Where do you buy your bearings from?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Where do you buy your bearings from?

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

As the title says, as there any brands or retailers you’d particularly recommend?

Cheers,

Andy
BigdummySteve

Re: Where do you buy your bearings from?

Post by BigdummySteve »

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In no particular order except that the FAG are well sealed and meant to be good for high grit applications...

NTN (Japanese.. the best... beware of copies)
FAG
SKF
and a few others but basically try getting something of quality as opposed to the cheap rubbish. Type of seals make a difference aswell and according to applications...

Enduro btw,(in my expereince/opinion and I know I might be one of few that thinks this) are expensive rubbish :-bd but am sure the engineering folk & Stu will be here shortly to give their thoughts
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:20 pm In no particular order except that the FAG are well sealed and meant to be good for high grit applications...

NTN (Japanese.. the best... beware of copies)
FAG
SKF
and a few others but basically try getting something of quality as opposed to the cheap rubbish. Type of seals make a difference aswell and according to applications...

Enduro btw,(in my expereince/opinion and I know I might be one of few that thinks this) are expensive rubbish :-bd but am sure the engineering folk & Stu will be here shortly to give their thoughts
Can’t argue with your enduro assessment, anything sold by hambini will be quality.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Agreed... I think he has a bit of OCD as well as his Aspergers (is that one where you can't stop swearing :lol:) so would make sure he only provides the legit merchandise. Helped me with my (crappy) Powertap (please dont ever buy any of their crappy crap (thats not a swear right, Dave?) hub years ago and turned out they were applying the crappiest of crappy bearings in there. Put some NTN and suddenly it was nice.

Then the torque measurement thing went, so I chucked it in the ebay (after asking him for a quote to repair to which he told me he's not an electrical engineer)...
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks all, purchased!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Last time I bought bearings (for wheel hubs) I bought the cheapy ebay ones, and they haven't been too bad. They are so cheap that they're disposable.

£24 for a bearing (when you need 2 or 4) starts to get expensive.

For me the decision is based on where the bearing is, how easy to replace and how much I want to spend.

(But if I had unlimited budget the Hambini type would get my vote)