The (bikepacking) Rules

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

The (bikepacking) Rules

Post by jameso »

https://www.pannier.cc/journal/the-grav ... ing-rules/

I know it's not meant to be serious :wink: but plenty to discuss/rib/apply I'm sure. Just for fun ...

calling gravel roads ‘groads’ is equally cool, as it is lame. Gridleways is a step too far
'Groads' is simply lame : ) Or, I'm too old for 'gravel' - I just call it a track or a byway.

The 2 rules of faff are missing, disappointed. And nothing about use of the term 'Ultra' meaning you're a triathlete in disguise? :grin:

never, like never-ever, disclose the real extent of upcoming terrain and hardship
I like this one.
FLV

Re: The (bikepacking) Rules

Post by FLV »

One thing that does make me chuckle is the general implication that bikepacking is gravel cycling. Who knows what riding a route such as a bearbones 200 / 300 / big bear would be classed as.

That said, the 'other' rules always brought me a smile. These do too.

My favourite

the correct number of coffee-making apparatus to carry is n+1 (where n = the number of coffee making apparatus you are currently carrying)

and I actually agree with this one

bag sag is a punishable offence
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

{vindicated}
dangling was legit until the late-Summer of 2019 (when we got horrendously ill from a sheep-sh*t mug at 4000m in Kyrgyzstan). If you need to dangle, dangle on the drive-side
and again
bikes are for riding, not for tent poles or strapping tarps to
This lot are starting to sound more like me, than me :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

FLV wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:04 am One thing that does make me chuckle is the general implication that bikepacking is gravel cycling. Who knows what riding a route such as a bearbones 200 / 300 / big bear would be classed as.
To be fair :grin: they called it THE GRAVEL-RIDING ADVENTURE-CYCLING BIKEPACKING CYCLE-TOURING RULES (their caps, I copied the title) - and I cropped it for the thread title. Edit to add, I know what you mean, there is a bit of a drop-bar bias over at Pannier but I did like the rule that sus forks go with flat bars. Even if just an aesthetic rule.. They're right ;)

(BB200 = XXC)
bikes are for riding, not for tent poles or strapping tarps to
Uh, does this mean not setting up a tarp strung off my bike? Confused now :lol:
Last edited by jameso on Tue May 05, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uh, does this mean not setting up a tarp strung off my bike? Confused now
No confusion. I've always maintained that the use of a pole(s) tends to produce a superior pitch and is much less faff ... but obviously, I would say that :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:29 am No confusion. I've always maintained that the use of a pole(s) tends to produce a superior pitch and is much less faff ... but obviously, I would say that :wink:
Got it. I have fallen foul of the 'tarp but no pole' minimalist weenie-ism in the past. Works OK, agree it's a potential faff-inducer among the unpracticed though and the 2 Bearbones poles I have (https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop ... rbon-poles- other poles are allegedly available) have certainly improved things.

I quite miss the luxury tarp set up I used to use...

ImageDSCN8940 by james*o, on Flickr
FLV

Post by FLV »

That looks a lot like many of my bivis from a few years ago, before I bought a lunar solo. Perhaps if I hadnt lost my Tarp somewhere I'd go for a little walk down memory lane next time, but I have lost it, so I wont.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

never, like never-ever, disclose the real extent of upcoming terrain and hardship
I like this one.
:grin: me too
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

#26 there is a time and place for 3-in-1 coffee sachets. All the time, everywhere
Hmm, no. 2-in-1 is perfectly adequate.
#64 The words “I just haven’t got round to setting up tubeless yet” should never, ever be muttered in public
A new wheelset is expensive! Admittedly it's cheaper than buying a entire new bike which is my current plan :grin:
psling

Post by psling »

jameso wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:46 am
I know it's not meant to be serious :wink: but plenty to discuss/rib/apply I'm sure. Just for fun ...
You'd be surprised; some people take this stuff very seriously :???:

Personally, there's a reason I don't like rules in my Fun World® and these lists gently remind me why.... [which is probably why I'm not a fun guy :cool: ]
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Personally, there's a reason I don't like rules in my Fun World® and these lists gently remind me why.... [which is probably why I'm not a fun guy :cool: ]
Gotta kind of agree Peter. Applying 'rules' to something that (to me anyway) embodies freedom does seem somewhat ironic. However, taken in good humour it's all harmeless fun.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm However, taken in good humour it's all harmeless fun.
True, that's the bottom line :-bd

Plus, I've always wondered about carrying a big old umbrella to prop over the head of my bivvy bag - much heavier than your work-in-progress-curved-pole of course Stu but allowed in the rules it would appear :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've always wondered about carrying a big old umbrella to prop over the head of my bivvy bag
Seen a few Alpine guides carrying them*, ponchos also. Very RSF :-bd

*for walk-ins rather than while hanging off a difficult route I expect
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A new wheelset is expensive! Admittedly it's cheaper than buying a entire new bike which is my current plan
I once bought an entire bike rather than change the bearings !
Ihave yet to find a rim i cannot get to tubeless though i have found some tyres - it can take days mind !
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Any to add, heckle or dispute? Please use the comment section, below!
These lot really do sound lovely...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Lazarus wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:00 pm
A new wheelset is expensive! Admittedly it's cheaper than buying a entire new bike which is my current plan
I once bought an entire bike rather than change the bearings !
Ihave yet to find a rim i cannot get to tubeless though i have found some tyres - it can take days mind !
It's taken 16 years of riding bikes fairly regularly for me change a cassette - and it took the pandemic for me to try it so ghetto tubeless is a big leap :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I love rules like this.

The Velominati rules are classics and I enjoy them even more so when some readers miss the point/take them to heart/get upset by them :lol:

I do however agree with #banthedangle rule and velo rules #6 + #9
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I've always wondered about carrying a big old umbrella
When riding the Turin Nice Rally in 2018, I bumped into 3 guys having lunch at the refuge on the Via de Sale. They'd set off 2 days before the group start and we're a bit surprised I'd caught up with them. Just after leaving the refuge I found a very smart telescopic umbrella lying on the track and picked it up, strapping it to my bar roll. A massive storm meant arriving into La Brigue soaking wet so I managed to get a cheap single room in a b&b. The other guys rolled up sometime later and managed to get into the same place. When we were packing bikes the following morning, they couldn't believe this guy that was carrying minimum stuff still chose to carry an umbrella!
Very Nick Crane.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:46 am And nothing about use of the term 'Ultra' meaning you're a triathlete in disguise? :grin:
I'll never forget sitting down with Alan G. in front of the tents at by the way camp ground the morning after arriving back in Tyndrum after the inaugural Highland Trail.
Whilst Alan made I brew I lit a fag and then he said "your not supposed to smoke. You're an ultra athlete!".
We laughed.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

the number of fig rolls / stroopwafels / jaffa cakes you’re allowed to carry is the amount that fit, neatly in a line, in your top tube pack(s)

I so want a pack of Fig Rolls NOW
jameso

Post by jameso »

Very Nick Crane.
Indeed :grin: