Gears for a Gryphon - suggestions pls

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Gears for a Gryphon - suggestions pls

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've one of the original/early Singular Gryphons. I built it up yonks ago when 9 speed was the normal and more than 10spd was only a glimmer in Shimano/SRAM's eyes. I do love it though but having shifted to bigger range rear cassettes and away from 3x or even 2x n other bikes I'm liking that sort of set up.

It's currently got an unholy mash-up of 9spd 105 STI, some MTB FM, middleburn cranks with a 3x, a Deore mech from an Orange Sub5 circa 1998/9 and what I think is an XT 9spd block up to 32. Also running BB7s.

Rear shift is fine though the range is rubbish for me (a riding style that's fine until I get a bit cracked at which point I really quite like low, twiddly gears). But the FM is an absolute dog, renowned for being so IIRC (something to do with MTB FM / cranks and STI shifters, iirc).

So, what do I change to run a 2x10 or even a 1x10 with a small chain ring? I thought about GRX but the frame is IS mount and that group is flat mount. So, shifters that can run cable brakes would be handy.

My thoughts were secondhand 10spd STI, uno the middleburns and a smallish front ring, new wide range 10 spd cassette and whatever RM is workable from spares box.

Thoughts, cock-ups, incompatabilities, alternatives and potentially FS gear that might achieve this all welcome.

😎
Gari

Re: Gears for a Gryphon - suggestions pls

Post by Gari »

I had 105 on my tricross, worked fine tbh. If you get a long cage mech it’s fine up to 32-34, adding a wolf tooth roadlink will get you to 36t easily, possibly/probably a 40t cassette. I had a 36 on mine and there was plenty of spare capacity. I have Middleburns on my current graventure(😊) bike and plan to stick a 32 uno or duo on it.
Just wish someone would make a direct mount oval! This stuff really doesn’t have to be that complicated:)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Gari

Post by Gari »

I read that article recently, there’s some pretty expensive solutions to problems that don’t really exist.
The Garbaruk cassette/mech arm. $426.
The cassette particularly, is a lovely thing and very light. But a Rival shifter/mech will work with a Sunrace 50t cassette with nothing more than a bit of adjustment of the b screw.
The article seems to look for the most torturous and expensive route to a solution that doesn’t need to be. Don’t know if it was written before the current generation of drop bar group sets/drive trains?
Most modern SRAM cx drivetrains will run a big cassette right out of the box. GRX does the same, but again 105 works fine with a £20 road/goatlink, no need to swap a SLX rear mech and then add a Tanpan.
Just my thoughts/observations. YMMV.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bar end shifters, enlightenment beckons :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jameso wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm Bar end shifters, enlightenment beckons :grin:
What he says :-bd

Or for an even more #unique look try some Gevenalle shifters and whatever running gear you fancy

https://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/

As I die hard Rohloff enthusiast the thought of running a 50t cassette fills me with horror...
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have the same thought for bar end shifters tbh.
Plough you’re own field, as they say:)
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Put bar ends on my cdf a month back with 38/24 crankset 11.36 deore cassette and the original 9 speed sora shifter , for some reason the 10 speed deore shifter wouldn’t travel through the cassette but works perfect with the sora
marcinski

Post by marcinski »

jameso wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm Bar end shifters, enlightenment beckons :grin:
Yes, this. As an added bonus you can easily run side swing derailleur and MTB 2x crankset.
36/26 plus 9 or 10 speed 11-40 will take you everywhere (that's what I run on my Gryphon)

Marcin
Chew

Post by Chew »

The question is what are you going to use it for?

If it’s trail riding go 1x if it’s going to be more mixed then go 2x to get a more useful range
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I use a 1 x 9 with a 42 tooth rear extender cog - makes for a big jumpfrom36 but does give a bailout gear - pobably the cheapest solution nd 10 11 or 12 just gives better steps rather than a massive change in ratio
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

A 9 speed cassette with a 36 to 40t low gear will only cost 20-30 quid to experiment. The lower hearing might save you from having to use the ropey front mech so often?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ultimately I anticipated wanting to keep the flexibility of 2x up front. I think I might just wang on a wide range 9spd (if such exists) and try it to determine where to go. Any recommendations?

I like having my hands on the hoods and do most riding from there so bar-end shifters always *feel* a long way away. Saying that I've found some bar-ends in a box so might just give them a whirl at some point too.

It's been lovely on the Camino just running up and down an 11spd block with the STI and that has colored my perceptions a bit. Plus the Gryphon is a weightier beast than the Cam' so I'll probably be thankful for 2x.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Sunrace do an 11-40, about 30 quid in the uk. There are loads of cheap 'direct from China' cassettes on ebay etc for less but they might be awful...

Shimano Alivio 11-36 in chrome is only about 15 quid if you're unsure about your capacity.
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

I’m doing this to a new croix de fer frameset.

https://road.cc/content/feature/246424- ... adventures
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

johnnystorm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:05 pm Sunrace do an 11-40, about 30 quid in the uk. There are loads of cheap 'direct from China' cassettes on ebay etc for less but they might be awful...

Shimano Alivio 11-36 in chrome is only about 15 quid if you're unsure about your capacity.
Had been looking for the Sunrace but either my googlefu is off or they are on back order / long lead times most UK stores.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I like having my hands on the hoods and do most riding from there so bar-end shifters always *feel* a long way away.
I originally thought that, but after a hand full of rides you soon get used to it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Chew wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm
I like having my hands on the hoods and do most riding from there so bar-end shifters always *feel* a long way away.
I originally thought that, but after a hand full of rides you soon get used to it.
I might believe you. Some folks told me the same about the toe lap on the Camino but I'm not buying it 😉🤣

Some good suggestions and useful info, cheers.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Crikey. I bought one of these towards the start of lockdown at full price (£50 - eek!) but they're now reduced to £18.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deore- ... -cassette/