TN Laser Photon 'Fastfly'

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Anthony

TN Laser Photon 'Fastfly'

Post by Anthony »

Could any TN Laser Photon 1 users please do me a favour and weigh their flysheet (w/o pole sleeve) and pole?

I'm experimenting on my next trip by taking my laser comp in fastfly mode to use as a well sheltered tarp in conjunction with my lightweight bivvy bag. It's so much more spacious once you remove the inner tent I'm hoping in bad weather it'll be a good flexible combination. I wanted to see how much lighter the photon actually is and whether it packs much smaller?

Pole/flysheet on my laser comp is 557g and the flysheet stuffs into a stuffsack slightly bigger than a 500ml drink bottle so would guess about 0.6L. Someone tell me the upgrade to a Photon isn't worth it :?

Many thanks.
numplumz

Re: TN Laser Photon 'Fastfly'

Post by numplumz »

Funnily enough I was planning on checking out the same option this coming weekend as a makeshift cover, guess I'll have to adopt your name of 'Fastfly now ;) , How much per gram is it worth?

Photon1 flysheet in its original bag with aluminium pole and two end carbon poles 425 grams, no pegs.
pack size appears much the same as you indicated, sqeezed it into a insulated jacket holder for a 750ml bottle and it fills approx 2/3
The carbon poles weigh 35g so down to 390g if you can do without them.

One though I had was how noisy it will be going solo skin.

Trouble is I'm sure it will take me forever to work out how the inner clips back to the outer when the time comes. :roll:
The old git in the yellow socks
Anthony

Re: TN Laser Photon 'Fastfly'

Post by Anthony »

I thought 'Fastfly' was a fairly recognised term, a lot of manufacturers sell the groundsheet protectors to create a complete singleskin shelter when in 'fastfly mode' :D

Thanks for the info though thats just what I needed to know. If the packsize is similar and is only 100g or so more in weight, I'll save myself the £160 upgrade! I'll take the endpoles with me as they store neatly enough next to the main pole, I did toy with the idea of using bike wheels to guy the ends up to, but for the weight I can't be bothered.

Top-tip, if you find that during pitching one or two of the toggles tend to come undone, I find that looping them through twice keeps them in place. I have to admit when I come back off a wet trip it is a PITA to have to take the skins appart to dry them properly, I know what you mean about putting them back together correctly!

I'm thinking that if the sky looks good I'll kip out in just the bivvy bag, if it then rains during the night I can retreat into the shelter.