TDR bike suitability

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

TDR bike suitability

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Hi all, looking for some advice from those who’ve ridden or raced the Tour Divide.

I’ve got a Sonder Signal Ti and I’m looking to replace my Rose Cross Bike for gravel and road riding and I’ve test ridden Sonder Camino Ti and I’m really sold on it for my needs.

However I have an aspiration to enter the TDR in a couple of years time and I’m speculating which (with a bit of component alterations) would be the more suited bike for the race?

Would a signal with a rigid fork and something like 29er Ikons or Mezcals be better or a Camino with some 27.5x2” tires be better?

I’m aware better is subjective so maybe it’s what would you rather ride?

I had looked at a custom Ti frame more like a Cutthroat from Sonder but I think it would be more compromised for my daily needs just to make it suitable for the TDR.

Cheers, Andy
Boab

Re: TDR bike suitability

Post by Boab »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am I had looked at a custom Ti frame more like a Cutthroat from Sonder but I think it would be more compromised for my daily needs just to make it suitable for the TDR.
Can't answer your main question, but have you considered the Smokestone Mr Harry...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'd go for the signal over the camino if I had to flip a coin.

Though we rode broken roads with 29er ikons. I'd certainly not ride a rigid bike, my hands were numb for months after the TD and that's with 100mm of travel up front.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I'd go for the Signal.

I did ride a rigid bike and like Rich my hands were numb for months.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks all,

I looked at the Smokestone but it’s probably a little out of my price range and I think it would be a little compromised on the road.

Thanks for the advice on the Signal, sounds like it’s the best option. I would have gone for a Broken Road in the first place but I really enjoy the lairyness of the Signal for Lakeland descents after back to back test rides.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Sounds like you need Mr Barter's input as he's done the TDR recently. If you haven't, search the forum (possibly in trip reports) and he put quite a write up and film of it. He's always entertaining and informative, in a very blunt, personal, adult kinda way :wink:

Gregg May has done it as well.

There are probably plenty of others, just the two I can remember off top of my head.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I used a Ti 29er with Carbon forks. Not sure that suspension would really have helped as I think most of the hand and arse grief comes from hours in saddle and constant knocks rather than big impacts.

I've not ridden a signal but I'd certainly take a 29er with big XC tyres over a Camino.

I went for the Ti frame for it's legendary zing and if I'm honest my carbon Lurcher was more compliant. Having just picked up a Cutthroat I'm tending towards the Ti zing and spring to be apocryphal really.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

johnnystorm wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:28 pm I used a Ti 29er with Carbon forks. Not sure that suspension would really have helped as I think most of the hand and arse grief comes from hours in saddle and constant knocks rather than big impacts.
This.

I used to get terrible numbness with my Ti 29'r and flat bars. The Cowchippers on my Cutthroat made a massive difference. I never once thought suspension forks would help. But this is bikes ain't it. So everyone will be different. My view is the TD is more about coping strategies and less about kit. I'd invest in those.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks all that’s all great info. I think once it’s all safe to do so, just riding longer and back to back on my Signal will give me a good feeling for it.

I’ll put my time and money into coping strategies, are the R@pha ones the best or should I just look in Aldi? :wink:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:56 pm Thanks all that’s all great info. I think once it’s all safe to do so, just riding longer and back to back on my Signal will give me a good feeling for it.

I’ll put my time and money into coping strategies, are the R@pha ones the best or should I just look in Aldi? :wink:
Crikey, how much Brevet shorts are worth every penny.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

johnnystorm wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:00 pm
AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:56 pm Thanks all that’s all great info. I think once it’s all safe to do so, just riding longer and back to back on my Signal will give me a good feeling for it.

Criky, how much Brevet shorts are worth every penny.
Oh, I see Ràpha gets changed to a misspelled "crikey".
Last edited by johnnystorm on Mon May 04, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Double post :lol:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I used a Jones with 2.35 Ikon's. No hand problems at all on a rigid bike. Bear in mind the Divide is a very long, mostly gravel ride, with some horrendous washboard. Only a small amount of people race it, several hundred people a year potter along it on a variety of machinery, gravel, mountain, CX, use whatever you fancy.

