Hammock underquilt advise please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ticsmon

Hammock underquilt advise please

Post by Ticsmon » Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Just bought a hammock with tarp and fly net. Will I need an underquilt in the summer with a sleeping bag ?
First time posting to so be gentle

JohnClimber

Re: Hammock underquilt advise please

Post by JohnClimber » Tue May 12, 2020 8:45 pm

Originally I bought the DD underquilt with my DD hammock and it worked ok.

But as normal (as most of us do) I wanted lighter, warmer with a smaller pack size and now I use the Alpkit quilt
https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover

I had a lot of faffing (who here doesn't like faffing) to get is 100% right, with sowing on hoops in the right place to match the DD one it replaced.

No when packed the quilt turns in to it's own pocket along with the super light hammock and fixings, so it all goes together in a small light bundle as small as a small sleeping bag

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Tue May 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Will I need an underquilt in the summer with a sleeping bag ?
Yes - unless you use a sleeping mat inside or it's very warm. Generally sleeping in a hammock is colder than sleeping on the floor.
#corporate shill for hire

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm

I couldn't keep warm without an underquilt. In the summer I use a modified cloud-cover. In winter, a UKHammocks underquilt. If I’m unsure if I’ll find the right trees to hang in, I’ll take a sleeping mat to use instead. Going without under-insulation of either kind is not an option.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Even in summer you'll need some sort of under insulation.
If you want a quilt the DD one is good but big and bulky then you get into the realms of Gucci down.
Might be worth trying it with a foam mat first too see if you like hammocks first.
Some sort of evazote/ closed cell foam.
What's your budget?

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber » Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 pm

Ticsmon wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Will I need an underquilt in the summer with a sleeping bag ?
You will need an underquilt (or mat inside, if you can keep it in place) in all but a heat wave here in the UK.
11 months a year at the very least for sure here.

whitestone

Post by whitestone » Tue May 12, 2020 9:18 pm

Reading the US hammock forums it seems that 20C is about the lower limit you can get away without any insulation under you. It then seems you can't really go too warm with underquilt insulation as you can vent them should you need to.

My only night in a hammock so far was about 7C overnight and I was fine insulation wise with a Thermarest Ridgerest foam mat underneath with a Cumulus 150 quilt on top. That night was very still, the following night it became breezy and with the same mat but with a Cumulus 350 quilt on top my wife was feeling cold.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog » Tue May 12, 2020 9:27 pm

As above, you do need an underquilt. Some people manage with a closed cell foam mat, but in my experience they move around under you and the whole joy of hammock sleeping is lost. And you'll want a top quilt. No need for a sleeping bag. Unless you have one you can open up like a quilt anyway,

Buy stuff from here:

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... mmock-gear

Not cheap, no, but once you're hooked on hammocks you will find a way to justify it all.
I'm just stepping outside ...

Ticsmon

Post by Ticsmon » Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 am

Thanks chaps. That cloud cover looks good, not so sure I’d like the faffing though @johnclimber

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Wed May 13, 2020 9:23 am

Rock and Run had some Thermarest Snuggler under blankets on offer (sadly now all gone) but i reckoned they looked a decent option for the warmer months. There seems to be two types with the warmer one called the 'deluxe'. On-line reviews look good.
#corporate shill for hire

benp1

Post by benp1 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:44 am

I've spent many nights in a hammock and always used a mat. Partly because at the start underquilts weren't a thing, and partly because it narrowed my options too much (I couldn't bivi on the floor with it).

Back in the day I regularly used to go bushcrafting with Mat from ukhammocks and the guys that did a lot of the design/testing for his products. I nearly got an underquilt off him but at that point spent more time bivvying.

If you're going to do it properly, underquilt would be a lot less faff than a mat

ballibeg

Post by ballibeg » Wed May 13, 2020 11:32 am

I got an Alpkit down Cloud Cover quilt and sewed a channel down each side and added elastic. Works a treat.

I did get the quilt in a sale. I'm a bit surprised at it's price today.

Dave

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian » Wed May 13, 2020 12:35 pm

A mat will be fine to get you started, but use as wide a mat as possible, or extend it with ''wings'' cut off another CCF mat. I've used underquilts for years now, but I started off using a mat. The only problems I found was that you're more likely to get a cold spot under you or on your side due to mat slippage, or if you overdo your insulation and sweat a lot you can create a little puddle of sweat which is held nicely by the waterproof mat.

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey » Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Under-insulation pretty much essential. How you achieve it is down to inclination, budget etc etc. If you use an inflatable mat only semi-inflate it, apparently, helps it stay in place. CCF used by many for a long time.

I've UQs from Hennesey (weirdest stuff ever but a good thing to show you almost anything might work), UKhammocks (full and 3/4 - are they still going and have previous supply "issues" been resolved?), Revelation (import from USA - lovely but now more expensive) and Warbonnet (another US import and hammock specific, still lovely but still $$$).

A proper one is brilliant, usually light, very effective etc. Suppliers in UK small and a bit limited. Suppliers in US plentiful, though a lot of cottage style / one man band types. Comes with all the issues of import, exchange rate, delivery times, tax, etc. Not that I've bought one for a while so happy to be corrected by those up to speed with the market. Once you've got one (or two :oops:) that work no point buying more, I guess.

Thing is you can do it with foam, bubble wrap, a windshield layer, CCF etc which is often cheaper and more available and proportionate to how many times you go out.

Your choice, depends if you err towards DIY or Gucci :cool:

For no rational reason I really dislike the Cloudcover from Alpkit. Still chopping one up and re-purposing it seems fitting :grin:

bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:34 pm

There are some down quilts Amazon for £20...black diamond is the make I think will add a link in a bit..lots of vids on YouTube showing you how to turn it into an underblanket...personally I have been getting in with an old thermarest I had...I also think using a mat means you can set up a ground bivy if your out of luck re trees...an underblanket won't insulate you on the ground...

bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Actually 'double black diamond' is the make...seems like they've sold out but you get the idea...buy a cheap down blanket and adjust it to suit.