Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Re: What tents do you lot use

Post by firestarter »

:-bd I will ponder
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had to reply to that review. It's daft complaining about getting the sleeping bag wet and yet not deploy the additional lifter tie-outs. Not only do they help ventilation in the first place, they also giver more head/toe room.

Anyway - condensation is rarely a problem. The very worst I've had was at Findhorn when there was a sea mist and everything was coated in moisture.

I can confirm that the pole-a-bear is much, much less flexy than the Easton pole that SMD supply.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyway - condensation is rarely a problem.
This.

The peak vent on the Lunar works fairly well and there's very rarely any need to sleep with the outer door fully fastened up. Those combined with the decent height round the edge provides good levels of ventilation and certainly much better than many people sometimes imagine - especially those that have tried single skin tents previously.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:17 pm
Anyway - condensation is rarely a problem.
This.

The peak vent on the Lunar works fairly well and there's very rarely any need to sleep with the outer door fully fastened up. Those combined with the decent height round the edge provides good levels of ventilation and certainly much better than many people sometimes imagine - especially those that have tried single skin tents previously.
Aye - it took me a couple of attempts to work out that placing the front guy carefully can make a big difference to how much the peak vent stays open.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ive still not fully mastered the pitch on mine. But then, I've not actually used it all that much
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:07 pm I had to reply to that review. It's daft complaining about getting the sleeping bag wet and yet not deploy the additional lifter tie-outs. Not only do they help ventilation in the first place, they also giver more head/toe room.

Anyway - condensation is rarely a problem. The very worst I've had was at Findhorn when there was a sea mist and everything was coated in moisture.

I can confirm that the pole-a-bear is much, much less flexy than the Easton pole that SMD supply.
Looks like they have moved the tie-outs higher now (from the review photos) compared to my older one. Mine are OK and I keep meaning to get some of Stu's poles/lifters too (off to the shop) :-bd

My condensation issues were initially related to (I think) pitching it too close to the ground at the rear - solved by adjusting the pole angle nearer vertical or leant slightly forward now (and keeping wet clothing in a bag when needed... and holding my breath during 8 hours sleep :wink: ) and as Colin say front guy/peak vent relationship too.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Are these Lanshan 1 tents any good? I see there is a pro version avaiable. Anyone used one? Look good for the money and lightweight too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The pro version is more like a Lunar Solo whereas the normal version has a separate inner. I've heard complaints about condensation in the pro BUT whether there's actually a problem or whether it's a lack of user knowledge / experience, I don't know.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dgowenlock

Post by dgowenlock »

I have a couple of Tarptents, really impressed with them but based in the US so hard to get in the UK.

The Motrail fits two with wide mats and is only 964g. It does need an additional but lighter than 2x bivis and a tarp:
https://www.tarptent.com/product/motrail/#tab-id-2

Ideal for trekking since you can use walking poles.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Tarptent Motrail
(129.34 KiB) Downloaded 340 times