So: why are racks & panners out of fashion?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: So: why are racks & panners out of fashion?

Post by jameso »

Richpips wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm
Ease of access influences it I expect, bikepacking gear usually isn't fast/easy access as it's designed more for low weight and moving fast where you stop less. There's certainly times when I prefer a bag that's easier to get stuff in and out of and how I pack can even influence how I travel. eg I like bar bags where I can grab a camera, wallet or a book easily.
Yep, I've just bought a Carradice bar bag and saddlebag that are easy to get things in and out of. I can take the extra weight of the bags over the time spent trying to cram stuff into and extricate stuff from bikepacking bags.
... when heavier kit can become faster overall, whether you're bothered by average speed or not.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:15 pm
I think there's an element of user understanding in all this too. There's a number of people over-packing lightweight bikepacking bags and in the end, as you say, simply having more weight high up that can have a detrimental effect on handling imo. There's also some who use panniers yet carry little gear and could use bikepacking gear equally well.
Very true James and I think some manufacturers have been guilty of fueling that to a degree. I'm sure some people see pictures of what I might consider to be a 'bikepacking bike' yet don't fully appreciate or understand that packing in such a way requires something different ftom the user.
Excellent responses here. It’s about really thinking hard about where you are going, for how long and the resources available. Myself and my wife rode the length of the Americas with a pannier and bike packing style mix and it worked perfectly. We met loads of Bearded heroes with the most overloaded bikepacking bags and ludicrous handlebar guff that it was obvious they were not thinking about the whole reason for their choices. It’s basically whatever works. I use panniers for loads of routes if I think it’s required but there is always the temptation to take too much crap.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Stu's "it's a mindset" is closest for me. Reduce weight, easier on singletrack, slimline, access, fashion etc, yes yes all true.

But no, for me it's none of the 'physical' things - it's the mind control. I found as soon as I swapped to 'bikepacking luggage', after being lucky enough to come across This Place like you have, as a corollary I immediately started the quest for less stuff. Ask H.O.T.T. - he converted too. And less stuff is good in itself but more importantly it means less distraction. Sadly and hypocritically I still take the phone but that's mainly for photos to bore my fellow sufferers Here. It's normally off though.

Less distraction from gear and gizmos means more brain space for the crazy stuff that happens around you and to you on the journey. ie. The Experience. Arg, you knew that was coming! :lol: . But it's true. IMHO.

You might say a three month transworld trip needs more than BP luggage can carry, but it's been done.

Read "It's A Free Country" if you think you need to take any luggage at all or stuff to have a great time. Or even a bike to start with....

(And no I've never had a problem with 'weight distribution' - my 63kg 'up high' chucked all over the place must logically make far more difference than a couple of kg of luggage wherever it's located, and although my 'up high' gear horrifies all the professionals it causes me nae bother at all despite me reputedly being somewhat, um, cavalier on the technical stuff).
Last edited by RIP on Fri May 29, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 15 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had this great idea for a rack that would convert into a H-frame rucksack and could have panniers strapped to it one above the other.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:22 pm I had this great idea for a rack that would convert into a H-frame rucksack and could have panniers strapped to it one above the other.
Sweet.
Leather soled hobb-nail SPD’s to finish off the outfit too?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Don't judge me now... But I use panniers for what most people would call bike packing. I have ridden all over Scotland and Wales with them including An Turas Mor, Tran Cambrian (numerous times), Pennine Bridleway, South Downs, Caingorms Loop, etc, etc.

I like panniers because:

-They are easy to pack, very waterproof and easy to get off the bike.
-I hate a big handlebar load tbh, or any handlebar load because it blocks my view and makes lifting the front wheel harder.
-I don't like a long sticky out and wobbly seat pack.
-I'm a big lump of a bloke and don't worry about weight too much (within reason).

I use the panniers on a rack on my Pugsley. The rack sits quite high due to the position of lower eyelets so the panniers are above most obstructions that my feet avoid. I use small ortlieb or Vaude panniers together with a frame bag and nothing on the handlebars except two Stem Cells.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Interesting replies.
Imagine there would be a different perspective on a touring forum. :lol:
For myself, mostly I see no need to use anything other than bikepacking bags; can get everything I need for three — spring to autumn — weeks in standard bikepacking bags.
The caveat here is that I am able to find food every other day, water most days, and electricity every week (though could stretch this out if needed).
Now, when I went round the outer Hebrides for a week I knew there would be no shops — so carried all food for a week — likely little available fresh water — so carried a water purifier — and would be damn windy — so had a four season tent. In this case I replaced the saddle bag with two ortlieb “gravel” pannier — yes, there is such a thing.
I’m hoping to go to Mongolia for three weeks with friends, this will be 100% unsupported, so likely panniers (of some type) and a rucksack; all food, spares, and multi fuel stove etc. Should be epic.
So, my overriding point, bags are merely a means to carry gear on a bike, and I’m sure we’re all sufficiently none snobbish to use what works.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Agreed and i do have some and use them
Almost exclusively for family trips where i am the pack horse but always gentle of road/ crap road trips rather than moutain paths.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

I can't believe how fantastic the response has been; thanks folks.

Everyone has clearly put a lot of thought into the setup they prefer. It's also apparent that bikepacking means different things to different people.

The conclusion I've drawn from reading everyones replies is that there is no 'right' answer. The kit you choose to use will depend on the terrain you will be crossing, the climate, the length of your trip and how weight conscious you choose to be.

Again: thanks everyone, I think I'm going to like it here.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Cost
Weight
Comfort

Pick any two
:lol:
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

The food thing. I forgot the food thing. I like carrying enough food for 5 days or so. It means that I can relax and not go looking for shops.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hell no. Stopping for food en route is one of the reasons I go bikepacking/touring.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Absolutely understand and respect Hamish's POV - one type of self-sufficiency. But being a tramp I concur with Colin; I get huge pleasure coming across random shops/caffs/boozers and even people's home hospitality as I wander.

Obviously this mode of operation doesn't work all that well in the remote Highlands (or does it?!), or in the Gobi desert. Hang on though, I retract the latter point - the Cranes did just that and didn't starve :smile: .

So maybe it's back to mindset again - minimum luggage and stuff forces you to wing it more. Whether you find that relaxing or not depends on your character I suppose!

"Vive les differences", to mangle a phrase.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster