Most accurate wrist HRM?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Most accurate wrist HRM?

Post by FLV »

Hi,
For reasons I wont go into, the doc has set a limit on my max HR during riding. Not really a big issue but generally good to follow that sort of advice.

I have a Garmin 235 forerunner watch, the HR is rubbish. Possibly due to the lenses around the led's being cracked and in poor condition. But, I dont recall it ever being all that great.

Now, I definitely do not want to put a chest strap on. I will consistently forget it, not use it as it will annoy me and generally not get used as I waft around on my bike staring at the scenery.

I am fully aware that generally the wrist based HR's are not as accurate as a strap on... I'm not too bothered as Its a guide and not a full on training aid.

It would be great if I could record my ride on there too and therefore leave the gps unit at home unless I'm wanting to navigate. It would also be useful to do 24h resting HR. Decent battery life would be cracking too.

4, 5, 6 hundred quid devices need not apply unless there really is no other options that actually work.
Lost of stuff on the internet for runners but they all seem to be professional youtubers doing slick reviews to make money (so fine for learning features only) or fashionista's looking for the next best apple watch. I dont care about any smart watch features except uploading saved rides.

Ta muchly.
Mariner

Re: Most accurate wrist HRM?

Post by Mariner »

Have a look at the Polar range and see if they have anything that meets your spec.
I bought one years ago that uses a chest strap and apart from having to send the watch off for a new battery last year it has done what it is supposed to do.
If I was looking to replace it I would definitely consider them.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks,
Back in the day the simple thing was to get a Polar for HR, Garmin for Nav if I recall correctly.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'd be interested in this as well. I currently have a cheapo smart watch that does show HR but I can't sync it with Strava on my phone for HR data during a ride. I used a Polar HRM with chest strap back in the days when I was a semi serious roady but like FLV I can't be bothered with chest strap faffage now. Tbh I only bought my current smart watch as it has a big display that I can read easily without my reading glasses but it's piqued my interest enough to contemplate a more capable upgrade in future. :|
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

No advice on which unit, but when you do have some check on D C Rainmaker for a review. He's a proper tech nerd and also independent and transparent about his reviews so usually a good source of real world testing.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
FLV

Post by FLV »

sean_iow wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 pm No advice on which unit, but when you do have some check on D C Rainmaker for a review. He's a proper tech nerd and also independent and transparent about his reviews so usually a good source of real world testing.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
I did set off down that rabbit hole, but its pretty deep :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

DC Rainmaker (predominantly running IIRC) has some alright reviews of wrist mounted stuff. It can get very detailed but generally it seems pretty good. Kinda like a real user but who seems to know what he's talking about and does quite a bit of back-to-back testing. Plus he seemed to update things, rather than just reproduce the launch press release and then move on.

I've got a Vivoactive 3 music:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/602068

Like it. Heart rate seems generally in the ballpark whenever I've used it and I am a sweaty bastard which is apparently one of the issues. Whetehr it's bob-on I have no way of telling. Just that when I can feel my chest hammering it reads c.190s :shock: :shock:

Pretty good user interface. Works with Garmin Connect so you can spaff yourself silly on data, graphs etc. Not massive so you can wear it as "just" a watch (I'm not a fan of the massive things that look like they ought to be on a wall, not your wrist). Does GPS tracking and I think there's some Nav functions but never bothered. I just wanted accurate distance to see how I was doping on C25K etc.

If you use Spotify (or certain other subscription music services) you get some degree of playback directly off the watch (for Spotify it only syncs playlists but that's fine for me). I particularly liked that when I was running as was no need to carry phone. Need bluetooth headphones, obvs :wink:

Allows a whole sub standard load of fancy notifications, customisation of watch faces etc etc etc, if that's your thing. Also has widgets (like mini-apps) which can be vaguely useful at times. There's one that does altitude and grid co-ordinates and there are a multitude of others.

Lastly, I think mine is the three and they've recently launched the 4. That should mean prices of the former drop should be dropping. You can also get non-music version of the 3 which are a few ££ cheaper too (think all versions of the 4 do music).

EDIT - took that long to write someone else mentioned the DC bloke :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks for that, good to have usage recommendations.
I notice that the 3 without music can be had for £112 quid currently from Garmin so thats pushed it a long way my list.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Some great info on DC Rainmaker. I recall I have used his reviews before.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/11/spo ... uyers.html
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've "calibrated" my Forerunner 35 alongside a chest strap and the results are damn near identical. I have a theory that the larger devices bounce around too much due to their weight/momentum.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

FLV wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:01 pm Thanks for that, good to have usage recommendations.
I notice that the 3 without music can be had for £112 quid currently from Garmin so thats pushed it a long way my list.
I love tunes when (trying to) run so I plumped for the music version. I believe the only difference between the two is software so you don't suffer for a lack of anything else if you don't want tunes and go for the non-music version. In truth it's way more "smart-watch" than I need or am inclined to use but it's as easy and reliable as I could want.

