Freehub bodies

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Freehub bodies

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Hi all, after ordering the bearings earlier, I rechecked the freehub body and it’s cracked next to one of the pawls. Its a 12 speed HG freehub body, does anyone know how you find a suitable replacement? Are all freehubs interchangeable or are they hub specific?

I’ve emailed Alpkit but they seem swamped at the moment. Also judging by the bite on the splines of this one, may want to upgrade anyway even if they do offer a replacement.

Cheers,

Andy

P.S. thanks for all the invaluable help on here, hopefully in a couple of years I’ll be able to pay back all my debit to the forum.
pistonbroke

Re: Freehub bodies

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry but this is the bike industry, there are dozens of permutations of design of freehub from the fully sealed, non user servicable type that are common on Shimano hubs to the fully servicable "open" types made by the likes of Hope. When you add in different axle sizes, numbers of gears on the cassette, some with needle bearings, others with roller bearings, ratchet and pawl types or DT Swiss spring type etc etc, it's a minefield. Your best bet is to fire an email to Neil at Alpkit, he should be able to find out if replacements are even available. My money is on it being a Joytech hub and repair or replacing just the freehub will not be cost effective. If it's not a warranty issue, it's time for a new hub or wheel if you don't fancy rebuilding it.
Sorry.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Cheers PB, I made a similar post on the owners group and Neil responded and said to email him direct and he’d sort me out with an updated freehub body so it should be sorted now. Looks like social media works faster than customer services at the moment.

Another delightful quirk of the bike industry that everything can be so non-compatible! :smile:

I may take a more serious look at the wheel building thread of a few weeks ago as I feel that may be the best way to go in future.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I'm not convinced building your own wheels is cost effective (unless you do it a lot) but it's a very satisfying feeling.