Hammock underquilt advise please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ticsmon

Hammock underquilt advise please

Post by Ticsmon »

Just bought a hammock with tarp and fly net. Will I need an underquilt in the summer with a sleeping bag ?
First time posting to so be gentle
JohnClimber

Re: Hammock underquilt advise please

Post by JohnClimber »

Originally I bought the DD underquilt with my DD hammock and it worked ok.

But as normal (as most of us do) I wanted lighter, warmer with a smaller pack size and now I use the Alpkit quilt
https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover

I had a lot of faffing (who here doesn't like faffing) to get is 100% right, with sowing on hoops in the right place to match the DD one it replaced.

No when packed the quilt turns in to it's own pocket along with the super light hammock and fixings, so it all goes together in a small light bundle as small as a small sleeping bag
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Will I need an underquilt in the summer with a sleeping bag ?
Yes - unless you use a sleeping mat inside or it's very warm. Generally sleeping in a hammock is colder than sleeping on the floor.
May the bridges you burn light your way
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I couldn't keep warm without an underquilt. In the summer I use a modified cloud-cover. In winter, a UKHammocks underquilt. If I’m unsure if I’ll find the right trees to hang in, I’ll take a sleeping mat to use instead. Going without under-insulation of either kind is not an option.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Even in summer you'll need some sort of under insulation.
If you want a quilt the DD one is good but big and bulky then you get into the realms of Gucci down.
Might be worth trying it with a foam mat first too see if you like hammocks first.
Some sort of evazote/ closed cell foam.
What's your budget?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ticsmon wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm Will I need an underquilt in the summer with a sleeping bag ?
You will need an underquilt (or mat inside, if you can keep it in place) in all but a heat wave here in the UK.
11 months a year at the very least for sure here.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Reading the US hammock forums it seems that 20C is about the lower limit you can get away without any insulation under you. It then seems you can't really go too warm with underquilt insulation as you can vent them should you need to.

My only night in a hammock so far was about 7C overnight and I was fine insulation wise with a Thermarest Ridgerest foam mat underneath with a Cumulus 150 quilt on top. That night was very still, the following night it became breezy and with the same mat but with a Cumulus 350 quilt on top my wife was feeling cold.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

As above, you do need an underquilt. Some people manage with a closed cell foam mat, but in my experience they move around under you and the whole joy of hammock sleeping is lost. And you'll want a top quilt. No need for a sleeping bag. Unless you have one you can open up like a quilt anyway,

Buy stuff from here:

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... mmock-gear

Not cheap, no, but once you're hooked on hammocks you will find a way to justify it all.
I'm just going outside ...
Ticsmon

Post by Ticsmon »

Thanks chaps. That cloud cover looks good, not so sure I’d like the faffing though @johnclimber
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Rock and Run had some Thermarest Snuggler under blankets on offer (sadly now all gone) but i reckoned they looked a decent option for the warmer months. There seems to be two types with the warmer one called the 'deluxe'. On-line reviews look good.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've spent many nights in a hammock and always used a mat. Partly because at the start underquilts weren't a thing, and partly because it narrowed my options too much (I couldn't bivi on the floor with it).

Back in the day I regularly used to go bushcrafting with Mat from ukhammocks and the guys that did a lot of the design/testing for his products. I nearly got an underquilt off him but at that point spent more time bivvying.

If you're going to do it properly, underquilt would be a lot less faff than a mat
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

I got an Alpkit down Cloud Cover quilt and sewed a channel down each side and added elastic. Works a treat.

I did get the quilt in a sale. I'm a bit surprised at it's price today.

Dave
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

A mat will be fine to get you started, but use as wide a mat as possible, or extend it with ''wings'' cut off another CCF mat. I've used underquilts for years now, but I started off using a mat. The only problems I found was that you're more likely to get a cold spot under you or on your side due to mat slippage, or if you overdo your insulation and sweat a lot you can create a little puddle of sweat which is held nicely by the waterproof mat.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Under-insulation pretty much essential. How you achieve it is down to inclination, budget etc etc. If you use an inflatable mat only semi-inflate it, apparently, helps it stay in place. CCF used by many for a long time.

I've UQs from Hennesey (weirdest stuff ever but a good thing to show you almost anything might work), UKhammocks (full and 3/4 - are they still going and have previous supply "issues" been resolved?), Revelation (import from USA - lovely but now more expensive) and Warbonnet (another US import and hammock specific, still lovely but still $$$).

A proper one is brilliant, usually light, very effective etc. Suppliers in UK small and a bit limited. Suppliers in US plentiful, though a lot of cottage style / one man band types. Comes with all the issues of import, exchange rate, delivery times, tax, etc. Not that I've bought one for a while so happy to be corrected by those up to speed with the market. Once you've got one (or two :oops:) that work no point buying more, I guess.

Thing is you can do it with foam, bubble wrap, a windshield layer, CCF etc which is often cheaper and more available and proportionate to how many times you go out.

