Paramo Ostro and Ostro light - experiences?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Paramo Ostro and Ostro light - experiences?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I do like a windproof in the hills and more so nowadays just when out and about.

Paramo are discounting both of these. Has anyone got much experience to share?

In truth they will probably get more wear in the hills / walking than on a bike, though might get used for both.

TIA 😎

Ostro:

Ostro Light:

50 gms between the two.

Or for the "special" amongst us (why am I thinking of RIP):

:wink:
ScotRoutes

Re: Paramo Ostro and Ostro light - experiences?

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP was in Scooby Doo?
RIP

Post by RIP »

It's true! I was the voice behind "if it wasn't for those pesky kids".

That cape just looks macabre, especially floating in mid-air like that. All it needs is a little wisp of blue smoke inside the hood and I'd run a mile. "It's a Mr Death or something. He's come about the reaping? I don't think we need any at the moment".....

Oh, and plainly we're all special on here of course... the only thing open for discussion is whereabouts one is on the scale :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I like Paramo stuff. I haven't tried the Ostro but my experience of other Paramo stuff, apart from the enduro/mountain kit, is it's quite boxy/cut baggy

So it's likely to flap around quite a lot, but if you're OK with that I like their functionality and robustness
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I have the ostro windproof it's very good for running in. It does wet out after a while but as its windproof you keep warm and you dry off between rain, I've used it in a number of ultras and really rate it for running, so much so that if I enter an event where I need a taped seams jacket I take both, one for the kit check and one to actually use. I would be concerned about ripping it while on the bike tbh. The ostro outer is the same as the quito I believe but the ostro light is even more flimsy

I also have the fleece but I've only used it a couple of times, it is very warm tbh I had it on just before lockdown and above the snow line I was ok but as soon as I left the snow I got very hot , I've not used them as a pair yet as I've not needed to but I cant see it working as a full analogy jacket

I'm still debating buying a velez adventure smock
Last edited by firestarter on Fri May 22, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've not used these in particular, but I like Paramo kit.

I still have my velez smock. Its too small currently but an excellent bit of winter kit. If i'm not back in it by winter I'll likely buy another.

Very nice kit
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A mate has the Ostro light and the fleece which in combination make it waterproof. On its own she has had similar a experience to Firestarter. If you regularly put it through the wash with TX10 its fairly water resistant but won't stand prolonged and or heavy rain. Seems like a good buy but I've already got too much paramo stuff as I really like it. Particularly the ease of re-proofing and repairing. It's quite heavy (I have a quito and another one whose name I forget) but very waterproof and very breathable.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've got a Fuera and Enduro already (yes, why am I contemplating something else as well!). The Enduro is nearly 400g and the Fuera is nearly 300g. I was wondering about the Ostro light version as a superlight alternative as and when I might want that but the product pics and weight imply it is crazily light (c.110g). That makes me worry about durability, either snags when riding or rocks and veg in the hills.

For the sake of 50g between the two I'm swaying towards the regular version.

Oh, and I think they're both Paramo's "athletic" cut, though again, it's Paramo and their particular take on the world of fit :wink:

Edit - I also think my Fuera is secondhand and might have come from Ben :oops:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I'd defo get the regular version, it still folds into it's own little pocket, I would definitely replace mine if I ever damaged it
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

firestarter wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:15 am
I'm still debating buying a velez adventure smock
I got a Velez light smock earlier this year and am well impressed. It saw me through an incredibly wet Feb with aplomb. It certainly outperforms any of the dozen or so Gore/Simpatex/event/etc jackets i’ve owned.
The only down sides are that it’s rather warmer and heavier than a standard waterproof but I can live with that.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I got a Velez Adventure Light smock after doing a wet ITT of the Highland Trail 550 last year and wanting a jacket that I could be confident of surviving severe weather in. I've used it loads over the autumn, winter and spring. Very pleased with it. It has side zips from chest down which help with ventilation but I wouldn't wear it in the dry/calm if the temperature was more that 10 degrees C.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I'm not certain I light the light outer tbh the velez adventure is a lot tougher but then again heavier and probably warmer still
But for ventilation the quito actually looks hard to beat tbh though does lack pockets
I just find the light outer a worry :(
Stattmeevens

Post by Stattmeevens »

Can any Ostro windproof owners comment on size, particularly sleeve length? I'm 189cm 34" waist and normally between a M and L depending on brand. The defining factor is normally sleeves!

Thanks
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If its cut like any other Paramo gear I have the sleeves will be relatively long for the body / compared to others.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

They size odd, I'm 176cm 34 waist and I wear a small but only over a tshirt or the ostro fleece and t, the med was massive on me , but i have the matching fleece and I had to get a med as the shoulders on the small were really tight
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 am I do like a windproof in the hills and more so nowadays just when out and about.

Paramo are discounting both of these. Has anyone got much experience to share?

In truth they will probably get more wear in the hills / walking than on a bike, though might get used for both.

TIA 😎

Ostro:

Ostro Light:

50 gms between the two.

Or for the "special" amongst us (why am I thinking of RIP):

:wink:

I’ve got a number of paramo jackets and also have a pumpkin ostro windproof which I’ve only worn a handful of times.

It’s a small, and would be willing to sell.

:smile:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cheers but not my size :cool: