Tubeless Q.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Tubeless Q.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are the effects / benefits in terms of grip, comfort, ride quality less noticable on a small diameter tyre?

I've discovered my barrow has a puncture, do I just repair the tube or go tubeless while I've got it apart? Will going tubeless afford greater grip when pushing it up a plank when full of gravel?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: Tubeless Q.

Post by RIP »

Likewise when pushing it up some gravel full of planks?

#gravelbarrow
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:21 am
#gravelbarrow
I reckon that's the name of the next Salsa.
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

I tried to turn my daughters bike tubeless yesterday (lock down boredom /weight saving/puncture resistance) but the wheels are schrader valves (same as a barrow).

Normal tubeless presta valves wouldn't fill the rim hole so I chopped out the valve an old inner schrader tube, all good seating the tyre but when I went to pump up with the normal pump the valve pushed in - any ideas how to lock into place without a lock ring or can you buy schrader valve stems with lock rings? thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Normal tubeless presta valves wouldn't fill the rim hole so I chopped out the valve an old inner schrader tube, all good seating the tyre but when I went to pump up with the normal pump the valve pushed in - any ideas how to lock into place without a lock ring or can you buy schrader valve stems with lock rings? thanks
You can buy tubeless versions. You can also do as you've done but fix the valve in place with silicone sealer and put your tape over the top.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

jaminb wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 am I tried to turn my daughters bike tubeless yesterday (lock down boredom /weight saving/puncture resistance) but the wheels are schrader valves (same as a barrow).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5DM0TK? ... th=1&psc=1
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Leave a big bit of inner tube around the valve - big enough that the bead of the tyre prevents it from moving?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:08 am Are the effects / benefits in terms of grip, comfort, ride quality less noticable on a small diameter tyre?

I've discovered my barrow has a puncture, do I just repair the tube or go tubeless while I've got it apart? Will going tubeless afford greater grip when pushing it up a plank when full of gravel?
Stu. I've been running tubeless on my road bike as far back as when they only actually had one (or 2 if you count Hutchinson) tubeless compatible tyre and hardly any hardware specific to road setups (not sure what such hardware would be but I did make a few adaptations mainly due to the higher pressures used).

I'd say, yes, you defo feel the extra benefit and even more so with you fat tyres (in comparison to road tyres). I went from 80ish psi to 60ish and there's a marked increased in comfort etc etc
psling

Post by psling »

Whichever way you go Stu, just make sure the tyre is perfectly round. You may spend ages trying to work out why stoves aren't working quite right after you've transported them in a wheelbarrow with a wonky wheel :wink: :grin:

[gleaned from a tale you told once upon a time]
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

thanks all - will try sticks like shxt before resorting to buying new valves
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

will try sticks like shxt before resorting to buying new valves
No - you want silicone. SLS doesn't have enough flex once dry.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Stu you are barking up the wrong tree, solid is the answer! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PU-Black-14- ... SwnMRdCy0E
Turned my barry into a race killer!
faustus

Post by faustus »

Think it'll only feel faster if it's a tan wall barrow tyre. That's what all the #barrow@nkers have...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've decided to go with a tube repair for now but with a view to a carbon rim upgrade later.
composite

Post by composite »

#barrowwanker
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

noted thanks Stu
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm I've decided to go with a tube repair for now but with a view to a carbon rim upgrade later.

What psi for gravel??? :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Do you change tyres for dry conditions?
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm I've decided to go with a tube repair for now but with a view to a carbon rim upgrade later.
Have you got clearance for a bigger diameter wheel; it'll roll so much better and make the plank come alive. Maybe modify the 'barrow to take a boost axle while you're at it :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

To honest stu you really should just go full custom. Upgrading the wheels on a standard frame? You can’t make silk purse out of a pig’s ear, I’d use your contacts and get spondon to knock you up something fitting, perhaps a full trellis frame in polished aluminium and then you’ll see the benefits of your wheels upgrades.

P.S Didn’t Spondon make Steve Burns a wheelchair back in the day?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark