Are Carbon bars worth the ££?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Re: Are Carbon bars worth the ££?

Post by Jurassic pusher »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 pm No Ti fans?
I`ve never tried Ti bars I would imagine they are very nice, I see Thompson ones are reasonable pricewise, not sure if Jones still sell Ti loops but last time I looked they made Carbon look a bargain!
Could be worth looking into.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got 'Seven' Ti bars on my Stooge and very nice they are. Not bendy or noodly but very comfy. However, I feel that some of that might also be because they're a very untrendy 25.4mm. I personally believe bar diameter makes a real difference to comfort. Obviously increasing diameter will nearly always increase rigidity.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ooh damn

I really shouldn't google "titanium handlebars" before breakfast
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:08 am not sure if Jones still sell Ti loops but last time I looked they made Carbon look a bargain!
The ti loops are still on the Jones website. They're a strange bar though, more expensive than the carbon but heavier than the butted ally version. So is that the worst of both worlds? The website lists them as 570g* so with that much ti in them not sure how comfy they'd be?

Just looked up the Thomson ti flat bar, at 740mm wide, 12 deg sweep they weight 310g so perhaps ti bars aren't as light as I thought they would be?

*My large ti Salsa frame was 1850g on my scales so that's not much over the weight of 3 ti loops for comparison. And the frame has some large/thick plate and tube sections at the bb and rear dropouts.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mart

Post by Mart »

Wotsits wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:06 pm
rich.mike wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:40 pm I work as a lead engineer in NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) for a fairly well known car manufacturer, I'm really tempted to take an objective measure of carbon versus ally handle bars for curiositys sake. Vibration comfort is basically my day job! Any particular bars people are interested in?
Jones Loops, Al vs Carbon :geek:
I’ve had both - The carbons are so good at reducing vibration
Fecking expensive mind but never regretted getting then
2924 miles per Gallon