Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Post Reply
User avatar
Piemonster
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:00 pm
Location: The Fife Riviera

Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by Piemonster » Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Any top tips?

It all looks simple enough. I’ve just tried the hardtail onto the Caribou. The pedals are a concern, the inboard on would be removed at the very least as it’s in the footwell the way I’ve loaded the bike.

Scotroutes has already suggested a barrier between bike and dinghy.

User avatar
JohnClimber
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by JohnClimber » Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Funny you should say that.
I made this film of how to stick a bike on to a Caribou this time last week.

https://youtu.be/yjv6fftjiSs

I've never needed a barrier and it's been ok with SPD's and spiked peddles (fit your glove over it)

Any questions please drop me a message, I'm happy to help.

User avatar
Piemonster
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:00 pm
Location: The Fife Riviera

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by Piemonster » Thu May 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Cheers John, for both the link and the offer. I’ll go take a watch.

Pedal, as much as anything. Is in the footwell and quite annoying.

User avatar
Jurassic
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 am
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by Jurassic » Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 pm

I've done it too with no problems. I left the pedals on and just made sure they weren't going to contact the fabric of the raft (they were flat pedals with fierce pins so I was careful). I did find that the bike compromised my paddling action a little bit (and my raft is quite big, an Alpacka Explorer42) but not to the extent that it was a problem and I think it could be improved with a bit of practice.
I can hardly believe that this was five years ago and how big my gut was back then!!! :oops: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ZDzIY3I_g

User avatar
JohnClimber
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by JohnClimber » Sat May 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Piemonster wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Cheers John, for both the link and the offer. I’ll go take a watch.

Pedal, as much as anything. Is in the footwell and quite annoying.
I've never had a problem with it, but if you want to remove it make sure that your pedal is easy to remove before you leave home, then just allen key it off

thenorthwind
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by thenorthwind » Sun May 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Most people seem to strap the frame on first (on the bottom) but I've always preferred to use the wheels to sandwich the frame. The tyre underneath sits nice against the tubes without any danger of damaging them (not that I've heard of that happening with a frame) and grips well so it doesn't shift around. It also raises the frame up a bit so any pointy bits are further away. I use flats with spiky pins too, and with this setup you can carefully position the pedals between the spokes.

Some pics:

Image

Pedal position a bit clearer in this one - note the downward pedal is well away from the tube thanks to the tyre underneath:

Image

Fairly poor photo showing my gravel bike on my new raft this winter, but same principle:

Image

User avatar
99percentchimp
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: North Wales!

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by 99percentchimp » Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Not been too bike raft curious to date as it's seemed like a right faff but your video is a good illustration John - thanks. You make a strong case for ski straps too :-bd

Northwind - like the idea of sandwiching the frame with the wheels - all my rafts are decked so I think the non-drive side/boat side pedal will have to come off each time too.

Will need a garden dry run like yours John to check for paddle stroke etc. and look at entrapment issues too.

Thanks all.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/

thenorthwind
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by thenorthwind » Sun May 31, 2020 7:49 pm

99percentchimp wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm
Not been too bike raft curious to date as it's seemed like a right faff but your video is a good illustration John - thanks. You make a strong case for ski straps too :-bd
I have a couple of ski straps as you can see, but I actually prefer the simple buckled webbing straps that come with Alpkit's luggage (just happen to be the ones I have - they're pretty generic). Partly because I'm often already using them to strap the raft or other kit to the bike, and I use one to roll the raft up, but they're easy to tension, long (granted longer ski straps are available) and lighter.

Like these (they've changed the style slightly, but they're functionally the same) - cheaper generic versions are no doubt available, or MYO: https://alpkit.com/products/dual-straps-grey

User avatar
JohnClimber
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by JohnClimber » Sun May 31, 2020 9:10 pm

99percentchimp wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm
Not been too bike raft curious to date as it's seemed like a right faff but your video is a good illustration John - thanks. You make a strong case for ski straps too :-bd

Northwind - like the idea of sandwiching the frame with the wheels - all my rafts are decked so I think the non-drive side/boat side pedal will have to come off each time too.