Going for a run and dumping the phone was great the first time I did it.

You wouldn't want to do texts etc from it and if you want to make calls etc, whilst the phone can control some functions, you still need the handset itself.

For that price and if it fits your needs I'd give it a whirl. Standard width strap fitting as well so you can change those to your hearts content. Better value than Garmin's own stuff.

Oh, apparently the screen scratches a little easily but TBH I don't care much and you can get protectors if that's a concern.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just wanted accurate distance to see how I was doping on C25K etc.
I assume you didn't mean this Tim?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I need every little bit of help I can get Stu :lol: Not one of life's natural runners :oops:
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I had the same orders from the docs a couple of years ago.

I’ve used a Vivoactive 3 for about 18 months, does everything I need.
I was sceptical of the wrist HR but at normal rates it’s very accurate comparing closely when I’ve been hooked up to machines in hospital. Can’t really speak for higher rates as I use a chest strap - the VV3 can pair with straps as well as cadence/speed sensors etc.
Garmin Pay is handy as well!

If it failed I’d buy another tomorrow.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 hr Sapphire and it does all the things you want, you get the Garmin connect app on your phone which you pair the watch to and after an activity you save it on the watch and its goes to the phone also it can be paired ti Strava if that's your thing.

The Hr monitor is good I've tested it at rest and its spot on although I cant test it when I'm riding.

The Sapphire screen is bombproof, I'm a manual worker and wear it everyday and its still unscratched, the bezel does mark though.

The 3 is discontinued now I think and replaced with a 5 that has Os maps on but a bit too small for my eyes.
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
Chew

Post by Chew »

I have a Garmin Forerunner 45 which will do most of the stuff you need.

Think the 35 is very similar and can be found cheaply if you shop around :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

If possible and you really want an accurate reading, go with a chest strap + watch.

Given how tricky it is for a wrist HR monitor to read precisely, it's no surprise if some are a bit off.

Some wrist HR monitors seem read accurately, others don't. It's probably more down to ergonomics, wrist shape and type of movement, but I know of one highly inaccurate fenix 5 from a friend I often ride with. It's about 20 beats off at 120 bpm!
My girlfriends Casio seems spot on and another mates fenix (think it's a 5 too) is very close too.
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:08 pm I've "calibrated" my Forerunner 35 alongside a chest strap and the results are damn near identical.
Calibration sounds like a great idea. Will suggest that to my mate with his off values.

Personally I use a chest strap and Garmin Edge 820, which is a stupid option for everyday use. But then, you don't seem to need it as you're asking due to monitoring your HR when giving it a strong effort.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got a forerunner 35 and it's accuracy does seem to wander a little depending on how tight the strap is. It also thinks that every time I go running I'm in zone 5 almost all the time - not sure if that's just innacurate or I'm just really unfit.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Have you set up the correct HR zones by using Connect?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Plumped for another Garmin unit,

From the bargain thread, thanks to Dave B for the link
Dave Barter wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:12 pm Lots of bargintastic Garmins

https://www.myactivediscounts.co.uk/red ... offer=MTYz
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Watcha get then?

Also interesting that you used that site. Not casting aspersions on DB but I saw the site and was immediately wary. Interesting to know it's legit.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 am Watcha get then?

Also interesting that you used that site. Not casting aspersions on DB but I saw the site and was immediately wary. Interesting to know it's legit.
Vivo4
I'll confirm the Legit when it shows up, but it seemed to link direct through to Garmin and my order confirmation certainly seems to come from Garmin.

The link seems to be broken / expired now however. There are still some sales direct on the Garmin site.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Hope you like it. I was tempted by the two buttons (only one on the 3) but TBH it's not worth the cost when the one I have works perfectly well.

Amazing that stopped me spaffing yet more cash, it usually doesn't :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 am Have you set up the correct HR zones by using Connect?
My max heart rate was set to the standard 220 - age (171) but my usual pace for a run of 5-7k normally gives me an average in the low 160s with a max of up to 174.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

220-age is generally considered to be unreliable. I've played about with a few options for getting something more specific to me, including the Joe Friel method.