Are Carbon bars worth the ££?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Are Carbon bars worth the ££?

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Aside from saving weight is there any noticeable difference between `bars in aluminium compared with the same in carbon?
Asking from a comfort angle as my arms and shoulders ache after riding, from jarring etc.
Thanks.
TheBrownDog

Re: Are Carbon bars worth the ££?

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ive had a set of EC70 risers for a couple of years, as well as some EA70s. They are exactly the same width, shape and rise and the carbon bars win hands down. Far lighter, for sure, but they are far more comfortable. A couple of hours of bridle paths and what not on board with the aluminium bars and I'll have pretty sore hands and even shoulders. The carbon version just deadens the chatter, but are still stiff when you what them to be. I am very mindful that they need greater care, so aways use a torque wrench when fitting them, or changing brake levers etc.
I'm just going outside ...
Jurassic pusher

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:34 pm Ive had a set of EC70 risers for a couple of years, as well as some EA70s. They are exactly the same width, shape and rise and the carbon bars win hands down. Far lighter, for sure, but they are far more comfortable. A couple of hours of bridle paths and what not on board with the aluminium bars and I'll have pretty sore hands and even shoulders. The carbon version just deadens the chatter, but are still stiff when you what them to be. I am very mindful that they need greater care, so aways use a torque wrench when fitting them, or changing brake levers etc.
Thanks, thats just the sort of comparison I was hoping for, 37 years as a Carpenter has nearly wrecked my shoulder joints!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think some will depend on the size and shape of the bar. Something like a loop bar by its nature is heavily braced so the 'flexi' nature of carbon may not be so noticeable.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yes, not all carbon bars are equal. I’ve actually found some cheaper options to have a good balance of stiffness and comfort. I’ve been especially impressed with Exotic flat bars - amazingly light and super comfy. On-One Chewy Knuckleball is nice too
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

As Charlie said above chewy knuckleballs are quite flexible but in a comfy, nice way.
Carbon loops are much better than the alloy version but still quite stiff.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In my experience carbon is that much more comfortable in bar terms, I've rendered any of my alu bars 'retired' and even sold on my monkeybars which were my bwst at one point (long time ago, I know... but still kept em for a future best bike for ages)...

Carbon :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have some Raceface SixC carbon bars on my Orbea that will be coming off. They are the stiffest bars I've ever known (and have a reputation for being so).
Jurassic pusher

Thanks for the replies, it would seem that Carbon (on the whole) is worth it, I assume the same would apply to drop bars as well as flat?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Taylor wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:09 pm As Charlie said above chewy knuckleballs are quite flexible but in a comfy, nice way.
Carbon loops are much better than the alloy version but still quite stiff.
Carbon cuts are the way to go if you can find a pair.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:32 pm I have some Raceface SixC carbon bars on my Orbea that will be coming off. They are the stiffest bars I've ever known (and have a reputation for being so).
I've had some for years, they are indeed stiff. I also have a set of Atlas bars (alloy) also ridiculously stiff.

Both need replacing, but.. ££
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Have you looked at the Selcof ones on PX?
I tried some but they don't work. :cry:
I still cant manual. :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

As a curve ball, when Spank launched their vibrocore range, a friend of mine tried mimicking the concept by spraying expanding foam into his bars. He reckoned it worked a treat.

Sample size =1, YMMV etc., but could be a cheap experiment to improve your comfort?
jameso

Post by jameso »

I used to like the Easton, Kalloy or Profile carbon risers I had over most Al options. But now I ride Jones loops that are really stiff and find those far comfier overall. In the same time my wheels have gone from 26 x 2.25 to 29 x 2.4. So as part of the mix carbon can help but it's subtle imo. A fine tune if needed when everything else is right.

The comfiest drop bars I have are Al, they're wide and nicely springy. Get a 2014 series bar that's thinner wall than the 6061 equivalent and they can feel a bit comfier / flexier. Same sort of subtle differences as between Al and carbon risers, I'd say. But I'm generally happier on metal bars.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Landslide wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:47 am As a curve ball, when Spank launched their vibrocore range, a friend of mine tried mimicking the concept by spraying expanding foam into his bars. He reckoned it worked a treat.

