What do you ride in?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

What do you ride in?

Post by FLV »

A general kit question. I tend to ride in bib shorts, baggies over the top and either a t shirt style riding top or a cycling top.
(Jackets and coats next of course)

I'm looking for tips on bib shorts with thin pads. I've used endura but the pads are thick and don't work great currently for me. I've tried no padded shorts and ended up with a hole in my undies and a sore gooch so might not do that again.

Also looking for baggy shorts that fit the stout of thigh and aren't enduro below the knee length, though i can get modified perhaps.

Finally, looking for riding tops in the tee shirt style. I have a bottom end endura cairn which gets most use but there must be other stuff that isn't fitted re purposed roady or xc race gear?

Anyone fancy saving me a load of buy and sell ?

Cheers
Last edited by FLV on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ton

Re: What do you ride in?

Post by ton »

i have been lucky i suppose.been riding 37 years now, and never had to use padded cycling shorts.
infact, i rarely use any cycling clothing, i use good quality walking clothes.
berghaus walking shorts with marks and spencer cotton undies take care of my nether regions.
keela trousers in winter with keela base layers. columbia t shirts in summer.

we shouldnt have to wear a uniform to cycle in.

and lycra should be banned unless you are a top class athlete competing....... imho that is.
:lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've found Castelli had a thin pad and don't forget to size up for them :-bd

Generally wear R-a-p-h-a bib shorts and a jersey wit a full zip this time of year (r-a-p-h-a/bearbones) with some specialized mitts, will carry a light Gillet too as the evenings cool off. Basically I look like a roady on a mountain bike :lol:

Have you looked at walking brands? the cut tends to be a little looser and the shorts not quite so long as bike stuff
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I hate bib shorts, they always seem to be trying to cut you in two and are a PIA when you want to go to the loo..... Non bib shorts always worked well for me (DHB aerons have a thinish pad) but recently I've been on trend and not wearing padded shorts under my baggies, using sportwool boxers instead. So far so good but I've yet to do a 9 hour ride in them needless to say.....

Baggie shorts wise I'm currently on the last of a long line of Endura humvees. I like long shorts so get the 3/4 length ones but the normal length are a generous cut. In the process of changing to Madison trail shorts also available in normal and long length. My first attempt were too big but they seemed to be a good generous cut in the leg. Both available in black and camo
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A pair of shorts which could be from any number of manufacturers and generally goverened by which pair is at the top of the pile. If I do rummage through, then an old pair of Polaris shorts will usually be withdrawn from said pile first. They're very light, water resistant and dry quickly. Like Tony, I don't wear padded shorts beneath, in fact, I don't wear anything under them. In winder, I might add some 3/4 bibs if it's proper cold but finding them without pads isn't easy, however I recall Polaris do or did make them.

Up top could be anything from a T shirt to a proper jersey but a bamboo T shirt is first choice.

To add - I had some Madison soft-shell shorts and as Phil says, they were a good generous fit without causing undue flappage but I had to return them when one of the poppers fell off second time out. I might get some more although they're perhaps a little warm for good weather riding.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As a suggestion, try Tri shorts. The pads are thinner to absorb and retain less water.

I bought some padded (underpants) from Aldi many moons ago. They also ghave a very thin pad. I'm sure there are branded equivalents.

Personally, for longer rides I normally opt for padded bib shorts, especially for the road bike where I'll be less mobile around the saddle. MTB it's normally padded shorts or 3/4s with a baggy over. I don't like long shorts though so buying online is always a bit of a gamble. I also don't like them too baggy so stretchy softshell works well.

I also use waterproof shorts over padded shorts if the weather demands.

TL:DR a whole range of stuff depending on conditions and preference.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I use the standard length Endura Humvee shorts. I like the liner, apart from the latex grip strip on the thighs, but it sounds like the pad will be too thick for you. The pockets are really good though, I like to keep my wallet and house key on my person.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Finally, looking for riding tops in the tee shirt style
My fave touring T of recent years -
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-ss-wool-t ... 93310.html
Not too flappy fit either. But would also vote for bamboo fibre Ts if available. The Decathlon stuff is just annoyingly good value, good quality + design for the £ and more importantly as far as I understand it they are relatively responsible sourcing buyers. Not Patagonia, but not as bad as most others of this scale. I hope that's right though rather than anecdotal BS.

Can't recommend bibs sorry, freed myself from padded shorts and happier for it but it's a personal thing. Apart from, Ton's right RE lycra :grin: (to be clear, I replaced them with something else rather than 'riding free and breezy)

Shorts - £40? (bias declared, I work there), they're looser fit all over than the Cafe du Cycliste / Ralpha / etc types but still less Enduro and more Fred. https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-mtb-bag ... t-EV351878
The FWE Ridgeways were great but out of stock until they return as Pinnacle-branded shorts.
Last edited by jameso on Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
slarge

Post by slarge »

You could have a look at the Aussie Grit shorts - they are slim baggy and a fairly thin pad, and proper shorts not bib shorts. Really comfy, but not at all waterproof and can be a bit sweaty if it's warm.

Other than that, cheap Aldi lycra shorts - the thinnest pads known to man (probably could insert all sorts of ladies toiletry advert witty quotes here!). I have some and hate them (but I have an unpadded saddle, so a bit of comfort down there is key).

