When?????

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ballibeg

When?????

Post by ballibeg »

I'm just desperate to get away from it all. Work's been really hard and I need some time away skulking overnight in the wilds. If I break the rules/guidelines/law it'll have implications at work if folk want to make it hard for me.

Is it really 6th July-ish before I can spend a night away from home camping in Scotland?

Anyone reading it differently?

Look after your mental health they tell us, then ban the very activities that help. Grrrr
Bearbonesnorm

Re: When?????

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If no one knows, then did it really happen?
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

If you think you’ll get implications from an overnight, have you thought of a dawn till dusk ride to give that feeling of seeing the sun rise and fall. May be a good alternative for the soul?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Check out the BAM thread
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Met a chap on the weekend before last going out for a bivi. 200k across Wiltshire, didn't see a problem with that if you're discreet - just like a very long ride!

I haven't myself though
RIP

Post by RIP »

Breakaway thread for those more desperate for action than those gently musing about it in the "If We Close Up For A Bit" thread :grin: .

I'm mid-way between the two threads :wink: . Probably a "Five Go Mad In Dorset" outing is too much yet, but how about a late evening departure via routes where you won't see anybody to a Spot a few miles away? Arrive late, bivvy, get up at sparrow's fart, set off next day on a ride as long as you like ("unlimited exercise"). Stick to non-technical stuff and well within your limits to make sure you don't come a cropper.

Next month you could extend a bit further.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:50 pm Breakaway thread for those more desperate for action than those gently musing about it in the "If We Close Up For A Bit" thread :grin: .

I'm mid-way between the two threads :wink: . Probably a "Five Go Mad In Dorset" outing is too much yet, but how about a late evening departure via routes where you won't see anybody to a Spot a few miles away? Arrive late, bivvy, get up at sparrow's fart, set off next day on a ride as long as you like ("unlimited exercise"). Stick to non-technical stuff and well within your limits to make sure you don't come a cropper.

Next month you could extend a bit further.
Bravo.... Well said... and... and... just don't talk about it to anyone - mums the word :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

If my post was made out of rice paper I'd eat it.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

How did you come up with 6th July?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

restlessshawn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm How did you come up with 6th July?
ScotGov reviews are 3-weekly. We are in Phase 1 as of Friday 29th May. I guess Phase 4 would be around 10th July, assuming no change to infection rates etc.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I would also like to enourage you to break the law, risk your job and do this in secret as well so that you get away with [ but also thereby showing you know its actually wrong/ not allowed]
Anything less would be socially irresponsible by both me and you

I think you want permission - most have given it. I am not bivvying because i believe the world would be a better place if there were a lot fewer Dominic Cummmings types in the world and a lot more responsible ones
We are all missing it mate, all of us.
Its your call what you do but advertising it on a publicly available website , I guess we dont attract much social media attention, is at least as unwise as doing it,
YMMV as indeed do many other forumites
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would also like to enourage you to break the law
I'm confused as normal - have we actually decided now that 'it' is 'law'? Genuine question.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Does it have to involve sleeping outdoors at night?
Why not just ride through the night then when daylight comes nobody thinks twice about someone having a snooze outdoors.
Plod/fun police only seem to think camping takes place at night. Lying on the ground during daylight hours is something different.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 pm
I would also like to enourage you to break the law
I'm confused as normal - have we actually decided now that 'it' is 'law'? Genuine question.
Might be specific to which country you are in.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Might be specific to which country you are in.
Maybe? Dunno? But if it is law they really need to start doing people because an unenforceable law is no law at all and is worse than none at all.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

have we actually decided now that 'it' is 'law'? Genuine question.
Well it was never technically legal to wild camp in, most of, non scotland, but i think its unlawful rather than illegal - ie you dont have the landowners permission rather than the act itself is illegal IAMNAL
No over nights remains the law re camping and i think it falls under that "law" currently,
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No over nights remains the law re camping and i think it falls under that "law" currently,
So it is actually a law and not just guidance Jon? I don't know, I'm asking.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 pm
have we actually decided now that 'it' is 'law'? Genuine question.
Well it was never technically legal to wild camp in, most of, non scotland, but i think its unlawful rather than illegal - ie you dont have the landowners permission rather than the act itself is illegal IAMNAL
Wild camping is legal in Scotland and is included in the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003.

Camping/caravanning/motorhoming is not currently included in any Covid-19 legislation in Scotland, though Nicola Sturgeon suggested today that it might have to be - as might a legal restriction on the distance you are allowed to travel. Guidance is that travel should be limited to "broadly 5 miles from home". Of course, some of the scenes that have caused to to think this are actually covered in existing legislation - both LR(S)A and the various Road Traffic Acts. It just appears that Police Scotland have been unwilling to enforce those.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Don’t often find myself siding with Lazarus but in this I do.
No one in any part of the uk should be staying away from home for leisure purposes at the moment.
Therefore anyone who wants to go bivi but thinks they might get in trouble at work if they do didn’t aught to be talking about it openly online.
(even on a forum for aging ditch sleepers)
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ballibeg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:02 pm I'm just desperate to get away from it all. Work's been really hard and I need some time away skulking overnight in the wilds. If I break the rules/guidelines/law it'll have implications at work if folk want to make it hard for me.

Is it really 6th July-ish before I can spend a night away from home camping in Scotland?

Anyone reading it differently?

Look after your mental health they tell us, then ban the very activities that help. Grrrr
I dont particularly know, though it sounds like you probably know the answer and were just looking for a chat about it.

Hope you find something to do that's a sufficient relief / release. All night ride sounds like an interesting alternative and one where stopping for an hour or two to brew up and oggle the stars might be almost as therapeutic, IMO.

HYOH, as they say 😎
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Hmm ok just read today’s briefing and specifically mentions camping
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit more light reading for the afflicted :smile: . Eg first few paras. Also looks like KT is doing their photography for them - I'm sure I recognise that first photo :smile: . I don't specifically read that 'paper and it's often pay-only anyway but that article seems open.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n ... ites-reo/

ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:04 pm All night ride sounds like an interesting alternative and one where stopping for an hour or two to brew up and oggle the stars might be almost as therapeutic, IMO.

HYOH, as they say 😎
That's a great idea. There's a good moon just now and I've never ridden by moon light. I know just the spot to aim for.

Thanks
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Wild camping is legal in Scotland
Wow I never knew perhaps you ought to remind us more often - what are the genral access laws like there - much freedom - If only you mentioned this :wink:
What can we say we are better than the uncivilised brutes north of the border

So it is actually a law and not just guidance Jon? I don't know, I'm asking.
I very much doubt it matters you will be sent home and /or fined and /or fined and arrested if you refuse

As to is it a law or guidance who knows
2 m social distancing is guidance and unenforcable
6 people is the maximm in your garden but they have no rights to enter your property to check this
etc
Either way its pretty clear they dont want us to do it - what sanctions you will face if you do this will depend entirely on whether you are royal, a high ranking tory or a ditch dwelling tramp.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 17371.html

this argues yur tent would be your second home- might be a stretch that one -but I think we can all be 100% certain if caught you will be moved on and likely fined.
Scotland has different rules - Wales may as well for all i know [ no offence to the Welsh meant]
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 am
Wild camping is legal in Scotland
Wow I never knew perhaps you ought to remind us more often - what are the genral access laws like there - much freedom - If only you mentioned this :wink:
Bollocks. I missed the "non" in "non-Scotland :lol:

I thought the OP was based in Scotland, hence outlining what the current position is up here.