Gravel King SK vs WTB Nano, which rolls better?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Gravel King SK vs WTB Nano, which rolls better?

Post by Jurassic »

I've just noticed that the Nano on the rear of my gravel bike is getting a bit past it's best, it's been hidden under a full rear mudguard so I'd not noticed that it was getting worn until I was swapping the parts from my old gravel frame to the new one I've just treated myself to. I like the Nanos but am quite keen to try something different next and I'd pretty much decided on Panaracer Gravel King SKs in 38 width (I can fit wider but have read that the 38 width is the sweet spot with these particular tyres). The one fly in the ointment is a review I read that stated that the Gravel King SK rolls slower than a Nano and I'm particularly interested in a tyre that's a bit faster even if that means losing a small amount of off road ability. Looking at the tread patterns of both tyres it looks to me like the Gravel King would be quicker and my Nanos do buzz and hum on tarmac suggesting that they are dragging a bit, has anyone experienced both tyres and feel able to give an opinion?
My usage of the bike is probably usually about 65% road, 35% off road but during lock down it has been almost exclusively tarmac riding, obviously I'm hoping to be able to get back to exploring off road again soon. TIA for any advice and opinions.
jameso

Re: Gravel King SK vs WTB Nano, which rolls better?

Post by jameso »

Looking at the tread patterns of both tyres it looks to me like the Gravel King would be quicker
I think tread makes a difference between extremes but the casing flexibility seems to make most difference in lowering rolling resistance. Plenty of tests and good/bad science on this online. I have some Conti touring tyres that are slick but a drag to ride as they're just so rigid, also some quite sturdy/stiff casing Maxxis 650B all-road tyres that look fast but feel pretty dead and slower than expected on byways. fwiw I've not ridden the GKs but other file tread tyres I've ridden have felt slower than a slick for almost no increase in useful grip.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Mike's your man to ask, he's just moved from nano's to gravel kings.
I moved recently from G-ones to gravel kings (38mm) and they're ace.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

jameso wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:53 pm
Looking at the tread patterns of both tyres it looks to me like the Gravel King would be quicker
I think tread makes a difference between extremes but the casing flexibility seems to make most difference in lowering rolling resistance.
Thanks James, yes that makes sense. The reviews that said go for the 38 GK not the 43 also said go for the tan wall as it is slightly more supple than the other versions of the same tyre. I'm not keen on the aesthetics of the tan wall (I know lots of people like them) but if I do go for the GKSK I'll probably hold out for the tan wall.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Taylor wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:02 pm Mike's your man to ask, he's just moved from nano's to gravel kings.
I moved recently from G-ones to gravel kings (38mm) and they're ace.
Interesting as the G-One was also on the periphery of my tyre shortlist. Thanks Taylor.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I found the Gravel King SK 43 a fair bit faster rolling than the Nano 40. I did find the Nano 40 a lot more hard wearing than the Gravel King though.

The Gravle King file tread is quicker than the SK.

I found both the Gravel King SK 43 and particularly the File tread much more puncture prone than the Nano though, even when running tubeless. I wount use them again because of this but would happily use Nanos again.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The reviews that said go for the 38 GK not the 43
Was that based on rolling resistance?

I'm considering both these tyres for the new wheelset I'm building for my Arkose. Have the stock Clement Xplor 35s on the original set, and want something more trail-oriented, so was thinking something 40+ (basically as wide as I can fit in, 43 might be pushing it).
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The gravel king 38’s come up just under 40 when fitted
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:17 pm The gravel king 38’s come up just under 40 when fitted
Hmmm, what size rims please? And I take it that's the 700s?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Yep 700’s 17mm internal , , I’ve found that they are much better wearing than the riddlers they replaced and better grip on loose towpaths and fire roads, will you back down this way mr wind after we’re allowed out again ? Me and Para mart are planning a local chase one as soon as we can
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ah OK, your rims are quite narrow - the ones I'm building are 22mm internal. They sound like they could work for me though. I think me mate has some so I will hopefully be able to check the fit before I buy.

I'm sure a visit to the in-laws will be on the cards once we're allowed out, yes, so I'll give you a shout :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 pm
The reviews that said go for the 38 GK not the 43
Was that based on rolling resistance?

I'm considering both these tyres for the new wheelset I'm building for my Arkose. Have the stock Clement Xplor 35s on the original set, and want something more trail-oriented, so was thinking something 40+ (basically as wide as I can fit in, 43 might be pushing it).
It was something I read, some journo rode 43s and 38s back to back and reckoned the 38s were the better all round tyre unless you were riding exclusively rough off road. The 38s were significantly lighter and the guy said they just felt a lot more lively. The 38s seem to end up almost 40mm wide which is the same as the Nanos I'm running and I've not felt the need to go bigger than that so far. Depends on the riding and terrain you ride on I suppose.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

wriggles wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:52 pm

The Gravle King file tread is quicker than the SK.

Yeah, if and when I get a spare pair of dedicated road wheels I'd probably go for them but for all round, one set of wheels to do it all I think I'd need the SKs.
Mike

Post by Mike »

As taylor said iv just put some 38mm sk on the camino. Iv gave them a damn good testing over the last few weeks but it was bone dry, today i hit some really sloppy poor show and clay. I cant say now that the sk was crap in anything but dry hard pack compared to the nano i have been running. I couldnt even get any grip today on small inclines where on nanos i onow i would of for sure. Saying that i really like the sk on hardpack dry trails iv thrown them into corners and they've held but then so did the nano. As for faster im not so sure the 38mm comes up similar to the 42 nano i had. I still like the nano ride if im being honest 🙂
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks Mike and everyone else who's replied. Lots more info for me to ponder but I think that I'm probably just going to have to bite the bullet and give a pair of GKSKs a try. At least I have a benchmark with having done about 2000 miles on Nanos (which have been my first experience of gravel tyres). I'll update this thread with my impressions once I've tried some Gravel Kings in case anyone else is wondering.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Interesting Mike. Let us know how you get on Jurassic :-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've had a set of tan wall 700cx38mm SKs on my bike for a while. I like them. The rear has worn out so I've ordered the slick version (38mm tan wall) to go on the back to see if it I get faster rolling. I normally ride on road, paved paths or fireroads and generally don't do too much trails stuff in the wet.