Numb feet after riding

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

wriggles

Numb feet after riding

Post by wriggles »

Did some long rides last year and experienced sharp pains in 2,3 & 4th toes on both feet and then numb toes for a while afterwards. This has got worse this year. The numb toes have become semi perminent and I get the toe pain after a couple hours. Using Specialized Rime shoes and Time Atac pedals, which have been using for years. Its worse on the road which is what my riding mostly is at the moment due to where I am currently staying.

From what I can see on the internet this is metatarsalgia and could lead to a Mortons neuroma? Obvs at the moment no access to a GP or foot doctor or bike fit.

Anyone else experienced this and what did you do please? Thinking of;
1. Switching to flat pedals
2. Moving cleats back on shoes away from ball of feet when using clipless.
3. Looking for a higher volume shoe (looking at a pair Giro HV shoes at the moment).
4. Looking for a new insole for shoes, but no idea where to look.

Any other ideas? Cheers :-bd
voodoo_simon

Re: Numb feet after riding

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’d start with #2 as Bontrager bike fitting recommends the centre of the clear to be 1cm behind the centre of the ball of the foot. Be the cheapest option to try too :-bd

Also use the Rime shoe, I’d personally find it a little too soft if it’s predominantly road riding but the shoe works well enough for me on mix terrain (three previous shoes have been carbon soled)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I was getting similar pains on 100 milers after getting my new shoes/boots. Best way I can describe what I understood (after lots of reading... or a little) to be happening was that my cleats were too far forward and causing the front of the foot to kindof cling to the spd... Lile a monkey :o

Read up on optimal clest position and reminded myself that the left and right legs/feet are not perfectly symmetrical*. Then realigned both cleats independently of each other and problem gone...

*There's some shoe manufactuers (well.. ok, mayne 1 or just 2) who actually allow you to measure up each foot and sell the exact sizing fir that foot. Crazy, I know... expensive too I think
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'd give 1 a try if you have the bits to do so without spending anything.
All my off road rides are on flats and it gives you plenty of options to move your feet positions around depending on the terrain.

Once you've worked out where the natural position you can go to 2 and set cleats up accordingly if you want to go back to being clipped in.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I changed to flats after getting numb and whilst researching this, and I'm going to stick with them.

Now that I've switched to flats and fitted Jones bars, I'm really enjoying cycling again. No more numb feet or hands, just getting out and enjoying myself. Many of us cyclists can get a little (or a lot) obsessed with our performance. I had to give myself a good talking and remind myself that I was never going to break any records anyway.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Had similar numb feet issue on SPD's. Turned out the screws on the cleats were a touch too long, that combined with a cheap insole meant I was getting vibration directly into the foot. Solved for me with shorter screws, and a thin (but quite stiff) piece of plastic gaffer taped over the screws inside the shoe, a chopped up old mudhugger was ideal.
Never knowingly under biked...
slarge

Post by slarge »

I use Rimes also, and occasionally suffer with numbness in the feet (always the right foot). Especially when it's cold.

I put it down to slightly flexible soles and insufficient insulation between SPD cleat and foot, but so far it's not been bad enough to do anything about changing the shoes. I suspect flats would help as they remove the heat sink problem and also have a bigger platform so the cleat isn't the bit pushing into the foot.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Ive been having the same issue but only with my left foot! What ive found is I have to run my left shoe a bit less tightly fitting and that solves it but strange as the right foot has never had any issues. maybe the metalwork in right one is helping🤔😂
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Thanks for advice all! Well I have moved my cleats back 1cm and test ridden on Turbo. Feels wierd after 20 years of riding with cleats in old position. Will ride today and see how it goes. Have lowered saddle a tad to comensate. Hopefully this wont lead to other issues (knees, lower back etc). Isnt getting old fun!

Have also ordered some flat pedals to run on another bike, which will hopefully allow my feet to rest and recover. Still on hunt for some higher volume shoes and specific inserts as well.