Your choice, depends if you err towards DIY or Gucci :cool:

For no rational reason I really dislike the Cloudcover from Alpkit. Still chopping one up and re-purposing it seems fitting :grin:
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

There are some down quilts Amazon for £20...black diamond is the make I think will add a link in a bit..lots of vids on YouTube showing you how to turn it into an underblanket...personally I have been getting in with an old thermarest I had...I also think using a mat means you can set up a ground bivy if your out of luck re trees...an underblanket won't insulate you on the ground...
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Actually 'double black diamond' is the make...seems like they've sold out but you get the idea...buy a cheap down blanket and adjust it to suit.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

UKhammocks - I can't find it on the Internet. :???:

The Alpkit quilt - is there a site which shows you how to modify it?

Also it is only 180cm. I am a lot taller. Any recommendations on a longer one? Light and downy.

Cheers.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ukhammocks seems to be dead from what internet chatter I can see.

I wouldn't go for the alpkit, personally. Too short, bit pricey IMO, probably a faff to get working reliably. I admit I have a bit of a downer on the CC (and I own one).

I dont know UK vendors anymore. Suspect you might be better searching secondhand or ordering from the US.

You could try something from Europe but the only one that springs to mind is Cumulus. Who stocks them or which site to use I dont know. Never tried their UQs but TQs have a great rep so seem a fairly safe bet.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've the Cumulus Selva 250 which as you say is 180cm long. I'm 180cm tall and it is virtually a full length underquilt for me - goes from beyond my feet to the base of my skull. I can use clothing as a pillow for the remainder of my bonce. Still getting used to it but apart from a foam mat I've nothing to compare it to so whether it's "good" or "bad" is pure conjecture/personal opinion.

I got a bit confused since Cumulus call it a 3/4 length model but it's only 5cm shorter than many of the US vendors' full length underquilts :???: Turns out Cumulus are calling it 3/4 of the length of the hammock. For me the full length 300 model would just be insulating unused areas of the hammock.

I got mine from Verreweg Outdoor in Belgium. With the current disruption in services it took nearly a month to arrive - I was just about to write a "Here! Where's my underquilt ya bastids?" email when I got the "Your item has been dispatched." notification. :lol: I got our Cumulus quilts from Outdoorline - https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/ but they didn't have the 250 in stock when I was searching, in fact at the moment they have very little Cumulus bags and quilts in stock which might be a result of lockdown and "everyone" heading out camping plus supply problems. The other alternative is to get it from Cumulus directly, no cheaper but you might be able to get custom colours, they certainly do custom work on the quilts. Worth contacting them, they take a day or two to reply but in general are pretty helpful.

If you want down then I think you are limited to Cumulus here in Europe. If you don't mind synthetic then gramxpert do one but choosing the closest options to the Selva 250 it's virtually the same price.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

There was someone on eBay making custom underquilts in the UK when I looked a few weeks ago. Looked good to my inexperienced eyes.

I’ve been using a Neoair in the summer and been perfectly comfortable. I also have a Cloud Cover and have done a trial attachment using shockcord and mini carabiners. Very little faff and seemed fine. I’ve not spent a night with this set-up yet, so failings may yet emerge.

I can’t see the Cloud Cover being enough when it gets cold.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Apparently this bloke can make you one in the UK,

https://www.instagram.com/ginger_scarff/

As can be seen on youtube here,

https://youtu.be/qjsiFartN3g?t=280
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Worth noting as well you dont *need* full head to toe coverage from an UQ. 3/4 ones are a good way to save a bit of weight and bulk so people either manage (or benefit) with slightly cooler, uninsulated areas or supplement with a bit of CCF (or similar) in the footbox. TQs usually lack hoods so sleeping with a hat is common and a little clothing or pillow usually keeps that end warm, as Bob described.

Consequently an UQ between knees and shoulders can be fine. What I'm trying to say is maybe dont get too concerned about length (said the actress ....)

:cool:
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Has anyone tried a sleeping bag with a double ended zip with the hammock poked through the toe end?

Essentially make the bottom half of the sleeping bag into your under quilt.

I am sure there is a fundamental problem with this, draughty and the hammock wanting to be wider than the sleeping bag dimensions come to mind immediately, but thought it may be worth floating the idea. Even if it is to get shot down by practicality.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

People do make what you're describing Ben.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

benconnolli wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:23 pm Has anyone tried a sleeping bag with a double ended zip with the hammock poked through the toe end?

Essentially make the bottom half of the sleeping bag into your under quilt.

I am sure there is a fundamental problem with this, draughty and the hammock wanting to be wider than the sleeping bag dimensions come to mind immediately, but thought it may be worth floating the idea. Even if it is to get shot down by practicality.
I used to have one made by Snugpak (an older version of this: (https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/hammock-cocoon-1), but didn't rate it and sold it on. The main drawback is that your body has to warm a massive volume of empty space, which you inevitably end up with when you're in the hammock and it's weighted. There's a reason that most people who use hammocks use separate top quilts and under quilts.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.