Will need a garden dry run like yours John to check for paddle stroke etc. and look at entrapment issues too.

Thanks all.
It is a faff, this morning (I think I have to sorted now) too me 15 mins (rechargeable Kokopeli pump, not bag) from stopping to paddling and around the same time, (maybe a bit less) paddling to peddling.
If I rushed I could have knocked a couple of minutes off the time but rushing could easily add time too

Image

Image
This photo shows the pedal in place and the lack of entrapment chances on my Caribou when loaded like this. Alpacka's recommended way.

Image

Image

I rode the section from take out to put in, in just 10 mins, it took me around 90 mins from riding my bike back to riding my bike again, but I wasn't counting you loose track of time on the water.
You have to like faffing, if you don't enjoy a good faff and you want to break lots of Strava records pack rafting may not be for some people,

User avatar
99percentchimp
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: North Wales!

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by 99percentchimp » Sun May 31, 2020 9:53 pm

thenorthwind wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:49 pm
99percentchimp wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm
Not been too bike raft curious to date as it's seemed like a right faff but your video is a good illustration John - thanks. You make a strong case for ski straps too :-bd
I have a couple of ski straps as you can see, but I actually prefer the simple buckled webbing straps that come with Alpkit's luggage (just happen to be the ones I have - they're pretty generic). Partly because I'm often already using them to strap the raft or other kit to the bike, and I use one to roll the raft up, but they're easy to tension, long (granted longer ski straps are available) and lighter.

Like these (they've changed the style slightly, but they're functionally the same) - cheaper generic versions are no doubt available, or MYO: https://alpkit.com/products/dual-straps-grey
Cheers - I'll have look at those - might have a route in mind in Wales too.... but not yet :cry:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/

User avatar
Jurassic
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 am
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by Jurassic » Sun May 31, 2020 11:58 pm

I think this thread has inspired me to do a bike raft this coming week. I have four days off and the forecast looks semi decent. I'm thinking ride from home to near Luss (on Loch Lomond) on the gravel bike, transition to dinjy and paddle via the islands across the loch to Balmaha then cycle home again via Balloch. I'll have to take the mudguards off the bike to make it easier to raftify though. Hmm.

Alec
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 am

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by Alec » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:06 am

I tie my fat bike on with two home made straps, i just got some webbing and g hooks. I just secure the wheels with that tail of the strap, but i have just got some of the voile straps to try, mainly for securing the raft to the bike as i have a fairly large raft when rolled up.
I just make sure the pedal is out of the way inside the raft but i do have lots of space as i have a two person raft so my feet are only just reaching the edge of the frame and about 30cm off the end of the raft.

User avatar
Jurassic
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 am
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by Jurassic » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:42 pm

Jurassic wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:58 pm
I think this thread has inspired me to do a bike raft this coming week. I have four days off and the forecast looks semi decent. I'm thinking ride from home to near Luss (on Loch Lomond) on the gravel bike, transition to dinjy and paddle via the islands across the loch to Balmaha then cycle home again via Balloch. I'll have to take the mudguards off the bike to make it easier to raftify though. Hmm.
As a result of the mad crowds of people who have descended on the two villages mentioned above I've decided to shelve this plan. Although I wouldn't be going against the guidance issued (unlike the throngs who've been descending on Luss and Balmaha in their cars, parking in the streets and annoying the locals) I feel I'd become part of the problem if I rocked up with my bike and packraft. I'll wait until things calm down a bit and stick to riding in less frequented places in the meantime.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... s-22113981

User avatar
Piemonster
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:00 pm
Location: The Fife Riviera

Re: Strapping a bicycle to an expensive rubber dinghy

Post by Piemonster » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:31 am

Oh, I’ll give the sandwich method a go. Thanks for the ideas and advice.

Post Reply