Will update with results.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Flats, it'll provide many shoe options, some of which will lend themselves well to any HaB you may come across and there's the added bonus that you'll learn to ride properly too :-bd :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

where properly means not like a pro....or a grown up :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

WTF's grown up about riding bikes and as 'pro' goes, they all usually look miserable ... I'll stick to enjoying myself in a childish manner :-bd
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:34 am Flats, it'll provide many shoe options, some of which will lend themselves well to any HaB you may come across and there's the added bonus that you'll learn to ride properly too :-bd :wink:
Thought you were busy today on the Bank Holiday :wink: Pleased to say some flat pedals arrived today :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought you were busy today on the Bank Holiday
Shame it wasn't today, you could have all helped me on the roof ... or maybe not. I'm experiencing some soreness behind my left knee where it (quite luckily) hooked itself onto the scaffold when i slipped and fell off on Saturday. 'Twas proper exciting I can tell you. :-bd
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Have you thought about the width of the shoe? I find that most manufacurers of SPD shoes generally make quite narrow shoes and this can cause my toes to go numb.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:35 pm
Thought you were busy today on the Bank Holiday
Shame it wasn't today, you could have all helped me on the roof ... or maybe not. I'm experiencing some soreness behind my left knee where it (quite luckily) hooked itself onto the scaffold when i slipped and fell off on Saturday. 'Twas proper exciting I can tell you. :-bd
See if you fitted cleats to your ladder that wouldnt have happened.... :-bd

(That sounds horrible... i slipped on some steps in the garden 2 weeks ago and landed on the end of a handrail and bruised some ribs. B******r diy, cycling is much safer!)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

metatarsalgia? Sounds like what I’ve been experiencing. It started a while ago as mild pain in the ball of my left foot. Yesterday was the worst yet.
38 miles left me in extreme pain to the extent that I had to take pain killers and ice my foot.
I have very wide feet and bunions caused, no doubt by I’ll fitting footwear, at present I trying toe straighteners but I might try moving the cleats back, I’m also thinking of swapping to XTR trail pedals, the ones with the cage which gives more support. At present I’m using TI Candies, the little cage doesn’t give much support.
My condition also affects walking, I’m thinking a trip to the doc will be in my future although I’m out off by a friend, they had bunion correction surgery. Three months on crutches off work, they then knackered their shoulder from all the crutch use resulting in more surgery.
Let me know how you get on, yesterday was horrible I could hardly pedal and had to resort to unclipping and riding with my feet much further forward.
My problem like many I presume is very long term clipless use, clips and straps before that even off-road.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Steve that sounds similar. The pain is excruciating at its worst.

Well mine isnt getting any better. Even a short ride on clips (with cleats moved back) is bringing back the pain. Rode yesterday on flats and had the same issue, admittedly using a pair of old trainers. Not getting the issue on the turbo trainer, so back to that for next few days. Should probably stop riding for a bit, but thats the only thing keeping me sane at the moment. After 25+ years where pedals/shoes/feet were never an issue its certainly a challenge.

Need to get some new shoes for flat pedals. Also get some inserts that give foot right support. Need to ensure shoes are high enough volume so pleanty of space for inserts.

I read that someone sorted it by lots of foot and lower leg exercises to build up those muscles and get foot working properly again so will try that as well.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I did suffer from plantar fasciitis a while back, it’s the long tendon from the heel apparently.
I invested in some superfeet insoles which seemed to cure that problem. For now I’m concentrating on stretching as I’ve read that tight calves can be an issue.

Also metatarsal pads, I’ve not tried them and I believe placement is crucial, but could be worth a try. I’d definitely recommend the superfeet insoles. They are available in different thicknesses so you should find something to fit.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Gari

Post by Gari »

I recently started using superfeet in all my shoes due to an ongoing knee issue, that was ultimately related to damaged ankles. I mainly went for standard greens but have a set of carbon in my bike shoes, really low volume and what a difference. Expensive, but worth every penny for me. Sometimes your problem can actually lie elsewhere to where your suffering. I was eventually referred to a physio, and she was priceless. She spotted the issue within minutes, despite my gp spending several visits concentrating on the knee. Might be worth a visit/referral.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Did'nt read every post, but have you or do you have your shoes to tight it has been known. if its already been suggested then serves me right. I only say it as i suffered a good few years ago for some reason i felt i needed to have them super tight.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams