Hammock underquilt advise please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Hammock underquilt advise please

Post by whitestone »

Ben, when I was looking up info about hammocks and the various bits of "the system" something like that had been tried but it seems like it's one of those ideas that fell by the wayside in favour of the more modular mix and match approach.

I thought it was called a "hammock sock" but that's more of a bivy bag with mesh upper to go around the hammock and ridgeline.

One disadvantage is that you'd need several of them to cover a range of temperatures whereas with an underquilt you can get a warmer one and vent it or move it around should you be in warmer climes. You could unzip it but then you'd need to support the underside from dropping to the ground. Also as you say, it would need to be pretty wide to accommodate the hammock itself since you sleep on the diagonal.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

The author of Ultimate Hang mentions that version of insulation but like Bob says (have I said that before :lol:) it seems to have been a passing concept, much like wearable sleeping bags etc. They exist but I suspect very niche.

A combination of poorly sealed or fitted UQ, poor tarp coverage and challenging airflow (swirling winds or ones that change direction to then blow parallel to the shelter apex rather than perpendicular - so getting into the sheltered area) can result in air-flushing (I can't remember the right term). Whatever, it's like getting flushed in a wetsuit where the trapped, warmed water is driven out when a wave hits a loose seal at the right angle and replaces it all with freezing seawater. In a hammock it is proper rubbish and was cold enough to keep waking me up (hence why I also resist frigging solutions for UQs).

Anyhow, I've got one of these from Warbonnet:

It's their Spindrift Sock which is part of the Ridgerunner set up (https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/produ ... cessories/). I'm embarassed to say I haven't used it much but it's allegeded to create a bit of a *micro-climate* by reducing windchill and draughts (though not waterproof so a tarp is still needed). Benefit of this approached compared to a full insulated sock is that it is lighter than the oversized construction you'd need of a full, insulated, cocoon.

You can also get tarps or kits with end-doors that reduce wind effects e.g.

Warbonnet Superfly.

Hennesey and another firm used to do some absolute belters that were effectively like a little fabric house over your hammock for really dreadful conditions. Oh, yeah, just like a tent :oops: :oops: :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

hence why I also resist frigging solutions for UQs
I'm no hammock expert but I am wondering whether that should say 'rigging'?
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

@cheekymonkey ....

I really like that. I mean ... I REALLY like it. I've a UK Hammocks tarp with doors but she's a truly bulky thingy and I've only used it a couple of times when the forecast was all Noah's Ark n stuff. It was always fine - no rain got in for sure - but the wind still whipped under it and robbed me of my precious warmth. There's the rub ...

The thing for me about hammocks is that they are rather hard to get right. Every hang is different, especially if there's some weather (or, as in the case last month, one drops one's green ridgeline beeners and one is green/red colour blind and one cannot find the for love nor money) You gotta THINK about what you are doing. Pitch in trees with the wind coming down the pipe and you will suffer. Get the angle dangle wrong and you spacious lovely hammock will feel like a cocoon.

But I like that too. I like the faff. I like the challenge. I like that sometimes I get it wrong and that sometimes I get it right.
I'm just going outside ...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

A structural ridge line on your hammock takes most of the guess work out of it, and makes it much easier to get a good hang every time.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

ImageAmazon River by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

I thought that I was very experienced with using a hammock. Looks like I have a lot to learn still. Great!
The picture shows my hammock (somewhere in there) of my five night trip up the Amazon. I had a break ashore in the middle. Not CF. Not Covid friendly.
Just done 3 hammock nights this week on the South Downs Way. One thing, I get more ticks with a hammock, because I sit on the ground more, cooking etc, not in a tent.

I have 3 choices.
Get a cheap, but bulky and heavy, OneTigris from Amazon. To try out. Maybe fine for hiking but not bikepacking.
The Cumulus, but my size is not in stock except in the very cold and pricey range.
Or, chop up one of my 4 expensive down sleeping bags.

I don't want to get a 3/4 and later realize/realise I need a longer one.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I agree, it's not without a degree of faff.

There are probably better forums than this to try to pick up secondhand gear (so cheaper and less of a downer if what you get isn't quite right). Maybe try song of the paddle or hammock forum (US but a fair few UK folks hang out there). Also bushcraft forums might be a good bet.

Are you a warm or cold sleeper, particularly at your extremities i.e. feet and head? If a warm one, and if it were me, I'd chance something 1.8m long. Easy for me to say and no guarantee :cool:

Edit - that Amazon trip looks mighty fine.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Shug Emery on YouTube is worth a look for hammock information. Very knowledgeable and completely hatstand.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Shug :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The Cumbrian wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:04 am Very knowledgeable and completely hatstand.

:???:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In the style of Doctor Seus, try it and you might like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

In amongst all the bonkers-ness there is some good advice.

:cool:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Been a Shug fanboi for a while. Funny and informative. Not seen that video before though and apart from the hammocky stuff, I rather like his half-sleeve down jacket.
I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think everyone with any interest in hammocks eventually comes across Shug :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jBay

Post by jBay »

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/blueskylavender makes good stuff and really helpful.

I went for the Wooki in the end.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

jBay wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:26 pm https://ebay.co.uk/usr/blueskylavender makes good stuff and really helpful.

I went for the Wooki in the end.
Did you source your own down and then sew up?
jBay

Post by jBay »

No, but that is an option
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cool :-bd

Just flicking around their ebay page and looked like most / everything was "unstuffed".
jBay

Post by jBay »

Stuffing is available, stuffed or buy your own from Germany.