TDR bike suitability

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Re: TDR bike suitability

Post by Mike »

Id like to put it out there and say I love my ti camino! Not sure id wanna ride it for that long though in that position however the ti stooge...yes.
Rob Colliver

Post by Rob Colliver »

I did a 100 mm fork on the first run down to Mexico and a Lauf on the second - Lauf is the perfect fork for this type of race as it smooths out the washboard (imagine being on a magic carpet). I know its not pretty, but when you're on the bike you can't see it! Didn't get hand/feet issues either time but did get saddle sores..... having a saddle that you can cut a chunk out of for the welt to sit in until it bursts is a good move.

Comfort is key for this event - my set up almost let me take 40 winks whilst on the aero's and lets you ride for longer.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

jameso wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:08 pm TD might be the one place ever, maybe, where I'd use a Lauf fork. Maybe. : ) More reliable than a telescopic and should be better at the small fast vibrations.
I was suffering more and more with hand pain and the ensuing numbness until I switched to a Lauf fork. Never had an issue when I've had them on the bike.

Tellingly I broke and binned my old Lauf just before last year's Dales Divide and instead rode that on a freshly serviced and very plush telescopic. Back to hand pain and about a month's numbness in one hand afterwards.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

So I raced on a hardtail ( Voodoo Aizan with Reba 100 forks and toured to Hartsel on a Niner emd with Niner rigid carbon forks and noticed little difference in comfort. Probably just preferred Niner.

I have a TD ready bike I did Tour Aotearoa and Bilbao to Caen on and that is a handmade steel (853) frame and Lauf forks which I think would be ideal FOR ME on this sort of adventure. Also Jones bars fwiw.

Lots of good advice up there from others that have done it. Good luck, it's an unforgettable few weeks out.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Off topic.

Pedals?

If your not racing and only touring for the more variety of foot positions would you lot say that flats could be an option?

I'm riding on flats on my fatter wheeled bikes now and I don't think I'd want to got back.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I forgot to mention tyres last night. Back in the day, a whole decade ago, Matthew Lee was talking abut at least 2.1" tyres and that is what I have ridden on long tours. I think next time i would look at wider ones as jameso suggests, although my Lauf forks are limited to 2.3".

Looking at The Cordillera v11 gear survey 82% of respondents rode Maxxis or Vittoria tyres (18% other) with 76% of riders on medium mtb tread- not sure what that actually is.

The same survey found 69% rode rigid forks and 7% had seen the light and used lauf ;-)

i would suggest attitude more important than kit on something like that.

Pedals - seeing John's comment about flats I would probably agree. I have been clipped in for years but for my Bilbao to Caen and again last year riding home from Fort Bill I used flats. On the Bilbao trip I had cheap SUperstar pedals with some Karrimor walking shoes and I quite enjoyed it. If I was to ride TD again I would consider but I would hardly be competitive. Flats didn't hold Alexandera Houchen up much either.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I rode with a guy who used flats with toe clip cages (no straps). May be a good compromise?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Used a alu Superfly...once with bouncy Fox and alu bars...once with rigid Niner RDO and carbon bars. I'll use the same setup - eggbeaters/2.1 Nano or 2.0 NineLine/SDG Belair when I make time to return. Carbon bars/fork was a good combo for me out there.

Greetz

S.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:33 pm Off topic.

Pedals?

If your not racing and only touring for the more variety of foot positions would you lot say that flats could be an option?

I'm riding on flats on my fatter wheeled bikes now and I don't think I'd want to got back.
Doesn't seem to hold Alexandera Houchin back at all. :wink: