A serious question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

A serious question

Post by Mike »

So ive been doing a fair bit of riding lately and having done so iv noticed im loosing a stack of weight again, i dont normally use scales but i am at the moment to keep check of it. I really dont wann loose much more but i also dont wanna not ride!
Anyone else experience this issue and if so how do i keep my weight up or level, is it a case of eating more or doing more strength training? Issue i see is i lift weights to build up strength then burn it off on bike so its abit pointless in my eyes all that hard work?

Interested in a solutuon
ScotRoutes

Re: A serious question

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pize?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Mike wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:46 am So ive been doing a fair bit of riding lately and having done so iv noticed im loosing a stack of weight again, i dont normally use scales but i am at the moment to keep check of it. I really dont wann loose much more but i also dont wanna not ride!
Anyone else experience this issue and if so how do i keep my weight up or level, is it a case of eating more or doing more strength training? Issue i see is i lift weights to build up strength then burn it off on bike so its abit pointless in my eyes all that hard work?

Interested in a solutuon
Oh boo-bloody-hoo for you - said the Clydesdale :lol:

Maybe look at your diet? I'm no nutritionist but lots of protein soon after exercise is supposed to be good for muscle isn't it?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You're reaching that age now where muscle mass may start to decline. A bit of strength training wouldn't hurt.

As for you eating more, how is that actually possible? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:55 am As for you eating more, how is that actually possible? :wink:
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there Stu.

Mike, has this weight loss coincided with the shut-down of the nations cafes? :wink:

If you're loosing weight but feel fine otherwise then consume more calories. If you have any other symptoms, e.g. loss of energy, then perhaps best to seek actual medical help?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you have any other symptoms, e.g. loss of energy, then perhaps best to seek actual medical help?
Surely that's exactly what he's doing here and also reducing the burden to the proper NHS :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

exactly stu, doing my bit...and keeping fit and healthy. Sean, no issue with energy, i mean im tired after a ride but who isnt. Maybe i should come off my veggie phase.

Sean, strange you mention cafes and cake. Nic has that exact same thought :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Drink beer - multiple benefits!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 am Maybe i should come off my veggie phase.

Sean, strange you mention cafes and cake. Nic has that exact same thought :lol:
There's a lot more calories in a nice big slice of cake than a turnip (I assume) so this could be it :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mike

Post by Mike »

A turnip pal....dont think ive every had one in my life :YMSICK: As for the cake, i demolished half of steves the other day :lol: you cant keep me away from the cake!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fats and sugars - get some protein in you - there's chicken and steak but if you're a weirdo (:wink:) there's shakes.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'd rather have a chickpea, spinach and paneer curry or a tofu and edamme stir fry than a protein shake.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 am I'd rather have a chickpea, spinach and paneer curry or a tofu and edamme stir fry than a protein shake.
Yeah, but this is Mike :wink:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

People like you make me sick.

I've been cycling a lot more lately too, and all it does is make me hungrier. If I got one of the more serious diseases I'd probably get the type where you put on weight. I'll have no volunteers to be a pall bearer at my funeral.

It sounds like a perfect excuse to hit the pies and ale to me.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:59 am
PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 am I'd rather have a chickpea, spinach and paneer curry or a tofu and edamme stir fry than a protein shake.
Yeah, but this is Mike :wink:
Ok then, he could have a chickpea, spinach, paneer, tofu and edamame shake :o :smile: . Reams of protein in that, and obviously if he has a massive cake afterwards that's the pulses/grains combo sorted for 'complete protein'.

Barny and Josie du Plessis were Mr Universe and UK's Strongest Woman respectively and they are vegan never mind veggie so I don't think you need worry too much on that score :wink: . I've been V for 38 years and my weight has never gone outside 10st - 10st8lbs range if you want another example.

Plenty of cake is probably the main thing :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

eat more is the obvious solution

I assume most of us are eating less snacks than we did so perhaps just eat more biscuits for "dead calories". as i have been 10 stone since i was 18 I am probably not the best person to offer advice on weight gain !

If a veggie plenty of high calorie options - not many as a vegan
ton

Post by ton »

Mike, as you know, i ride loads and loads. But i loose feck all weight.
so you need to follow my training regime.
ale, pork pie and digestives. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

you have a problem that most folks don't have.

Depends on what sort of weight you want to put on... Combination of more calories and some strength training should do it
Mike

Post by Mike »

I dont touch shakes, i prefer whole foods and i eat really healthy apart from the oddcake n biscuit or choclate bar 🙂
Im not fused about gaining weight just wanna stop loosing it. Might have to make more effort in the gym at work but that's so boring compared to a good ride in the sun. Cheers all for your thoughts

Ton, i love that diet mate apart from im not rrally a big drinker thise two pints i had with you weeks ago finished me off on the way home 😂😂
Mart

Post by Mart »

You’ve not got worms have you?
2924 miles per Gallon
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Mart wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:03 pm You’ve not got worms have you?
:lol: :lol:
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Possibly all that local trail exploring of late (cheers for the strava shout out) 😏
I've invested in some protein powder to hide in breakfast etc. Vegan diet here so needs a little more thought.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Whonickmename :lol: David i assume?? Hey fella didnt realise i had another boner so close to home :wink: Pass your place most days too on way to work. You fancy a local bivvy out sometime in the future let me know!

As for worms im all good on that one, but i reckon if i had a tape worm it would be more like a anaconda than a worm with what i can consume :-bd
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Mike wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:17 pm Whonickmename :lol: David i assume?? Hey fella didnt realise i had another boner so close to home :wink: Pass your place most days too on way to work. You fancy a local bivvy out sometime in the future let me know!
Hey Mike, that'smename 😁 I'm only an amateur boner but would be cool to meet up when things have calmed down! Cheers
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Ride more...eat anything/everything. Oh and beer. But you know this already fella.

Greetz

S.