Sample size =1, YMMV etc., but could be a cheap experiment to improve your comfort?
That's a bloody good idea. I shall be giving that a go. Yep.
I'm just going outside ...
Rob Colliver

Post by Rob Colliver »

I have the ali and carbon USE Flow bars cos I like the 40mm rise on them; the ali bars go on for winter training (most lightly time for me to crash on the wet chalk) and the carbons for the rest of the year..... the carbon bars are much kinder to my wrists. Well worth the price difference for me.
Bedmaker

Post by Bedmaker »

I think for bars, carbon really is better. Not in a massively life changing way, but worth a bit of spend all the same.

I have a pair of Jones carbon loops I bought in 2014 when they were just How much? as opposed to HOW MUCH!!!!!! currently.
They really are very good. The longer the day in the saddle, the greater the benefit.

I also have a Whisky No9 flat bar which is remarkably comfy and flexy, but never feels flexy in a bad way even on the SS. I dan't actually use it very often, which bugs me a bit as it is so lovely.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

There are definitely differences between different brands and models of carbon bars. I had Easton Haven carbon bars which were great but decided to replace them with Renthal Carbon Fat Bars. I expected the Renthals to be at least as stiff as the Eastons but they actually felt much "softer". I should add that I only noticed this for a couple of rides before the feeling became my new normal. I also have a bike with RaceFace Next R carbon bars which are very stiff as others have stated. It's probably worth bearing in mind if you do decide to go for carbon bars for comfort rather than just assuming that all carbon bars will be more forgiving than alloy ones.
Last edited by Jurassic on Sun May 03, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

probably if rigid not as obvious if you have suspension because its unlikely you bottom them out on a ride
Jurassic pusher

Landslide wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:47 am As a curve ball, when Spank launched their vibrocore range, a friend of mine tried mimicking the concept by spraying expanding foam into his bars. He reckoned it worked a treat.

A great idea, and if it doesn`t "work" then no harm done!
Bedmaker wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:28 am

I have a pair of Jones carbon loops I bought in 2014 when they were just How much? as opposed to HOW MUCH!!!!!!
[/quote
Yeah, I thought that, HOW MUCH!!
Lazarus wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:50 pm probably if rigid not as obvious if you have suspension because its unlikely you bottom them out on a ride
]
Good point, I have no suspension
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bedmaker wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:28 am I also have a Whisky No9 flat bar which is remarkably comfy and flexy, but never feels flexy in a bad way even on the SS. I dan't actually use it very often, which bugs me a bit as it is so lovely.
From own experience with Whisky bars - they are indeed flexy (in a positive way).
I like to think that there's a correlation between weight and flex. A 780 mm bar at 200 g likely will have more flex than a 240 g bar of the same width. Of course there's different carbon lay-ups, composites and what not, but as a general rule it may be worth considering.

A colleague runs a Spank Vibracore bar on his Trek Fuel EX and felt a slight difference when he swapped over from a Raceface bar (can't remember which). He kind of joked that it must be Placebo. Would be interesting to run a blind test...
Lazarus wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:50 pm probably if rigid not as obvious if you have suspension because its unlikely you bottom them out on a ride
You still feel the chatter, no matter how smooth the suspension. There's more than biaxial forces when riding.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

I work as a lead engineer in NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) for a fairly well known car manufacturer, I'm really tempted to take an objective measure of carbon versus ally handle bars for curiositys sake. Vibration comfort is basically my day job! Any particular bars people are interested in?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

No Ti fans?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

rich.mike wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:40 pm I work as a lead engineer in NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) for a fairly well known car manufacturer, I'm really tempted to take an objective measure of carbon versus ally handle bars for curiositys sake. Vibration comfort is basically my day job! Any particular bars people are interested in?
Jones Loops, Al vs Carbon :geek:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Jurassic pusher

rich.mike wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:40 pm I work as a lead engineer in NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) for a fairly well known car manufacturer, I'm really tempted to take an objective measure of carbon versus ally handle bars for curiositys sake. Vibration comfort is basically my day job! Any particular bars people are interested in?
Salsa Cowchippers in Alu v Carbon?
This sounds like it could be an expensive experiment!