wherever, then go somewhere else/do something different.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Just leave you could use that argument for not cycing on roads - too dangerous for you just dont go on them- take persona lresponsibility for your safety . Its ture and it works but its not the best solution available

think it a balance required between the two and personal responsibility is important.I am not sure its actually either or.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:49 pm Think it a balance required between the two and personal responsibility is important. I am not sure its actually either or.
^This! But the news media seem to be more “they” than “you”

I’m sure the scenes on hot-spot beaches are the exception rather the rule (media hype), but I wonder how many of those parents will be saying it’s not safe to send their kids back to school
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:23 pm If you’re feeling unsafe wherever, then go somewhere else/do something different.
That's fine, but I still need to go to the supermarket (to do my 83 year old mum's shopping) and to work (to help keep water coming out of the taps) and in these locations I will inevitably come into contact with the muppets from the beach etc.

If by their reckless actions the prevalence of the virus has increased in the population then my chances of catching it have also been increased.

I was on the ferry (for work) in the week and on the return journey back to the Island looking at the other cars I would say 90% of the people were coming over for social reasons/holidays, unless they take their small children and suitcases to work? There is now zero enforcement of the rules, we're back on the 'herd immunity' plan by stealth.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That number of people on the beach is horrible at the best of times. It's amazing that this many people have went out of their way to go to the beach at the same time.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just seen a video of a beach on the Island taken this morning. Its strewn with empty bottles/beer cans/disposable bbq etc etc so I can only imagine there were similar numbers there :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It really does grate when you're at home (remember we're still under a 5 mile lock down here) twiddling your thumbs and trying to do the right thing. Bob's neighbour was obviously correct in his observations but sadly we live in a society where many feel entitled to do whatever and behave in whatever way they like. Really doesn't make you proud does it? :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:50 am I've just seen a video of a beach on the Island taken this morning. Its strewn with empty bottles/beer cans/disposable bbq etc etc so I can only imagine there were similar numbers there :sad:
The news this AM reported that they removed 25 tonnes(!) of rubbish. Obviously it's miracle packaging that weighs more and takes up more volume than when it's attached to the products it was protecting. :roll: So there's no way they could get it back in the carrier bags they brought it in. So might as well leave the carrier bags as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 pm sadly we live in a society where many feel entitled to do whatever and behave in whatever way they like. :roll:
This is exactly right. I really hoped that this whole Corona virus crisis would have modified people's sense of entitlement and made them more willing to take responsibility for their own actions but it hasn't worked. I wonder if the lockdown had lasted longer whether it would have made more of a difference? Of course the economic fall out is going to make some people think more about what they're doing but overall my faith in human nature has probably been reduced rather than increased by the selfishness of people.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Lack of faith is justified guys n gals.
As humans ,we learn nothing!
Some of us have a consience, the rest are just selfish scum.
Am not surprised about the mega- tons of beach litter in one day.
My regular cycling routes on and off road have changed from a clean ,litter free pleasure, to almost overnight littered with,bags,fast food wrapping,plastic and card cups etc.
This is towns,main,country roads,and even more annoying, bridleways and footpaths. 🤬
Insanity over vanity
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Tbh I'm dreading the day when Wales opens up again. Its been great to see everywhere so quiet (not from a business point of view mind). The hills and car parks will be full of people enjoying them but again it'll be the minority that ruin it for everyone else.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm similarly depressed about what how a lot of people have reacted to this situation shows us about the future, people, society in general. And the amount of litter is, as usual, in equal parts depressing and incomprehensible (I don't think it's actually got any worse, proportionally, I think there's just more people, and hence more idiots, going to the beach, etc.).

But one thing I will say, slightly to the contrary, is that this was inevitable given the situation - good weather, easing of restrictions (opening of cafes for takeaway, etc.) and no restrictions on travel - and blaming "the public" for this is a bit rich. Clearly if everyone goes to the beach, you can't maintain social distancing, but everyone is allowed to go the beach. What are people supposed to do without any sort of restrictions to control the numbers? How many people are going to think "I want to go to the beach, but so does everyone else, so I'll let someone else have a turn and go next week"? Maybe everyone should pick a partner to alternate days with? :lol: It doesn't excuse any of the d******d behaviour, but as usual, that's probably a minority.

I should say personally I wouldn't have gone to the beach on the south coast, but then I'll go to quite extreme lengths to avoid any sort of crowd or queue (plus I'm fortunate enough to live somewhere where a dozen people on a 3 mile beach is considered busy :grin: ).

It reminds me of the beginning of the lockdown period when the public were told that one of the few reasons they could leave the house was to go to the park for some exercise, and the populist press printed judgemental articles with tightly cropped photos of "busy" parks, and the government took a break from ignoring the experiences of more advanced countries to condemn the lot of us for our selfishness. Sorry, my political bias is showing... :roll:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 am If by their reckless actions the prevalence of the virus has increased in the population then my chances of catching it have also been increased.
tbf Sean we've heard warnings of doom after every hot bank holiday weekend/busy beach/VE day/congregation in a park/BLM protest etc etc and there hasn't once been a shred of evidence of a related increase in case numbers.

I'm satisfied by this point that, given what we know about the overall low risk of outdoor transmission and the low level of community prevalence, we can say the risk of catching the virus outdoors is now practically zero.
we're back on the 'herd immunity' plan by stealth.
Oh come on now :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The rolling 7 day average deaths rate in England is currently flat/rising.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

there hasn't once been a shred of evidence of a related increase in case numbers.
I am not sure they did a peer review test of everyone attending and then tested them afterwards to reach this conclusion - the fact we have done no research is no reason to conclude its safe. Basically you are 100% assured to find no evidence if you dont do any research. The only conclusion you can reach is if you dont do research you dont have evidence, anything else is a guess.

As for outside you do realise the spikes that occured around football matches in Liverpool and abroad and the Goodwood festival so i don think this is a safe conclusion either [though of course this was pre social distancing]
we can say the risk of catching the virus outdoors is now practically zero.
You can say anything but you cannot prove this and i would argue the evidence disagrees with you - why no open air festivals? Concerts? Football crowds? etc
Unfortunately too many believe this so the infection rate is not going to go down.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:54 am The rolling 7 day average deaths rate in England is currently flat/rising.
It's currently flat but when stats get to low numbers you expect some noise around some of the metrics. The actual number of deaths continues to fall:

(from CEBM)

Regardless, deaths isn't the correct metric to assess the current state of the virus as a large proportion of the people dying now are long-term intubated and would have contracted the virus six, seven or more weeks ago (current record for a covid sufferer is 65 days intubated btw)

The correct metrics for contemprary evaluation of case numbers are 111 triage calls and hospital admissions. They've been falling at around 25% week on week for the last few weeks. It will take a while for those reductions to wash through into the death numbers though.