I have gone the other way - the padding is in my shorts not the saddle.... works for me
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've also done ~10,000 miles or more in these, very happy with them. Light and comfy, no pockets on the sides, super simple. Used w/o padded shorts for a number of 5-8 day trips and one 35hr continuous ride. They breathe/vent well and dry really fast as the material's fairly thin - minimal rather than papery wafty if that makes sense. A bit slimmer fitting than the FWE though not a true slim fit as such.

https://www.evanscycles.com/kalf-terra- ... t-EV351882
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm still rocking some Kalf Terras too. The first pair came apart on the crotch stitching on their 3rd ride. The warranty replacements have been fine. Baggy without being flappy, not too lo g, stretchy, light. Definitely a summer only option for me.
jameso

Post by jameso »

The first pair came apart on the crotch stitching on their 3rd ride.
Bonded seams rather than stitched, they had some heat bond process inconsistency in the first batch as I remember. Mine are one of the samples and a later set, bought at RRP when I was on my way to an event and realised I didn't have any shorts in the bag! Would agree with the summer comment. I wear mine in winter but that's at the other end of the UK and with long knee warmers.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh aye, bonding, not stitching.

I was on a day out in North Uist when it happened but luckily had another layer on. :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

I mostly ride in baggies (have used Sifters from NZO Active) for the last few years.

Not crazy baggy and nice length and über comfy.

Underneath it's Merino or Bamboo long boxer shorts for sweat duties and to stop upper leg rub.

Up top I'm +1ing the Decathlon 'Forclaz' merino tops for value/comfort/quality but equally happy in just a regular T-Shirt as I usually stick to mosey-speed so wind usually dries me as I sweat.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Endura singletracks (older version, Hope branded because I got them "cheap") and BAM air-bamboo boxers. I dont ride big distances at the mo and it's all MTB / gravel / off road.

Whatever top I've got and seems to suit the weather. Used to use merino a lot when cooler but I find it is only average for me as a sweat beast (holds moisture and prone to cooling). Otherwise plenty of BAM tops, Groundeffect stuff (old), Hope riding Ts (various, on a deal and old, again). Quite like Inov-8 running Ts too, think they're Tri-blend or something, more casual than race performance.
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve recently given up on padded shorts - now wearing ‘underarmour tech boxer jocks’ - which are great - very thin, stretchy Lycra base layer material and not too expensive.
Before that I’ve found dhb liner shorts good, padded merino boxers by vulpine good for commuting (but not long rides) and proper bib shorts for really long rides especially on the road bike.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Lycra for me most of the time, for a fairly thin but very comfy pad I wear dhb team bib shorts. I'll sometimes wear baggies over them, or baggies on their own. I've a fairly slim 33” waist, and chunky tights, and find ion shorts are the best fit I've had.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm not going to recommend any shorts but for a non roady but not too baggy shirt I've found nothing to touch Alpinestars Drop/Drop2 jerseys. They're super comfy, wick really well and they come up cheap on CRC/Wiggle quite often. Available in long sleeve or short sleeve versions both of which are great. I've got loads of other tops (including some other Alpinestars ones) but non come close to the Drops.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think the golden rule with all cyling gear s what works for you is what you should use and nothing is the right choice for everyone.
For me clothing varies between a mixture of traditional MTB stuff- baggy waterproof shorts but almost always its just basically whatever i have that meets the conditions
2-3 hours without a pad is tolerable but dont think i would fancy it for all day on a rigid bike off road. We are all diferent though
Mike

Post by Mike »

Take alook at the alpkit flow shorts. I have two pairs now and they are really good. The material is lightweight, not sweaty,its stretchy and has two zips that open for knee pads but i dont use them. They would make even better venting in hot weather but i dont find i need it. They dry quick and seem hard wearing so far. Done a load of miles in my grey pair and the ass seams are still good, just bought the orange ones which are nice. You will need padded shorts under neath if required but these shorts are also really airy when off the bike. They come just above the knee and have a good cut no flare and not baggy. Im medium usually but went for the small in these and they fit perfect for me. I defo recommend looking at these if your in the market for over shorts
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks for the replies folks.
Ive had a punt on a few items. The fwe shorts, ill see how they size up and then may have a go at the kalf ones too.
Alpkit ones look nice, I'll pop to the hathersage shop over the hill once we're freed and have a try on, ive previously been too fat for them but may be ok now or soon.

I have a decat merino tee already, mine is a wierd fit so I'll have a look see if its the same range before investing.

Padded shorts. Had a another gamble on some some reccomended 7mesh shorts. Gone for the undershort version so hopefully cooler/ decent airflow. Also had found some peal izumi ones on sports pursuit, i have some 3/4 which arent bad so giving these a go too.

Cheers so far.
Keep the recommendations coming tho
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a pair of the FWE ridgeway shorts, wore them for a night ride last night. They're good, although wouldn't mind of they were a touch longer

I have some R@pha touring shorts and they're really very good. Bought them in the sale, otherwise too expensive. But they're a great cut, used mine for commuting quite a bit
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Lycra 99% of the time & Endura FS260 Pro shorts work well on my gooch, have a pair of Endura baggies which are comfy too but only wear them now and again (worn pad & need replacing really). Myself personally I go for a good thick pad everytime & being comfortable is the main priority hence a rear mudguard in wet/winter conditions also, as daft as they may look they keep the crap off ya back in turn keeping you comfy for longer :-bd
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Thu May 14, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm a fan of mudgaurds for sure, My gravenduro or whatever get mudgaurds for a large portion of the year now, absolute essential last winter and kept me almost entirely free of the turbo trainer.