Packing up a tent with your bag and mat

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Packing up a tent with your bag and mat

Post by firestarter »

Ey up what with the lockdown madness setting in ive been playing around with my bits and Bobs, I have a luxe mini peak and single nest that I love and will slip easily into my bar bag (its an old sweetroll from the lovely nick of this parish) I have a tyvek ground sheet so the inner will always be dry
I'm just wondering as I think it will fit is there any reason not to leave my mat and down bag in the inner nest when I roll it up to pack and
It will be kept from the potentially wet fly I'd think as I can roll up the inner then sit that in the outer and roll that up, but in the same dry bag if that makes sense
Its just I think if rolled together I could get the lot in a roll that would fit in the one bag and that would be ideal
Hope my ramblings make some sense to others and not just me :)
ScotRoutes

Re: Packing up a tent with your bag and mat

Post by ScotRoutes »

Waterproof fabric only works to a certain pressure. If you wrap up your bag in a wet outer you could well force moisture through into the bag.

I'd not do it. Wet and dry is packed separately, using a separate drybag where appropriate.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Yeah that was a worry, I'd thought of wrapping the inner up with the tyvek first then the outer but like you say it could force moisture through, back to the drawing board, I had it all figured then lol full sleep system in one bag, doh....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not really sure (but could be missing it) that I can see any real benefit. Will it not take up more room or at least be harder to find the room required, than if you packed things individually?
May the bridges you burn light your way
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

No I have a sweet roll and if I roll the full tent, bag and mat it will squash in the double end bag but if I pack the tent in it the bag is a bigger diameter than the tent so it has space around it but it's kind of unusable space if you get me, I might try shoving bits in one by one but I'll still have the wet / dry issue, i might just keep tent and cook kit in it, i was just thinking one bag to cover all sleeping kit would have been nice
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

i was just thinking one bag to cover all sleeping kit would have been nice
I generally tend to think in terms of wet and dry when packing. Obviously sleeping kit must remain dry at all costs, so quilt, mat, jacket, socks, pillow, etc all live in one bag that needn't be opened at all during the day and not until my shelter is erected once I stop. Shelter whether a tarp, bivvy bag or even a tent live somewhere else as I can't guarantee keeping them dry.

I tend to pack sleeping kit up front and shelter out back but that's just me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Makes sense , especially to my ex army mentality, I was just trying to work out how the hell to pack in bikepacking bags, panniers were always easy but this is gonna be more of a challenge, I like my creature comforts now in getting in in year lol
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This thread might be appropriate

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12421

Although it, did go off-topic quickly! :grin:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

:lol: