Plastic or Steel?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Plastic or Steel?

Post by Adventurer »

Was wondering what is your preferred bottle material when bikepacking?

I’ve been using the Elite Fly MTB bottles that have the lids and also Klean Kanteen steel bottles.

So been using both but I’m more on the side of using steel. I’m not sure why, I just find drinking from a steel bottle, a more pleasurable experience. :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Plastic or Steel?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Both - but I like that steel bottles tend to keep water cooler for longer and I like that I can stick them on a stove too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The Swig bottles from Alpkit are the best ive found afyer various Elite, Camelbak, SIS, etc etc. They seem to hold the flavour of the water better. Seems the newer Camelbak bottles are rediculously rubbish and had to throw one or 2 in the bin after just 1 or 2 months of use with mainly (or only) just water usage. Started tasting dirty before ling and maybe they've dropped theyre standards of what materials they use... Possibly built in obsolesence getting better at CB
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheapo plakky bottle. Maybe not as "eco" as steel/ally but lasted 2 years so far. 12 grammes.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Whatever standard plastic bidons I happen to have available.
Dean

Post by Dean »

I have a 1L Nalgene narrow mouth, my water filter screws onto the top so easy water collection in the wilds; it fits perfectly in an Alpkit bag on my stem (attached to fork with velcro strap) so no bouncing about. If I drop it when drinking at speed nothing will happen to it. It has been used for so long the measurements on the outside have all worn off.

Metal does keep water cooler on warm days but it dents so easily, I dented a Sigg so badly when I put my rucksack down I made a hole 1cm from the bottom and all the water leaked out.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Metal. I’ve some ancient Sigg bottles with really good covers on the top for keeping the crud off the valve which I like a lot.
Also some newer Klean Kanteen ones. Like Stu I appreciate being able to heat them directly on a fire although i’ve never done that bikepacking - just with my kids in the woods (land owners permission, no trace etc).
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I like plastic for "on the go" bottles because I can squeeze it, and they definitely have to have a cap over the nozzle.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:38 pm Cheapo plakky bottle. Maybe not as "eco" as steel/ally but lasted 2 years so far. 12 grammes.

I know it's just a plakky bottle Reg, but you've attached it to bicycle, therefore we'd appreciate it if you'd refer to it as a "b'don".* Ta.

* :wink: . Please don't.

Edit: I see the swear filter is ahead of me.