anyone suffer from Hotfoot ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

anyone suffer from Hotfoot ?

Post by ton »

been doing a bit more mileage than usual, and am now suffering from hotfoot on any ride using spd's.
no matter hot short or long the ride is, within half hour my feet start to burn and hurt on the sole below my roes in the middle.
yet i have been doing up to 50 mile offroad using flats with no problems.

any ideas apart from ditching spd's.
any ideas what causes this
Lazarus

Re: anyone suffer from Hotfoot ?

Post by Lazarus »

most seem to think the SPD causes this

only ever notice it when bimbling on flatish bits - at all other times either the pain of climbing or the thrill /fear of descending means i dont notice[ or it only hurts on the flat which seems unlikely]

personally i just unclip and ride for a bit with my foot further back - I only get it in hot weather - or what passes for it here
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A function of cycling specific shoes being generally too narrow? If your feet are getting squashed they will get pretty sore pretty quick. I always struggle to find cycling shoes that are a decent width
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

interesting point i always do the boa laces up super tight and then tighten on the ride - shall experiment with that
robbie

Post by robbie »

htrider wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 pm A function of cycling specific shoes being generally too narrow? If your feet are getting squashed they will get pretty sore pretty quick. I always struggle to find cycling shoes that are a decent width
Could be exactly this. I had issues recently only with left foot and tried moving cleats seating position etc. I was going to buy some new shoes but then tried loosening the ratchet slightly and hey presto it started to disappear so now I run my shoes slightly looser and I'm now fine on 100+ miles
jobro

Post by jobro »

In some shoes I never get hotfoot, in some I do. The ones I do get it in were stiff soled disco slippers with thin or unsupportive insoles. I've cured this by replacing the insoles with Gore ones from some running shoes. Problem solved. Permenantly!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

My understanding was that your feet tend to swell as they warm up when you go riding. I always start with my shoes a bit loose to allow for this, and may further reduce the tension once riding.
ton

Post by ton »

re the narrow shoes, this is not my problem.
my shoes a northwave enduro mids, which are one of the widest fitting shoes available. they took me a year to source for this very reason.
also they are fitted with superfeet green insoles which i use in my Keen mtb flat pedal shoes.

could be time to try flats for all cycling now maybe.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There are SPDs with a bit more of a platform to spread the load across the sole of the foot. Crank Bros also have the Candy and Enduro models to do the same.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:59 pm There are SPDs with a bit more of a platform to spread the load across the sole of the foot. Crank Bros also have the Candy and Enduro models to do the same.
This has a lot to do with it for me.
Got terrible hotfoot with CB Eggbeaters and SPDR.
Never with Time Atak MX (large platform clipless) or Speedplay road pedals.
Also worse on the road than off road. Similar to Lazarus getting it on the flat. My guess is the unchanging body position with flat MTB or road riding.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

ton wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:55 pm re the narrow shoes, this is not my problem.
my shoes a northwave enduro mids, which are one of the widest fitting shoes available. they took me a year to source for this very reason.
also they are fitted with superfeet green insoles which i use in my Keen mtb flat pedal shoes.
If you need proper wide fit shoes in the future, then get yourself some Lake shoes. Proper wide fit options and some extra wide fit, if you were born with flippers. I have short fat feet and own both road and off-road Lake's, can't see myself buying another brand ever again.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dean

Post by Dean »

I have a very wide midfoot/toebox and have never found anything which is roomy around the front of the foot (I also suffer discomfort with SPDs). My biggest issue with this is that my heel are tiny/Achilles tendon is very prominent, my foot is shaped like a slice of pizza. Nothing regular fit is wide enough on the toes, and the wide Giros, Specialized, Northwaves, Shimano and Lake SPDs I have worn become flipflops when pushing up hills. Do any of the wise sages here have any suggestions?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Have you tried those heel grippers that ladies wear to keep their stilettos on...? I'm not sure if any are made for off-road use, but quite a few manufacturers do shoes with heat mouldable carbon tubs; pop them in your oven for a bit, then mould them round your foot. I tried a pair of the Lake CX 402 Wide for fit, last time I was looking for road shoes, I'd have bought them if they weren't so damn spendy...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Less tight certainly helpedbu still a bit - next stepis a foam insert and then back to platform SPD's and take the weight hit
Dean

Post by Dean »

K1100T wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:52 am Have you tried those heel grippers that ladies wear to keep their stilettos on...? I'm not sure if any are made for off-road use, but quite a few manufacturers do shoes with heat mouldable carbon tubs; pop them in your oven for a bit, then mould them round your foot. I tried a pair of the Lake CX 402 Wide for fit, last time I was looking for road shoes, I'd have bought them if they weren't so damn spendy...
I don't think that the grippers would help my heel in as I can get all my fingers inside the ankle when the double boas are fully tightened.

