Ah, On One / Planet X again

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Ah, On One / Planet X again

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Picked up one of the cheap Scandals in the sale.

I'd read about the odd battered box / delivery damage but my previous experiences with OO and PX have all been generally OK. Well, there was a baggy seat post on the first Fireline frame but that got changed, eventually.

Lo and behold, courier rocks up, headtube is poking out of the thinnest bike box I've ever seen. The head tube had taken a whack and there was some bending at the edge. Rejected delivery.

Anyone care to place a bet on how well this is going to go?

Nevermind trying to find an email address or phone number on their pages :lol: :lol: So, lets see how "livechat" goes.

In the interests of honesty, I don't *know* that the HT was borked, it had taken a blow and I accept it *might* have been fine. My thinking is just that if it can't turn up in good shape why do I have to accept it and then go through the rigmarole of checking and then returning if it is buggered. I suspect some may not see it my way, HYOH etc :cool:
thenorthwind

Re: Ah, On One / Planet X again

Post by thenorthwind »

Sounds totally acceptable to me. Package clearly damaged on arrival: reject the delivery and let the retailer and courier argue between themselves about who's to blame. Your contract is with the retailer, so if they prove difficult, time to get in touch with your credit card company.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In fairness to OO/PX they responded very quickly via livechat and promised a refund. However, that was tied to them receiving the frame back. Just ironing out that as it was rejected and the courier took it away that, whilst prepared to wait a reasonable period, that it's not really my lookout.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'd still use Planet X myself for parts and so on but I'd never recommend them to someone for a bike as I'd feel awful when this happened.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for sharing that... I'll have Cheeky Monkey... Luckily I'm getring my one from a reputable seller :-bd ... Might still see about putting a strikethrough their name though one I get hold of my shiny OOF (from JS :-bd )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had some stickers made for my old Inbred that said, NO-ONE
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:27 pm I had some stickers made for my old Inbred that said, NO-ONE
That's interesting because I once ordered some stickers for an Inbred and when they arrived, they actually read NO*ONE. It was an error by the person sent me them as the previous customer had asked for that and he'd not reset the artwork.

ImagePICT3103 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

:o . That would be a superb coincidence if you were indeed contiguous customers! Something to do with the interconnectedness of everything and everybody or some such malarkey :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:22 pm Thanks for sharing that... I'll have Cheeky Monkey... Luckily I'm getring my one from a reputable seller :-bd ... Might still see about putting a strikethrough their name though one I get hold of my shiny OOF (from JS :-bd )
I've had some good stuff from PX/OO as have others. They often turn some good stuff out at rock bottom prices. They do put up some peoples backs though and it just seems their organisation / attention to detail / degree of care is a bit off.

I've had a lot of their bikes, the Fireline is still one of my favorites and for £400 (IIRCC) was a steal for a Ti frame (second time lucky with that one though).

I'm not a hater but would advise going in with your eyes wide open to the possibilities
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

A mate of mine bout 4 years ago (well before I knew there was such quality control departs in the world such as Bearbones threads... and STW :lol: ... ie. I thought I was the only one that noticed their **ite) bought a carbon frameset from them. Was a road frame and it was against my advice of course :grin: When he got it he was embarassed to have to tell me there was a section of carbon missing neae the bottom bracket junction.

I never did ask him for a pic but he obviously wrote to them about his grievance. First reply he got was that (maybe not in them words but how he described it to me) it was perfectly normal and safe :lol: ... They did eventually return it (but he only got a replacement so I wonder whether they refused to refund and only replace!!)...

Oh well... On another side of the story. The one time I did visit one of their shops (when I was told that Beant wasn't actually part of their management/leadership and never had been!!) when it was near/in Rotherham, the lad was nice and no pressure to buy owt. Very relaxed atmosphere and we admired his Ti Raliegh whilst he complimented my Condor 631 Reynolds (never did find out what model it was as it was that old the the shop didn't even know but they did confirm it as one of theirs)...

Glad you sent it back and I won't say what I think of them telling you its (kindof) on your head that it arrives back to them... I generally hate people that do obviously rubbish packaging... Dave might have a word for em .. :???:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:46 am Glad you sent it back and I won't say what I think of them telling you its (kindof) on your head that it arrives back to them... I generally hate people that do obviously rubbish packaging... Dave might have a word for em .. :???:
No, in fairness to them, they have clarified that if the courier fails to return the frame to them they will still refund me.

I was mid-chat when I originally posted plus I wanted to make sure they understood I hadn't accepted and couriered it back to them (the normal way of things). I refused to accept the parcel which is slightly different and possibly slightly at odds with their returns policy.

So far, all dealings (except a badly packaged and damaged, to an unknown extent, frame - y'know, just a little thing :roll:) have been fine. The proof will be, of course, receipt of a full refund.

I wonder what they'll do regarding the delivery charge (not small in this case £15). To my mind that also should be refunded because it's courier/OO issue, not mine.

All good fun and the joys of internet shopping :cool:
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

I like OnOne, but why do they still ship frames in tiny boxes? It cant be a small percentage that get mashed in transit?

Or is the cost to them of a few exra frames in an order offset against much cheaper shipping because the box is nominally smaller?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shipping is volumetric. A smaller box makes it much cheaper.

I'm also guessing that the cost of a frame to OO/PX is pretty minimal (compared to what it costs the customer)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Seeing this reminded me to check my account.

Fair play to PX the refund was received in full (including cost of postage) on 7th.

I have subsequently compensated my disappointment by buying shorts :lol: