Hydro brakes for drops

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Hydro brakes for drops

Post by lune ranger »

This has probably been done before, so apologies, but i’ve been working way too hard recently to make the effort to trawl the archives.
Please recommend me some hydro brakes for a drop bar mountain bike. I’ve finally come to the end of my relationship with cable stoppers on drop bars.
I need a brake only lever set up as i’m shifting with a Rohloff. IS/post mount compatible with big rotors.
Ta
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearlegged

Re: Hydro brakes for drops

Post by Bearlegged »

Off the top of my head, TRP Hylix are the only non-shifter ones I can think of.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

robbie

Post by robbie »

Landslide wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:39 pm Off the top of my head, TRP Hylix are the only non-shifter ones I can think of.
Yip trp hylix is probably the best way to go. I so happen to have a rear complete brake and lever if you can find a front at a decent price.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Have you ruled out cable-pulled hydro calipers OP? I've been using a pair of Juin Tech that I bought second-hand off here and they've been decent. Would let you keep your current levers.

Also just spotted [urlhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Huntfgold-Mountain-Hyd ... 4816544787]these[/url] that are cheap as chips.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

How about the Giant Conduct brakes?

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_cond ... g0QAvD_BwE

A friend of mine fitted them to his Defy road bike and really likes them.
The reservoir/pistons are in the stem mounted bit, so will work with your existing cable brake levers.

I think you may need to buy a giant connect stem, too, but they're still Bargaintastic
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks for the input everyone.
The Giant system looks great. I’ll have to see if I can get a compatible stem that meets my need - short and high. Then that may well be a goer.
Robbie i’ll PM you,
WSC
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

I have some Hope V Twins up for sale on ebay as we speak.

Similar idea to the Giant setup, but ...Hope. The 'V Twin" master cylinders attach via the steerer & sit under the stem. THe cables from the brakes enter via the two silver do-dads at the front.

They are fantastic brakes, I was running them on a Cotic Escapde with Campagnolo. I'm only selling them because I'm going to 1x11 on the Cotic & will switch to Sram hydraulic brakes in the process.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293591077208

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Nice. That’s what I really wanted, shame you had to go and tell everyone :wink:
WSC
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Sorry,

I've only just joined the forum.

If I'd have clocked your post before I put them on the bay, I'd have dropped you a nod. :grin:

The purpose of the post wasn't really ot try to sell my old stuff, more to make you aware of the existance of the V Twin.

One thing I would say about them though; because the cables enter the master cylinder from the front they would complicate the fitting of a bar bag.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks Chris. Only joking. I’d seen the V Twin and seen the price that the remaining new sets are fetching and sort of discounted them. I use a Specialized harness that has a metal bracket so should be no orbs with fit. I may have a pint on them but reckon they will go above my price point, you have a good lot of interest. Good luck :-bd
WSC