I had a pair of Lake MX237 which were not mouldable, I may look into their custom heels (I was not aware they did moulable heels). I couldn't even get my feet into the wide Bont mouldable shoes. I will need to check where I can try some more Lake on when everything clears up.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Dean wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:00 pm I don't think that the grippers would help my heel in as I can get all my fingers inside the ankle when the double boas are fully tightened.

I had a pair of Lake MX237 which were not mouldable, I may look into their custom heels (I was not aware they did moulable heels). I couldn't even get my feet into the wide Bont mouldable shoes. I will need to check where I can try some more Lake on when everything clears up.
The moudable Lake's would mostly appear to be the road shoes, rather than the MTB ones, but you never know. I love my MX 237 Endurance, but have the opposite issue, my Boa dials are barely done up... 🤷‍♂️ I had a similar issue with Bont as well, used their foot calculator thingie, it just said "contact us for custom shoes"... 🤨
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I can’t get this song out of my head since seeing this thread

https://youtu.be/w0N4twV28Mw
ton

Post by ton »

i am deffo not a lyrical dancer............... ;o)
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

:lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ton wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:55 pmmy shoes a northwave enduro mids, which are one of the widest fitting shoes available. they took me a year to source for this very reason.
Just ordered a pair to try, I have a feeling they will be going back however, after ordering I went in the lake website and tried measuring my feet. At the widest point, measured as lake show my feet are 130mm wide so a size 13 wide would be perfect apart from the fact I’m a size 9...which in wide are some 20mm too narrow according to their chart, I’m a freak with flippers for feet, you won’t be laughing when we have to walk across quick sand will ya?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Mate of mine when we rode the Alps had the same issues with hotfoot has since bought wider fitting shoes, but also reset your cleats back as far as you can, hope this helps you out
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Scud

Post by Scud »

Used to suffer from this and went to bike fitting and mentioned it, and fitter said that on longer rides, basically the muscles that support the arch of the foot tyre, so arch starts to drop if not fully supported and can cause pain.

I use the Specialized BG Footbeds, right one for height of arch and the supports you can place under toes, so they are shaped to arch and support it. Plus as above, make sure i use the SPD pedals with platform round so load is spread.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm
ton wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:55 pmmy shoes a northwave enduro mids, which are one of the widest fitting shoes available. they took me a year to source for this very reason.
Just ordered a pair to try, I have a feeling they will be going back however, after ordering I went in the lake website and tried measuring my feet. At the widest point, measured as lake show my feet are 130mm wide so a size 13 wide would be perfect apart from the fact I’m a size 9...which in wide are some 20mm too narrow according to their chart, I’m a freak with flippers for feet, you won’t be laughing when we have to walk across quick sand will ya?
Couldn’t even get my feet into the northwave Mids , Lake extra wide next....
I have just replaced me candy 11’s with a pair of mallet DH 11’s and I’m hoping the extra support will help.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

ton wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm been doing a bit more mileage than usual, and am now suffering from hotfoot on any ride using spd's.
no matter hot short or long the ride is, within half hour my feet start to burn and hurt on the sole below my roes in the middle.
yet i have been doing up to 50 mile offroad using flats with no problems.

any ideas apart from ditching spd's.
any ideas what causes this
One foot, or both?
Any changes in equipment?

If just one foot and no changes - describe the pain/sensation more. It might not be hotfoot or shoe/pedal related.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Sometimes, on longer rides, the two smallest ties on my right foot start to experience sharp pains.
I now try to have a sit down and take my shoes off, every few hours.

Not sure if this is the same as 'hotfoot' or even related, but maybe somebody can explain it.