Comfort is key. My opinion is to do as many road miles on the bike as you can. On the road you tend to stay in the same position for long periods which shows up any discomforts. This is what you'll be doing on the Divide.

I had planned on using my rigid Stumpy. I can ride it off road all day, 50 miles on the road and I need a couple of days to let my hands recover.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You want big tyres - fast rolling and fairly tough 2.3 or 2.4s. Comfy riding position. Drops or whatever alt bars you like, just expect that by day 8 anything you thought would be comfy will need to be higher/shorter/more padded. Don't fall into the trap of thinking it's a gravel bike thing, if you're racing it's more about the likely gradual collapse you'll be experiencing toward the end and planning for whatever will get you through that. A gravel bike will just kick start your collapse a lot sooner :grin:
I really enjoy the lairyness of the Signal for Lakeland descents after back to back test rides.
Done deal then. There's some flat out fun open descents on the route and anything that puts a smile on your face each day will make the tougher aspects a lot more bearable. Amazing how much of a lift a good descent buzz can be.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks all, those are a couple of things I hadn't thought of. It's unlikely to be in the next couple of years, but something to aim for.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just imho/fwiw.. just do it :-bd .. things change and the further ahead you put it the less likely it'll be or potentially the less fire you'll have for it by then? You could be top 20% competitive next year if you can do a few longer days back to back now and have the self-supported ability already.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Disclaimer - I’ve not ridden the route, not even a single part of it - However -

If you’re looking at a hardtail, then the Trek Procaliber is well worth looking at, the rear ended is really comfortable (I was sceptical of it but am amazed how good it is!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh, I see Ràpha gets changed to a misspelled "crikey".
Oh yeah, in my excitement to upset folk, I missed the 'e' out :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Still dreaming of doing the TD, so no expert

What ever bike you get it's worth considering one of these as the first upgrade I'd say

I've only had one very long ride on this new model ST version since it arrived last Fridayand it's amazing at busting the thuds.

I've had the original one for several months now which is great but it does wallow a little more than the new one.

I got both from Shona (from these parts) posted out from her shop Keep Peddling in Manchester
Last edited by JohnClimber on Mon May 04, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Richpips wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:58 am I'd go for the signal over the camino if I had to flip a coin.

Though we rode broken roads with 29er ikons. I'd certainly not ride a rigid bike, my hands were numb for months after the TD and that's with 100mm of travel up front.
Have you tried using Laufs for multi-day rides Rich?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

In Reverse wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:24 pm
Richpips wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:58 am I'd go for the signal over the camino if I had to flip a coin.

Have you tried using Laufs for multi-day rides Rich?
mmmh Lauf's ;-)
and the new ST Thud Buster, Rohloff, Brooks C17 Cambium on my 29er+ Travers titanium
I need to do the TD, I so need to do the TD
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I’m sorry but those forks are gopping, and they’re on backwards too. :wink:
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I did it last year and had suspension forks, no numb hands, I have the urge to do it again and next time carbon forks and 650b plus tyres, I can highly recommend a carbon seatpost and a leather Brooks saddle, I met quite a few people with saddle sores and they where miserable.
Personally I would not dream of doing it on a 2 inch tyre if would be torture, other opinions also available.
I know have a Broken road with carbon wheels,Prong forks and the same carbon seatpost and saddle it is super comfy, almost everyone has aerobars and they helped me and I used them all the time.
What's the worst than can happen?
jameso

Post by jameso »

TD might be the one place ever, maybe, where I'd use a Lauf fork. Maybe. : ) More reliable than a telescopic and should be better at the small fast vibrations. Washboard had me howling and swearing out load while riding. Hit a section at speed downhill unprepared, with sore feet and hands, and F*&%ing %$*&ard F*&% .. Always annoying, sometimes genuinely eye-rattlingly horrible.

I see Rene Herse (Compass Tyres new name) just launched a new 'designed for the TDR + AMR' / bikepacking specific tyre. It's a 2.2" :grin:
(I know the TDR was won on 2.1 Nanos for many years but that was before there was much choice?)
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks hive mind. I feel a lot better about riding the Signal. Maybe a lauf, thundbuster and some Jones bars will do the job...

... and some Räpha shorts obvs...